Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Help finding the fish (from shore)

Ok, first off, I am NOT asking for your personal honey holes.

What I am asking is a little jump start on the basic knowledge of stuff for fishing the rivers, creeks and flats. Such things as ideal water conditions, maybe what kind of structure or water properties to look for. Rising or Falling tides etc.

Is there certain parts of Jax that are more productive than others? Right now I am in the Regency just off 9A/295. Lately been heading down to Pablo creek area to try and fish. Good area? Bad area?

Got excellent advice for lures and colors all ready to really start me out so I'm not spending money foolishly on colors that are not really productive.

Replies

• HoodpinHoodpin Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    A mixture of dark and light colors is really all you need. As close to the natural food of your target species. Shrimp, mud minnows, mullet, crab, ect.......watch what other people are doing and learn what to do and not.you see the same guy in the same spot all the time and he probably knows something.
  • rookiemistakerookiemistake Posts: 1,174 Officer
    Just run down to hecksher and try some spots along the road.usually a jighead and some gulp or doa shrimp will get the job done.nassau sound is a cool place also.if i were you take a few baits and fish those only. Lots of guys bring a tackle box full of crap and spend too much time changing baits. Favorite baits are up to the expertise of the user.i will throw the same jighead and use the same bag of plastics all day.
    The ferry slip is an awesome wading spot.
  • CoydogCoydog Posts: 418 Deckhand
    Thanks.

I heard about the Ferry slip area. Also liked as far as basic look at Shad Creek entrance.
  • hossmosshossmoss Posts: 1,302 Officer
    Don't know how you're fixed for transport, but I second the Nassau Sound fishing. I think it beats just about everywhere else for shore based fishing.

Try heading out to the southeast point of Amelia Island (either in the river or around towards the rocks) and throw your top water baits or spinnerbaits, or jig & gulp, or live bait. Bring your cast net. BIG trout hang out there and big reds, drum and biggg flounder. Tarpon at the right time of year. I like to fish the afternoons starting at the top of the outgoing tide, especially when the tide bottoms out an hour after sundown.

Noseeums can be brutal so take some deet repellent.

CHEAP BAIT! Try our NE FL Bait Co-op: http://www.neflbaitco-op.com/

2012 Cape Horn 31T with twin Yamaha F300s

• CoydogCoydog Posts: 418 Deckhand
    hossmoss wrote: »
    Don't know how you're fixed for transport, but I second the Nassau Sound fishing. I think it beats just about everywhere else for shore based fishing.

Try heading out to the southeast point of Amelia Island (either in the river or around towards the rocks) and throw your top water baits or spinnerbaits, or jig & gulp, or live bait. Bring your cast net. BIG trout hang out there and big reds, drum and biggg flounder. Tarpon at the right time of year. I like to fish the afternoons starting at the top of the outgoing tide, especially when the tide bottoms out an hour after sundown.

Noseeums can be brutal so take some deet repellent.

Transportation isn't that bad. Got a Ford Freestyle and even with E10 I get decent MPG compared to my k1500 4x4.

I went to the area yesterday to check it out, and heard the same about that area. And to make sure we are on the same page as the area, is the area your talking about in the southeast area Amelia Island State Park?

And read the rules and kind bummed I can't bring my dog there. Don't mind fishing alone, but kind fun to have the dog around to keep things entertaining even when the fish aren't biting.
  • samsiam74samsiam74 Posts: 2,215 Captain
    Another vote for Huguenot Sound.... If you take some fresh dead shrimp and soak it on the bottom in the channel, you're likely to invite a nice Black Drum home for dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • SpongkingSpongking Posts: 959 Officer
    An easy go-to for land based guppy wranglin is jim king park at sisters creek off hecksher. Grab a rod and backpack and walk the huge dock setup back on the river ( next to kid playground back of parking lot). Before the boat spent 6-7 yrs as a solid option. When im lazy thats the ticket. Reds, trout, flounder, blk drum, blues, pinfish, crabs galore if you feel like bringin a trap. Even a few juvenile goliath off the dkcks if you're lucky. Just make sure you throw em back. As others have mentioned and we a despise the skunk trips while searching for the next honey hole but time is only way to find whats best for your fishing techniques.

Kev
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,722 Captain
    And also Talbot State Park. From the remote northern end to the inlet on the southerly end.
    Personally,I enjoy beach walk and cast.

Kingsley Plantation northeasterly section at the kayak launch.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • WhyWorkWhyWork Posts: 266 Deckhand
    When you are exploring, go at low tide and look for structure, creek mouths, deeper holes, etc. All the areas named above work, but some spots are better at different stages of the tide due to how the currents run around the structure and creek mouths. IF you have the time, you can learn a lot. Also, as said above, look to see where other people are fishing, that will give you a good start.
  • samsiam74samsiam74 Posts: 2,215 Captain
    If you see an Indian dude fishing the sound and he tells you he's using hot dogs for bait, do not listen to him....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • D.R.R.P.D.R.R.P. Posts: 262 Officer
    Ive seen lots of people catch great fish off of the small pier at Dutton island.