Home General Fishing

Lower end spinning reels

I need a few new reels for 99.9% freshwater fishing. They might see salt once a year and only if I need a rod/reel for a buddy or kid. I have setups for saltwater. In the $60 class there's Abu Garcia Orra's, Okuma Epixor, Penn Fierce, and Pflueger President. All 30 or 3000 size reels. I'm not crazy about the cheap shimano's.

What do you guys suggest?

Replies

• waldnerrwaldnerr Posts: 1,030 Officer
    Shimano Sedona or Sahara. Not "cheap" Shimanos - but inexpensive ones. There are some good deals for these reels (new) on eBay.
  • minowjoeminowjoe Posts: 717 Officer
    penn pursuit 2 penns cheapest reel but its not horrible
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    The Pflueger President reels are excellent reels and way better than anything else in its price range in my opinion. I have 4 of them and I use them in salt.
  • Fenrir51Fenrir51 Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    I am going to have to say Penn Pursuit II, I bought one over the weekend and it works great for the 40 dollar price tag. The Pflueger President is a great reel also but the line capacity is lacking for the salt water fishing I do.
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Jim311 wrote: »
    The Pflueger President reels are excellent reels and way better than anything else in its price range in my opinion. I have 4 of them and I use them in salt.

^this^ or Daiwa (Regal)
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,358 Moderator

I have two that I bought about 6 years ago. They have been fished exclusively in salt water. I have never done so much as take the spool off the reel. They are still absolutely flawless. I've never seen anything like it. THe fake metal has flaked off and they look like pure hell, but the internals keep on trucking. Hell, I don't even back the drags off them any more and they still function through the entire curve. I've sung their praises on here before out of sheer dismay. I don't know what size reels they are, as I"ve never really paid attention to such things; I look at line capacity, weight and over all size and then buy it and trash the box. I can tell you this, they are reels that I would spool with 12-15lb mono and 20 braid. I have 20 braid on mine. BOught them and some disposal rods one afternoon when I was considering getting back in to bay fishing. At the time I had no rigs for casting arficials. The rods are long gone, but the reels are still going strong. Not only have wade fished for reds and trout with them (with dunkings), but I"ve caught snappe up to 8# with them, bull reds, sheepshead, dolphin to 6 or 7#, a bazillion hardtails, countless huge redfish, trilion spanish, and a rouge 40 pound cobia that ate a shrimp intended for a sheepshead... landed that fish o a 7' live bait trout rod and 12lb leader with a small circle hook. Took almost an hour in the surf.

Anyway, it's hard to imagine that such a cheep real can hang with the nice ones, but hey.... tha't enty level spinning reels until you want to break the $220 mark or so.

Is it just me, or do the Penn Fierces look EXACTLY like a Pflueger? Same housing, I know that much. For years I said, "I wish I could buy a huge Pfluger President for offshore stuff. If I can get 4 or 5 years of flawless use for a cheap price, that's all I use"... low and behold, out came Penn with what seems to be a giant Pflueger.

The reel mentioned above...

cobiadock2.jpg

cobiafishlucky.jpg

cobiahook.jpg
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • Amelia PaddlerAmelia Paddler Posts: 488 Deckhand

^This, I've not yet reached the level where I can justify a high dollar setup.
    I've worn out a few reels already, but back in Oct. i picked one up.
    For $80 *for the combo* I think it's been great, I've wade fished it in the surf, it's fallen out of my boat & my canoe, hosed it off and it keeps on going.
    If I can get mine to last several years like this I'll be extremely impressed.
    In fact, I think I will torture test it like this just too see how it does.
    Picked up a "spare" a week ago just in case.
    I recommend it to anyone!
  • Beached anglerBeached angler Posts: 196 Officer
    I have two that I bought about 6 years ago. They have been fished exclusively in salt water. I have never done so much as take the spool off the reel. They are still absolutely flawless. I've never seen anything like it. THe fake metal has flaked off and they look like pure hell, but the internals keep on trucking. Hell, I don't even back the drags off them any more and they still function through the entire curve. I've sung their praises on here before out of sheer dismay. I don't know what size reels they are, as I"ve never really paid attention to such things; I look at line capacity, weight and over all size and then buy it and trash the box. I can tell you this, they are reels that I would spool with 12-15lb mono and 20 braid. I have 20 braid on mine. BOught them and some disposal rods one afternoon when I was considering getting back in to bay fishing. At the time I had no rigs for casting arficials. The rods are long gone, but the reels are still going strong. Not only have wade fished for reds and trout with them (with dunkings), but I"ve caught snappe up to 8# with them, bull reds, sheepshead, dolphin to 6 or 7#, a bazillion hardtails, countless huge redfish, trilion spanish, and a rouge 40 pound cobia that ate a shrimp intended for a sheepshead... landed that fish o a 7' live bait trout rod and 12lb leader with a small circle hook. Took almost an hour in the surf.

Anyway, it's hard to imagine that such a cheep real can hang with the nice ones, but hey.... tha't enty level spinning reels until you want to break the $220 mark or so.

Is it just me, or do the Penn Fierces look EXACTLY like a Pflueger? Same housing, I know that much. For years I said, "I wish I could buy a huge Pfluger President for offshore stuff. If I can get 4 or 5 years of flawless use for a cheap price, that's all I use"... low and behold, out came Penn with what seems to be a giant Pflueger.

The reel mentioned above...

cobiadock2.jpg

cobiafishlucky.jpg

cobiahook.jpg

That's what you call a initiation, I might have to take a look at that reel,
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    I should note that mine also had the fake metal coating fall off the handle as well. Looks bad but doesn't affect function and considering these reels are like 60 dollars at Walmart I can't complain. I rarely lube/service them, the have 10 bearings, and they've been dunked numerous times. I was going to buy something higher end but it's hard to justify when these things just won't die.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,929 AG

I liked this reel so much....after wearing one out...I had my wife get me a new one for my birthday. Now I have a parts mule and a spare spool.
    A solid reel for the money.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • fishboyfishboy Posts: 1,326 Officer
    Penn fierce is also a solid reel! Can't go wrong with either...
  • lifegoesonlifegoeson Posts: 338 Deckhand
    ^^^The Penn Fierce is a nice real for the price.