Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Need Flats boat radio/speakers info

Whats everyone using?i have been kicking around the idea of adding a radio and a couple speakers.not looking to blast the stereo when running just some tunes maybe while fishing and hanging out with the kids.i dont want a large stereo with cd , just a radio and maybe iphone hook up.im not trying to spend a bunch of dough but would like a system thats gonna last.also would like the smallest footprint on the center console possible.i like this so far

http://www.rocktheboatmarinestereo.com/cgi-bin/cart2.cgi?action=link&product=65659&uid=1108279
Or
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_822PRV170/JBL-PRV170.html?tp=61742&awkw=55436521585&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=26409025945&awdv=t

thanks guys

Replies

• Capt. ChrisCapt. Chris Posts: 25 Deckhand
    Maybe Tony will chime in. He's the one I would ask as I am "out of the loop" on the latest stereo equipment.
    Capt. Chris Hampton
    Sea Tow St. Augustine
  • rookiemistakerookiemistake Posts: 1,174 Officer
    Yup those guys are doing my trim tab/ controls install.i was just looking for product reviews from other members.maybe ill have money left over for a stereo haha
  • MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
    Yup those guys are doing my trim tab/ controls install.i was just looking for product reviews from other members.maybe ill have money left over for a stereo haha

http://www.mpgmarineservices.com/ are doing your install?

Let me know how that goes since I have a number of projects I want them to do.
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
    No todd and tony, im scheduled for the 9th but thats for fiberglass work i think
  • ShelShel Posts: 1,066 Officer

I was looking for the same thing when I replaced my stereo, didn't need 500 watts and **** amps, just something that sounded decent when I was out trolling or bottomfishing. Went with the Sony DSX-MS60. No CD but IPhone or flashdrive hook-up. I loaded up about 1700 songs on a flash drive and that's what I generally pop in when I'm on the water. You can scramble the music selections or play whatever tracks you want to. I will say this, Sony didn't have the best rep for corrosion issues years ago but I've been told this is a non issue for them now. I did install mine on the dash but also have it behind one of those inexpensive radio covers and highly recommend doing the same. Almost 2.5 years old now, not a speck of corrosion on it and no issues. I hooked up to inexpensive West Marine speakers and it does the job for me. Sure, there are better and more expensive systems out there but I'd rather spend the money on gas to go fish. One little tip I'll share about the remotes. I put mine in a vaccum bag, cut it to size and sealed it (do not use the vaccum, only seal). Once I'm on the boat, I put the flash drive in the unit and I never have to open the radio cover again, just use the remote to operate the stereo. With the remote sealed in plastic, no exposure to the salt enviroment and the remote will actually last longer than a couple years. Anyway, here's a link to the Sony. Bought mine at Best Buy in Orange Park, not all the stores keep the marine stereos in stock. Just copy and paste the link in your browser.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/52w-x-4-apple-174-ipod-174-satellite-radio-ready-marine-in-dash-deck/1985059.p?id=1218304516004&skuId=1985059&st=categoryid$pcmcat156300050013&cp=1&lp=2
  • Jettyrat3200Jettyrat3200 Posts: 148 Deckhand
    http://www.westmarine.com/audio-amplifiers/fusion--ms-am100-zone-amplifier--9673963

This is what i am running on my flats boat. Its very small with a ipod / phone hookup. All you need is power, speakers, and the cord to hook up your phone.
    Keep it clean guys.just wanted to talk radios....i think todd has another electronics guy that he uses.. And he schedules the work.

Thanks jetty i also thought about that but i need my phone handy and dont want to stow it away while my kids are in school ,which is when i fish mostly.

i also thought about the gauge style radios but they all seem to have bad reviews except :
    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_822PRV170/JBL-PRV170.html?tp=61742&awkw=55436521585&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=26409025945&awdv=t
    But they are out of stock everywhere....
  • BoattronicsBoattronics Posts: 5,215 Admiral
    Todd answers my calls, writes my schedule, etc and does a helluva job.

Rookiemistake,

One option you may want to look at is just doing a small amp, some speakers and a bluetooth reciever. Fusion makes a digital marine grade amp that fits in the palm of your hand for $100. Add two or four speakers, and the $50 bluetooth adapter, and you are jammin! We do this setup often with great success.
    Tony Eden-
    Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
    Boattronics.net
    Over 80 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
    Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
    904-545-1270
  • Black PearlBlack Pearl Posts: 1,155 Officer
    I just picked up this Fusion a few months ago for my Hewes. I was like you and didn't want a huge sound system but I wanted something that sounded good had good reviews. This thing went in very easy within a few hours and sounds great. We can hear it clearly from the sand bar and as long as I'm not WOT I can hear it while running. Its very simple to operate and at a cost of only $170, it seemed like the best deal for what I wanted. Good luck and let us know what you get.

Tony
    Fusion 50
    http://www.westmarine.com/marine-stereo-systems/fusion--ms-ra50-stereo-ms-el602-speaker-package--14782015
    "Great Daye Fishing Team"
    '14 Pathfinder 22 TRS (sold :()
    Yamaha F200
    Todd answers my calls, writes my schedule, etc and does a helluva job.

Rookiemistake,

One option you may want to look at is just doing a small amp, some speakers and a bluetooth reciever. Fusion makes a digital marine grade amp that fits in the palm of your hand for $100. Add two or four speakers, and the $50 bluetooth adapter, and you are jammin! We do this setup often with great success.

Tony,

How much output does that little amp put out?

Tony
    Yamaha F200
    I think thats what im going to get. I like the radio feature , it has iphone capabilities and it comes with speakers..
    yep!
    Yamaha F200
  • kajokajo Posts: 4,620 Moderator
    cleaned up to keep on topic..
    dave
    julington creek carpet care

www.jccarpetcare.com
  • Anonymous3Anonymous3 Posts: 5,987 Officer
    If this board doesn't allow both positive and negative views any more..... I'm done.
    Man ,usually you get more info cause the posters come back to check the smack talk and add a little more help.....
    That little amp is surprising.... powers two or even four speakers pretty good. Off the top of my head, its like 50watts per channel.
    Tony Eden-
    Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
    Boattronics.net
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
    Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
    904-545-1270
    kajo wrote: »
    cleaned up to keep on topic..
    dave

I do believe my posts were absolutely on topic. I gave a recommendation and I gave a factual, honest, and accurate account of my experience with another recommendation. If the statements I made were not accurate I am sure that those businesses would respond to that fact.

I suggest that is EXACTLY what we should be doing when someone asks for a recommendation.
  • zmgsvtzmgsvt Posts: 302 Deckhand

Best way to go. No head unit to be exposed. Just hook up my phone via Bluetooth and choose a playlist or pandora. Less holes, nothing exposed to salt and less money.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  • austinhaustinh Posts: 68 Deckhand
    Menzies wrote: »
    I do believe my posts were absolutely on topic. I gave a recommendation and I gave a factual, honest, and accurate account of my experience with another recommendation. If the statements I made were not accurate I am sure that those businesses would respond to that fact.

I suggest that is EXACTLY what we should be doing when someone asks for a recommendation.

Im on my sons computer because I dont remember my pass word. Its been a long time since visiting FS. I usually ignore fols like Menzies. My business site is under construction and emails arnt forwarded yet. There is a phone numer and Menzies has not called it. Instead he goes and starts BS on a forum. He did the same thing a year or two ago about a builder that I am friends with. He had no involvement in the dispute yet felt compelled to post the builders corporate and state licensing information. Its a sad situation when an adult has to behave that way. So Menzies can count on me not answering an email or if he mans up and dials the phone a returned call. Some people arnt worth working for. Tight lines, Captain Todd Harris.
    167 Egret Carbon/Kevlar
    How do ya'll listen to the football games ?
    Wade, there is some great radio phone apps. And usually, you can go to any radio stations web site, and they will have a live feed you can click on. The phone plays through the stereo system via a headphone jack, or bluetooth adapter.
    Tony Eden-
    Boattronics.net
    904-545-1270
    Wade, there is some great radio phone apps. And usually, you can go to any radio stations web site, and they will have a live feed you can click on. The phone plays through the stereo system via a headphone jack, or bluetooth adapter.

I still have a phone with the rotary dial. How do I use it to access these apps, I couldn't find anything in the owners manual ?
    Lol... I bet I could show ya how on your phone too. You going to the cobia par-tay tonight?
    Tony Eden-
    Boattronics.net
    904-545-1270
    Nah, I am staying home, working in the shop as I do every night. I need to wire my work tables so that I will stop tripping on extension cords.
    austinh wrote: »
    Im on my sons computer because I dont remember my pass word. Its been a long time since visiting FS. I usually ignore fols like Menzies. My business site is under construction and emails arnt forwarded yet. There is a phone numer and Menzies has not called it. Instead he goes and starts BS on a forum. He did the same thing a year or two ago about a builder that I am friends with. He had no involvement in the dispute yet felt compelled to post the builders corporate and state licensing information. Its a sad situation when an adult has to behave that way. So Menzies can count on me not answering an email or if he mans up and dials the phone a returned call. Some people arnt worth working for. Tight lines, Captain Todd Harris.

If you bothered to check you phone you will find you did get a call from me right after Tony gave me your number.

I am not going to get into it with you on this local forum. Your choice on how selective you want to be about where you get your business.
    Lol... I bet I could show ya how on your phone too. You going to the cobia par-tay tonight?

Dag nabit! I always miss the good parties! At least we still have the GJKMT meeting. And I still have coins from last year.
    Yamaha F200
    I hope you can make it to the forum bash Tony!
    Tony Eden-
    Boattronics.net
    904-545-1270
    I hope you can make it to the forum bash Tony!

Oh you know Im not gonna miss that. Ill be back next month.
    Yamaha F200
    Maybe Tony will chime in. He's the one I would ask as I am "out of the loop" on the latest stereo equipment.

How have ya been Chris ? It's been a while....
  • coachgun1coachgun1 Posts: 307 Deckhand
    Tony @ Boattronics,Check your PM,s.