best 100 $ reel

Looking to invest in a new reel for 100 $ or a little more for a reel in the 2500 or 3000 size but im sick of having problems so what is your most reliable reel?
Tight Lines:fishing

Replies

• SwampsquashSwampsquash Posts: 164 Officer
    I bought some of the new penn spinfisher 3500....maybe a bit bigger the 3000 you want and about 125-135 on e b a y. But I love them so far.....very solid reel and they are "sealed"....I string them with power pro and have had no issues..

good luck
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Daiwa Tournament SS is the best ~$100 Inshore Reel available...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,154 Moderator
    As much as I am a Daiwa fan, you can't beat the Shimano Symetre for $99, or even a Penn Battle at the same price
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,283 Admiral
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • Baja280Baja280 Posts: 440 Deckhand
    i have 2 shimano symetre for the last 4 years.....and they perform like day one. Awesome reel for 100 bar-none.
    Premium Auto Body and Collision
    Anything from Hot Rods to Bentleys
    Also work with ALL Insurance Carriers
    941-685-3540
  • anejo22anejo22 Posts: 1,511 Officer
    Got two 7 years old one needs some love the other is still good as day one and they get fished a lot symetre all the way.
  • minowjoeminowjoe Posts: 717 Officer
    penn fierce
  • FishWithChrisFishWithChris TallahasseePosts: 138 Deckhand
    I have a Penn Conflict in 2500 which I enjoy quite a bit, pulled in plenty upper/just over slot reds.

I also have a Shimano Symetre (new style) that I absolutely love.

Go with the Symetre. srsly..
    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark
  • dieselbeefdieselbeef Posts: 652 Officer
    penn fierce..........yeah these are are great. ive got 3 of em...get em on sale at **** for less than 100
    16 ccf wellcraft.....
  • jimmy77jimmy77 Posts: 1,689 Captain
    I've been very happy with my Shimano Sahara reels. I've got an older model and a new one. Those that have fished both the Sahara and Symetre, is there that much of a difference? The price point is almost the same with the Sahara being a few dollars cheaper.

According to the Shimano site the Sahara has 3 SS Bearings to the Symetre's 4 S A-RB Bearings. The gear ratio for the 4000 class is 5.8:1 to 5.7:1 respectively.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FlatsFrenzyFlatsFrenzy Posts: 893 Officer
    As much as I am a Daiwa fan, you can't beat the Shimano Symetre for $99, or even a Penn Battle at the same price

Yup. I am phasing out my Penn Battles and replacing with Shimano Symetres of the same size mounted on St Croix Mojo Inshore rods.

I have two Penn Fierce reels that I have on Ugly Sticks...those are for my kids to throw out shrimp under a cork. I wouldn't use them for anything else.

I would use the Battle as a live/cut bait reel or a kayak reel. Its heavier but tougher. The Symetre feels MUCH better throwing artificials.
    -
    Chris
    Gulf Coast of FL
    @flatsfrenzy #flyonly #onelessspinrod
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,283 Admiral
    jimmy77 wrote: »
    I've been very happy with my Shimano Sahara reels. I've got an older model and a new one. Those that have fished both the Sahara and Symetre, is there that much of a difference? The price point is almost the same with the Sahara being a few dollars cheaper.

According to the Shimano site the Sahara has 3 SS Bearings to the Symetre's 4 S A-RB Bearings. The gear ratio for the 4000 class is 5.8:1 to 5.7:1 respectively.

I also have both and I can't say there's much of a difference. The Max drag is 15 on both. I have older model Symetres that have the screw that you can oil the gears like the old stadic. I was at sports authority and a sales rep who was there told me the Symetre was basically the older model stradic. I was lucky and got 3 Symetre 4000 for $65 a piece. I still have 2 in the box, so until they get ruined or lost I'm a Symetre man. Both are solid reels.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • GillsGoneWildGillsGoneWild Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    :Popcorn
    The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction to it's lonely freedom... :USA
  • GILS_GONE_WILDGILS_GONE_WILD Posts: 111 Officer
    I see there's another GillsGoneWild. Do not confuse him or his posts with the otherl GILS_GONE_WILD. :)

Thanks!!!

Gil
  • JuicebucketJuicebucket Posts: 139 Officer
    Fished a buddys Symetre a couple weeks ago and went straight home and bought one. I have 3 Ci4 Stradics I have to take in at least once a year for various problems and the Symetre fished every bit as good as they ever did out of the box for less than half the price.
    Go home when the fishings done.
    Commercial fish murderer.
  • Red-ManRed-Man Posts: 331 Deckhand
    Symetre or sahara, cant go wrong with either. Never tried a penn battle. The penn fierce is ok but seem to get a lot of line twist and wind knots with them using braid. Just like any reel though, wash them thoroughly at the end of the day and keep them oiled...easy maintenance.