Home General Fishing

Hook color

minowjoeminowjoe Posts: 717 Officer
What is the best color for your hooks. does it matter.

Replies

• Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 AG
    does it not matter.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • minowjoeminowjoe Posts: 717 Officer
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 AG
    It still does not matter.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    I like Owner black nickle hooks.
  • superdupersuperduper Posts: 1,927 Captain
    i like hooks with sharp points mainly.
  • brianbbrianb Posts: 2,403 Captain
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,335 Moderator
    What's on it matters most.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    Call me crazy, but I love a red hook for live white bait. Maybe the hook color caught me?
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
  • BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 5,970 Admiral
    Probably yes.
    Like charming lures and colours. The first one who the lure hooks is the angler :grin.
    Massimo (former Ballak) - Please, be patient for my English
    ********************************************************************************************************************************
    I'm typing keeping close my "pasta hole"!
    Political correctness is a mental disease that can put you in slavery. The only cure is to turn on the brain.
    I'm not afraid of Coravirus but I'm scared by the paranoid pandemic army who ask for the sanitary naz**m.
    Vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
  • Jmt2404Jmt2404 Posts: 188 Officer
    I'm curious about this too.. I've heard red is better since it is the first color to disappear. I think it's around 15ft and below where you can no longer see red, but it only turns grey. So what does a silver, gold or black hook do as it goes deeper?

Why not paint it to camouflage the hook and make it match the bait or lure you are using?
  • BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 5,970 Admiral
    IMO would be a useless cost if we speak of artificial lures treble/single hooks.
    Mainly in SW and mainly fishing on the fish (predators) reaction the hook color doesn't minimally matter (sometime also the lure colour doesn't matter so much, the main point is the correct movement).

Maybe for livebait fishing and other slow techniques could have an impact, but usually the bait hides the hook.
    At least as can I know of our passive fishing techniques (but I think that more or less is a worldwide rule).

BTW I read some articles about the line colours and the red, as you said, is the first one to disappear in water.
    But personally I never noticed differences of catches based to a specific line colour.
    Massimo (former Ballak) - Please, be patient for my English
    ********************************************************************************************************************************
    I'm typing keeping close my "pasta hole"!
    Political correctness is a mental disease that can put you in slavery. The only cure is to turn on the brain.
    I'm not afraid of Coravirus but I'm scared by the paranoid pandemic army who ask for the sanitary naz**m.
    Vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,928 AG
    My hooks get used so much...they have the coatings ( red or black nickle..doesn't matter) worn off...color doesn't matter...sharpness is *EVERYTHING*
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you