Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Heading out over the weekend Sat, Sun and Monday

Well, seems this weekend, besides the T-storms on Fri and Sat, should be decent weather as far as Solunar activity is supposed to be very high.

I am planning to head over to Pablo Creek again, or willing to try around the Ferry on Heckscherer Dr.

To be clear, I'll be fishing from shore.

So you really don't have to go check the tides, I'll just post them:

Sat (Moon = Waning Crescent)
Lows 2:15am (-.6) 2:39pm (-.6)
High 8:49 (4.2) 9:12 (4.5)

Sun (Moon = Waning Cresent)
Low 3:07am (-.6) 3:26pm (-.6)
High 9:38am (4.2) 10:01pm (4.5)

Mon (new moon)
Low 3:56am (-.6) 4:11pm (-.6)
High 10:25am (4.2) 10:48pm (4.5)

Replies

  • CoydogCoydog Posts: 418 Deckhand
    Ok, definately heading out tomorrow to fish at Sheridan Point at Helen Cooper State Park.

    Can't miss me. I'll be in a silver ford freestyle (station wagon) with a dog romping nearby on rope lead. Probably drown some cut shrimp and work an artificial. I plan on being there around noon to about 230/3pm.
  • PhtevenPhteven Posts: 111 Officer
    How did you do? I tried yesterday before the storm came in. I started out at Micklers at 6:30 am. The surf was rough and the current had a strong pull to the north. I went further south to Vilano Beach where it seemed to be a lot calmer. A guy fishing there said he had 3 or 4 in his cooler and surf wasn't too bad. About 15 minutes of being there it started getting bad. You could see the clouds to the west moving in. I then went to Vilano Pier and struck out there too. while I was there a guy caught the same sting ray twice. Packed up at 11 and headed back before the storm came in. I've only been fishing a few times for whiting and I am ready to hit up some other species. I'm thinking on the 7th trying Nassau sound or Helen Cooper around 9am. No boat here so I will be from shore too.
  • CoydogCoydog Posts: 418 Deckhand
    I casted a few times yesterday and the current was just ripping in the AM. Just said not worth it and headed home.

    Right now heading out to helen cooper. Silver ford freestyle. Gotta hit B&M first for some shirmp.
  • samsiam74samsiam74 Posts: 2,215 Captain
    Might want a couple Sputnik weights too Brian or a few heavy bank sinkers... You'll want that bait to stay on the bottom and stay as still as possible. Sputniks are more expensive but stay put much better with less weight. Clams are good for those Black Drum too.
  • CoydogCoydog Posts: 418 Deckhand
    Yah, gonna pick up some of those sputnik weights next week. Had a few hits but couldn't get the bait out far enough really without trying to heave it and lose it all.
  • samsiam74samsiam74 Posts: 2,215 Captain
    Get a bag of those clams from B&M or any bait shop, some gas stations even carry them in their bait cooler and get some shrimp or use what you have left over. Go to publix or wally world and pick up a box (I think they're two pound boxes) of kosher or canning salt with out iodine. Get a Tupperware dish, some glad ware or an old margarine container (I've even used zip loc bags in a pinch and hotel ice buckets!)and cover the bottom with salt, throw your bait in after patting it dry with a paper towel and throw it in your dish.. Throw some salt on top of the bait to cover it up well (don't skimp on the salt) and leave it in the fridge at least over night. You now have "brined" bait, the bait will stay on your hook much longer, pecker fish can't steal it as easily and you won't lose it when casting... For some reason the fish seem to like it better too and you can just stick your unused bait back in the fridge or freezer for the next time, several times, just add a little more salt if you need to. Make sure you get non iodized salt.
  • CoydogCoydog Posts: 418 Deckhand
    samsiam74 wrote: »
    Get a bag of those clams from B&M or any bait shop, some gas stations even carry them in their bait cooler and get some shrimp or use what you have left over. Go to publix or wally world and pick up a box (I think they're two pound boxes) of kosher or canning salt with out iodine. Get a Tupperware dish, some glad ware or an old margarine container (I've even used zip loc bags in a pinch and hotel ice buckets!)and cover the bottom with salt, throw your bait in after patting it dry with a paper towel and throw it in your dish.. Throw some salt on top of the bait to cover it up well (don't skimp on the salt) and leave it in the fridge at least over night. You now have "brined" bait, the bait will stay on your hook much longer, pecker fish can't steal it as easily and you won't lose it when casting... For some reason the fish seem to like it better too and you can just stick your unused bait back in the fridge or freezer for the next time, several times, just add a little more salt if you need to. Make sure you get non iodized salt.

    Thanks! I already have some kosher salt in fact. Will def. do next time
  • samsiam74samsiam74 Posts: 2,215 Captain
    Coydog wrote: »
    Thanks! I already have some kosher salt in fact. Will def. do next time

    You Yankee's would have Kosher salt.... Lol..... J/K
    :dance
  • CoydogCoydog Posts: 418 Deckhand
    samsiam74 wrote: »
    You Yankee's would have Kosher salt.... Lol..... J/K
    :dance

    hey, I used to run a Casino kitchen, and one of the dry herb rubs we used needed the kosher salt. Really helped give the crust a real crispness to it and the salt content was just amazing.

    Also,

    Shouldn't say I came home empty handed. Seems someone lost/abandoned their dog there. Got the guy home with me. Washed a lot of the marsh out of him, gave him some fresh water (instead of the salt/brackish he was drinking) and some food. Best of all he is wearing out my Aussie. Got them both snoring away right now.
  • samsiam74samsiam74 Posts: 2,215 Captain
    Lol! I was just busting your stones... Nice save on the dog... Is that a min pin?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • CoydogCoydog Posts: 418 Deckhand
    samsiam74 wrote: »
    Lol! I was just busting your stones... Nice save on the dog... Is that a min pin?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    I know man.

    Thanks, guy finally stopped either trying to play with my aussie, playing with the aussie or got out into an area with good lighting and stood still.

    Gonna go see if he was chipped in the AM.

    If I ever find out who abandoned this dog, and learn that they deliberatly chose the park I'm gonna hurt them so bad Amnesty International will petition me to stop. I mean, releasing a dog in FL, going into the hot months near a river with brackish water. I mean, that is a horrible way to kill someone or an animal.

    IMG_0412_zps484aa3ee.jpg
Sign In or Register to comment.