Night Fishing Ft Desoto Ect

joeymjoeym Posts: 62 Greenhorn
Hello Fellows Anglers,

I have been fishing out of my Mohawk canoe for 15 years in the bay/Flats as such. I especially love the hunting aspect while I fish in terms of figuring out patterns no matter what the circumstances. Anyways, having said all that fish stuff, I want to learn about night fishing as well for reds/trout, ect. I have done it from time to time in Desoto with rather poor results. Let me tell you what I did do while out. I noticed a lot of shark fins swimming around for sure. I was a bit creeped out the whole time. My son was younger and always went with me for partnership. Now he's older and not around much so I go myself. I find this too risky.Anyone else do the same? If so maybe best to partner with our own rigs but at least its not as much of a risk. What say you?:USA

Joe
Tampa
Joe
Tampa, FLorida

"Finding the pattern is what I live for, the more challenging, the better"

Replies

• Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    Welcome to the forum!

Night fishing from a kayak takes a special breed, though I'm sure you are at more risk of getting hit by a boat, than eaten by a shark. I don't hear much about flats fishing at night, probably because it's such a visual endeavor than other types of fishing.
    cuda-title2_zpsb81e4f1d.jpg
    greggl wrote: »
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
    Think you're pretty clever? Think again. Time for a break.
    :rotflmao
  • mjrudd1mjrudd1 Posts: 267 Deckhand
    I've had a lot more success at night around bridges & other lighted structure. Drum, tarpon, snook, sharks, trout, ladyfish, etc often bite well at night in those areas. A friend likes to gig rough species at night for a while after we fish afternoons in his boat - I don't see much activity on the flats after dark when I go out with him. Mullet, stingrays and sharks are the most active. I use clamp on / battery operated bow & stern lights that I can move from one yak to another, and with a handheld light to alert others that get near, I can be safe enough and legal. Colored lens headlamp lets me see well and not loose my night vision. Night can be a productive time to fish, and especially nice in the heat of summer. I would think nearer to docks, toward St Pete or over around Anna Maria, would be more productive if you don't want to mess with the currents & boat traffic at the bridges.
  • joeymjoeym Posts: 62 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the feedback. For some reason Im sure night fishing the flats can be fun , safe, and productive. Lets see what else is feedback from the forum.
    Joe
    Tampa, FLorida

• mjrudd1mjrudd1 Posts: 267 Deckhand
    Fishing the way you like is important. Good luck! Please let us know how it goes for you. It will certainly be safer out there in the open where you can see and be seen. A jerk in a power boat zooming through bridge supports without looking for people that might be fishing is bad in daylight, worse at night.
  • joeymjoeym Posts: 62 Greenhorn
    Thanks forum members . I am just talking basic flats fishing at night. Any insights experiences or suggestions?
    Joe
    Tampa, FLorida

• cag215cag215 Posts: 47 Deckhand
    It's a little early in the season but I do night time fishing at Desoto and other places.
    Live bait free lined or on a bobber is my choice. I look for places where the water flows on the moving tides. I like to sit in one spot and let the bait do all the work. If the baits not kickin, then I put a fresh one on.
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    I'd give it a shot on a weeknight I think shell key area would be safe.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr