Home General Fishing

Tld 25 vs. Penn 113h2

minowjoeminowjoe Posts: 717 Officer
what reel would be best for trolling for grouper and bottom fishing. Penn 113h2/114 I dont care which size. Shimano tld 25/20.

Replies

• HumpinitHumpinit Posts: 199 Deckhand
    I persoanlly like my TLD's over my friends Penns. I dont have any other reason other than I think the lever is easier for me and the look better in my opinion.
  • will's dadwill's dad Posts: 102 Deckhand
    both are traditional workhorse reels, it boils down to if you prefer lever drag or star drag. I troll exclusively with lever drags, bottom fish with more star drags.
  • superdupersuperduper Posts: 1,927 Captain
    both can be taken apart and cleaned pretty easy.
    id go with the TLD though for trolling, as stated.
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Given the questionable reliability issues w/the new Chinese Penns, I'd go w/the TLD (& I prefer LD Reel for Trolling anyway)
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • WatermanWaterman Posts: 130 Officer
    Look at the new Penn Squall 50 lever drag. Has a larger handle and better retrieve rate. Built a little tougher than the TLD.
  • fish4funfish4fun Posts: 225 Officer
    will's dad wrote: »
    both are traditional workhorse reels, it boils down to if you prefer lever drag or star drag. I troll exclusively with lever drags, bottom fish with more star drags.
    X2 on the whole post...but it's just a personal thing. The TLD handles are ridiculously small though. I've replaced mine with custom ones that are excellent.
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    fish4fun wrote: »
    X2 on the whole post...but it's just a personal thing. The TLD handles are ridiculously small though. I've replaced mine with custom ones that are excellent.

Agree & I don't understand why Shimano hasn't corrected that... I got rid of my TLDs (vs. paying for new handles) partly b/c of that crappy handle
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!