Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Should the Jags draft Johnny Manziel?

Bring some excitement to the team. It's the perfect situation for him and for the Jags.
Mike

Replies

• tagtag Posts: 8,860 Admiral
    Most of the excitement Johnny brings is exploiting weaknesses in the defense. The Vets in the NFL will stuff him. If he could be taught to work the pocket he'd do fine. With his attitude I don't think that will happen.

Either way Gabbert is gone and I'd be good with a Manziel pick
  • dlagatordlagator Posts: 790 Officer
    I don't know if they should...But I sure would like for them to do it. You just never know...the kid can chunk the ball and is obviously a threat to make a big play every time he gets the football in his hands. Whether it translates to the NFL remains to be seen. But it wouldn't hurt my feelings if they took a shot at him.
  • ChuckDChuckD Posts: 1,474 Officer
    Won't mind if they do, don't think they will.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ChuckD wrote: »
    Won't mind if they do, don't think they will.

I don't think they will either. I'm betting they won't take a QB until the 2nd or 3rd round. By then Manziel will be gone.
  • ThefourseasThefourseas Posts: 320 Deckhand
    I think Jags are working towards a passing team. We have been rushing for way to many years. They need a QB early.
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,500 Admiral
    Manziel is a novelty....like was already said...he'll get smashed in the NFL.

That being said....with our track record of drafted QB's....well, why not?...It can't hurt !!!

It'll be fun while it lasts.......
  • The MidgeThe Midge Posts: 481 Deckhand
    He would be better than what we had but I don't think it's a good draft for the long haul. I wouldn't spend the money on him for some short quick fix. He will run around like a nut for the first year making folks look stupid though, mark my words. His first year will be fun!
  • DemereDemere Posts: 1,464 Officer
    I agree with the comments about him getting smacked up pretty soon in the NFL - he's just too small and takes off too often. If we could pick him up cheap in a late round it might be worth it.
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Cam is a lot bigger/tougher & is currently having ankle surgery after only a couple of seasons (& there are other similar style QBs w/similar stories). Johnny won't last a season...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • CoydogCoydog Posts: 418 Deckhand
    If they take any QB in the 1st I am done with the team.

None of the QB's that are ranked high are worth selecting where the Jags will be picking. Then throw in that 1)none of them (to my knowledge) has played in an NFL style offense and 2) are underclassmen.

In particular to Manziel, the kid may be athletic, but he doesn't really read a defense, he just looks at pass option 1 and maybe 2 and then runs. As an NFL QB he will be expected to sit in the pocket and let the play develop and use his feet to extend the play, not to become the play.

Frankly, the team should go either Clowney or Mack. Pass Rush is crucial in the NFL right now, and these two can very easily be the anchor to a great Defense. I know many will point to our FA signings on the DLine, but are you serious? Your willing to pass up a player like Clowney or Mack just because we have 4+ Dlinemen 30yrs or older? You also need to remember that Gus prefers to rotate the dline in and out often to ensure they are more effective for more of the game. I do think even Beadles and some of our own OLinemen mentioned this about the Seattle dline. Since they were subbed more often they didn't tire out as fast as teams that just left in dlinemen.

I will end with this. On the D-side of the ball, Dave and Gus have got the Jags what could be a very solid CB and Safety play in the players they drafted. Now all that is needed is to get some LB and Dline along those lines and one side of the ball is very much taken care of. It would be to the point where we have impact players on all 4 levels (Line, LB, CB, S) and then can just add more depth. On the O-side we still need to get better talent on the line, at TE, at QB and at WR.
  • brad safreedbrad safreed Posts: 562 Officer
    He's just another Tebow. Great college QB, good kid. Not an NFL QB.
    He's just another Tebow. Great college QB, good kid. Not an NFL QB.

I am not even sure at that. I think Tebow could have been a phenomenal NFL player, just not as a QB. I think he would have been awesome as a FB or TE. I mean, put him in as a FB you can just create a nightmare just on Play action etc. While he is still a FB or TE you can still work with him as a QB and let him also be your 3rd string QB. Wont get much playing time but the huge upside is you can dress 3 QBs for game day but only have 1 that is really riding the bench. Your 1st string QB and then Tebow who would have been in as TE/FB and maybe even on special teams etc.
  • mikeg32225mikeg32225 Posts: 567 Officer
    M Jones Drew is gone. He was a great player for us. Wish him the best.
    Mike
  • MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
    Gone to Oakland. Will be out of the league in three years.
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
    Menzies wrote: »
    Gone to Oakland. Will be out of the league in three years.

Not even that, I see him having 1 to 2 if that. He is very old in RB terms and tons of wear and tear.
  • AAnglerAAngler Posts: 340 Deckhand
    I have it on good authority that the Jags plan to take a Long-Snapper with the 3rd pick in this year's NFL Draft!
    I think they really like Derrick Carr and Zach Mettenburger.

They gotta draft someone and should every year in some round.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AAngler wrote: »
    I have it on good authority that the Jags plan to take a Long-Snapper with the 3rd pick in this year's NFL Draft!

Different GM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I think they really like Derrick Carr and Zach Mettenburger.

They gotta draft someone and should every year in some round.

I think they will, but really don't think they will draft one of the top 3 unless they are still there in later rounds.

One thing I don't like about Carr is his small hands. Makes him more prone to cough up the ball when sacked and in inclement weather hinders a good grip and thus reducing accuracy.
    True, Manning has small hands tho, wears a glove. Bridgewater has small hands too and three all college with a glove. Threw at his pro-day without and was some question to his hand size. They say Carr might be the real deal. Such a crap shoot. If I had to take one of the top three, would definitely be Manziel.

Wouldn't mind Watkins or Mack either.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    True, Manning has small hands tho, wears a glove. Bridgewater has small hands too and three all college with a glove. Threw at his pro-day without and was some question to his hand size. They say Carr might be the real deal. Such a crap shoot. If I had to take one of the top three, would definitely be Manziel.

Wouldn't mind Watkins or Mack either.

Which manning? From what I have tried to google it is said that Peyton actually has large hands. Eli has relatively smaller hands compared to Peyton.

If I was to take one of the Top 3 it would be Bortles. HUGE knock on Manziel is his ego, he seems to see running as read number 2 or 3. Manziel is gonna have to really learn to read a defense, and I ask this simple question, can he? And if he doesn't is it a problem of him not understanding how to read them or just trusting his feet to get him out of trouble if he reads it wrong.

I mean, look at the scrambling QBs right now. RG3 (Knee) , Newton (ankle) and CK (foot). Not sure of how they got them, but since they are scramblers I do think majority of them were influenced by running plays. RG3 knee problem was part of a tackle by Ngata while he was throwing but a lot of people are thinking he was injured before that hit and the hit only made the injury even worse.

Some reason, when I see Bortles, the way he carries himself, I see a Tom Brady-esque type of QB. I am not saying he IS going to be the next TB, but just the way he carries himself, the way he approaches/looks at the game.

As far as the others, I do like A.J McCarron. So-So on Mettenberger and the others.
    A.J McCarron's stock dropped with me during his last few games. What about Aaron Murray from Georgia?
  • AAnglerAAngler Posts: 340 Deckhand
    tag wrote: »
    What about Aaron Murray from Georgia?
    That's the Sleeper...A little short, but he is a competitor. Holds most all the career SEC Passing records including touchdowns and total offense. No surprise that Manziel holds a lot of the same single-season records. He and Manziel 7 years from now will be the only QBs you will even hear about or see.
    Bortles could be a surprise, but I doubt it. There is a big difference playing in the SEC, ACC, Big 10, Big 12 or the PAC12 vs the AAC. With all respect intended to UCF and the AAC, the depth of superior athletes that they face is negligible. Therefore I say Bortles may have the skills but he's going in baseball terms - "from Single A to the Bigs". In realism he may be the second coming, but if he were, you should have seen him at UF, SC, UT or even UNC and not UCF.
    Huge issue with Murray is that though he has a ton of positives, his main weakness is his size. He did have a lot of balls knocked down at the line of scrimmage over his college career which is really concerning.

As far as not being from the SEC, to me that's moot. And last I checked the ACC did beat SEC for the BCS championship.
  • ReefRocketReefRocket Jacksonville BeachPosts: 987 Officer
    I am a Ga boy and think Murray is much higher precession passer than Mutzenburger and he has an extra year in the SEC. Without support, P.Manning would fail. He got hurt running when trying to show he could run and pass like the rest of them. Sad part is he had not been running so he tore a acl on a quick cut trying to prove he could run. He is a pretty dang good pocket passer.
    I like the runners. I was surprised to learn that QB Mark B. was our 3rd best runner on the team.

I would like to see Jags pick up more WR and Defense to build the team stronger, then the QB position can be one of the 2nd or 3rd round.

It is safer for the coach and GM to pick later...if they pick 1st round and miss, they loose their job. I am sure they would like to keep making millions a year and build the team slowly...that way they last longer as long as we keep getting better.

Getting better shouldn't be hard to do.
    Bobby Riggins, 904-626-8407,
    REALTOR® AT EXIT REAL ESTATE GALLERY
    www.fl4sell.com