Offshore Newbie

Snook-OneSnook-One Posts: 146 Deckhand
What is the best way to go about learning how to take the kayak offshore? By no means do I have pipe dreams about going out on the first trip and catching sails, however offshore is something I always wanted to try but I obviously would never go out alone. I was hoping to learn about the basics...(live bait or artificial, what gear, etc.) as well as where and when to launch. I have a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 and would like to possibly tag along with a group sometime if possible. I live in Coral Springs, but I know that there are anglers who launch in Dania, Boynton Beach, etc...anyone that goes out on a regular basis that can teach a newbie?
Founder Florida Bass Paddlers
Team Kaku Kayak
RedLine Lures Pro Staff

South River Outfitters Fishing Team

Replies

• 12hunt12hunt Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    Great question I also am a newbie and hope that the vets will help out and give up some info. Seems like a cool and kinda inexpensive way to go after some offshore species. Good luck to you!!
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,318 Moderator
    There is a lot of good information on this forum, read as much as you can and search before you post a topic as it might have been covered already. Once you are experienced in handling your kayak, and maybe have some inshore fishing under your belt, go to one of the popular beach launches (Pompano, Dania, Boynton) and start exploring the first reef line parallel to the beach so you don't get too far offshore before you are ready/comfortable. You can troll small feather lures for mackerel or drop baits for reef fish at this level.

Later on you can invest in a fishfinder/gps combo and try the next deeper reef etc. You have to ease into the offshore thing, you can't just jump in and say I'm going to fish 3 miles offshore without knowing about the territory and the currents. Take your time and be safe. Good luck!
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • SkunkLifeSkunkLife Posts: 545 Officer
    Catching a sail on your first trip is not out of the question and happens all the time here. The learnin curve is quick, best suggestion is to lose all the trial and error and get a tag along guide. Wanna fish down south (dania/pompano) then private message member Pottymouth, he rules and will put you on fish, fishing up north (boca/delray) private message AC_YAK he rules as well and will put you on fish. The first time i ever sat ina kayak I went offshore, I wouldnt sugggest it as i am a mental defect and have an affinity for dumb things. Pottymouth and AC_Yak, they can fish, but they can also teach as i still ask those dudes questions all the time.
    Lowbrow Sportsman - "Socially inept since 1985"
  • Android77Android77 Posts: 483 Deckhand
    It's vertical jigging and a live bait is the big secret. Troll some kind of bait out to where it looks like there's life in the water put out a live bait on a stinger rig and jig till you can't feel your arms anymore and then jig some more. No big secrets those that fish harder and pay attention to what's going on around them catch fish those that show up don't listen to the subtle hints that others give them don't. Get a vertical jigging rod a good quality reel with a lots of drag a variety of jigs and you will be an expert in short order. The more you fish the better you get and don't be cheap on the essentials. It's no different than any other kind of fishing only the way you get there and the rush you get when that first big fish takes you for a ride. Just remember you have to paddle back and watch your drift. A cab ride can be a good way to fish more and paddle less. The less terminal tackle the better. Snap swivels are big turn offs for all fish.
  • uno--masuno--mas Posts: 346 Officer
    to be 'prepared', you can learn so much from this forum and the plethora of information, but to cut your learning curve to nearly zero, hire a guide. you could spend 7 weekends in a row, paddling around and probing and trying to learn something and coming home skunked or with bonitos and spanish or you could hire a quality guide one time, and spend the next several trips using the priceless information you obtained with that guide, honing those skills on quality fish.
    nobody every learned to read by just picking up a book and trying. we all had a teacher. and a guide who knows exactly what to do, and where, will put you touchdowns ahead in the game. there is no 'shame' in hiring someone to teach you the ropes. it's money well spent, and time well invested.

cheers
    drew
    Cathedra Mea, Regulae Meae.
  • Snook-OneSnook-One Posts: 146 Deckhand
    jcanracer wrote: »
    Once you are experienced in handling your kayak, and maybe have some inshore fishing under your belt-

I probably should have mentioned I have been kayak fishing for a very long time, however as much as I have fished inshore and freshwater, I am sure that there is much more to be aware of when paddling in 100-300 feet of water.
    Founder Florida Bass Paddlers
    Team Kaku Kayak
    RedLine Lures Pro Staff

South River Outfitters Fishing Team
  • FLATS BROKEFLATS BROKE Posts: 2,060 Captain
    1. Hire a guide. 2. Just go.