Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

SKA

Caught wind that SKA has ceased operations?

Replies

• aboveboredabovebored Posts: 1,283 Officer
    Wow, aren't they currently involved in upcoming tournaments?
  • Knot2WorryKnot2Worry Posts: 155 Deckhand
    Yup, confirmed! Jack Holmes posted a couple hours ago, that all operations have ceased effective immediately on his Facebook page.
    Capt. of "Knot 2 Worry Fishing Team"
    24' CC Hydra-Sport w/ t-150 Yahamas
  • Black PearlBlack Pearl Posts: 1,155 Officer
    Are they really hurting that bad?
    "Great Daye Fishing Team"
    '14 Pathfinder 22 TRS (sold :()
    Yamaha F200
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,507 Admiral
    Dang.....something musta really hit the fan, for that to happen !!
  • ThefourseasThefourseas Posts: 320 Deckhand
    I'm sure the GFKT is right behind it unfortunately.
    I'm sure the GFKT is right behind it unfortunately.

Seriously doubt that.....just sayin'

The SKA piggy backed existing tournaments.....they needed the tournaments, the tournaments didn't and still don't need the SKA...

The GJKT is being run by Fishermen now....I personally think they took a turn for the good last year, and should keep on rockin'.

They've been around a long time, longer than the SKA, and will be fine. I doubt seriously that just because they folded that anybody is gonna stop catching kings.

Steve
  • MOJO><>MOJO><> Posts: 98 Deckhand
    Something must have happened because our economy is turning around. Lots of people are back at work. Contractors and other trades are making money again. If fuel prices would get right, I think you would see a lot of people get back in the game. Of course the draconian fishing regulations are throttling our sport, I expected them to survive if they made it though the past five years, when things were really in the pooper. I enjoyed meeting the folks I did through SKA, like the one and only Sea Snake.
    27' Cape Horn "Mojo"
  • arunramarunram Posts: 1,628 Captain
    Jacksonville Fishing Rodeo just posted a facebook status saying they won't do it without the SKA. No more Rodeo fellas!
    MOJO><> wrote: »
    Something must have happened because our economy is turning around. Lots of people are back at work. Contractors and other trades are making money again. If fuel prices would get right, I think you would see a lot of people get back in the game. Of course the draconian fishing regulations are throttling our sport, I expected them to survive if they made it though the past five years, when things were really in the pooper. I enjoyed meeting the folks I did through SKA, like the one and only Sea Snake.

We need a "like" button.....:grin

Thanks Joe....we'll still be fishin'....see ya on the water !!
  • cuberasnappercuberasnapper Posts: 145 Deckhand
    king fish shoot out is gonna be great
    Mousa's Auto & Marine Interiors
    2421 St. Johns Bluff Rd.
    Jacksonville, FL 32246
    904-463-1462
  • Snatch-UmSnatch-Um Posts: 1,408 Officer
    This is tough news to take...I've been a member since 1995 and have met a ton of great people. Tournaments like the GJKT, Kingbuster, and Ancient City will still go on...they all have strong followings and with the SKA closing, it will be a wake up call to all. Paul's Kingfish Shootout will only getter bigger and better. I know too many kingfish guys from ages 28-68 with MAJOR back issues from all the years of running full throttle 60 miles one way in 6ft seas. People want to enjoy themselves, and tournament fishing on the days YOU WANT is the future. Best of luck to all this upcoming season and thanks to all those at the SKA for many many great memories.
    -Tyler
  • Bam BamBam Bam Posts: 544 Officer
    "I know too many kingfish guys from ages 28-68 with MAJOR back issues from all the years of running full throttle 60 miles one way in 6ft seas."

Tyler, that's because you have a Contender and don't apply apply TightenUp cream to your pink parts before leaving the dock. :grin J/K
    I bring rum for tenderizer and courage.

Yeah it sux. Truth be told, I moved from a 23 bay boat to a 31 and then 34 primarily for the tournament fishing we did. The SKA has done wonders for the marine industry over the years and they have actually done a lot to try and help protect rec. fishing rights. It is and was a thankless job and I give the organization kudos for having to put up with all the whining they did. It is hard work getting companies to part with sponsorship dollars.

I think the competitors out there are going to continue to fish. We just might rethink our schedule and fish the bigger payout events locally and on the road. I've met some great people over the years on the trail and look forward to seeing them again this year. I think tournaments really now need to look at the entry fees to survive without the point system and Nationals as a carrot.
  • osprey11osprey11 Posts: 1,172 Officer
    It was a point counting system, that's it. I looked at it like a parasite to a host. The members where great. The owners where not. Their tournament sucked. Really, what did they do for the sport? Good bye!

• FlatheadfishermanFlatheadfisherman Posts: 803 Officer
    I went to the Jacksonville Rodeo website a few days ago and it was down. Guess this is the reason. Never fished for Kingfish but fished the Rodeo a few times. Too bad, was a fun tournament.
  • FishDancerFishDancer Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    We supported and competed along the SKA trail for 18 seasons (97-14). Sad to see it go and wanted to thank Jack and his crew for setting up a great playing field for us to enjoy. It is truly the end of and era and tournament fishing will not be the same for us.......

Jeff
    FishDancer
    >>)))))">
    http://www.FishDancer.net
  • Black PearlBlack Pearl Posts: 1,155 Officer
    I went to the Jacksonville Rodeo website a few days ago and it was down. Guess this is the reason. Never fished for Kingfish but fished the Rodeo a few times. Too bad, was a fun tournament.

Yeah I heard they shut it down because of the SKA.
    "Great Daye Fishing Team"
    '14 Pathfinder 22 TRS (sold :()
    Yamaha F200
  • WildLinesWildLines Posts: 551 Officer
    times are changing and everything cost more.

not as many guys that want/can take Friday off from work drive 200 mi, put family in hotel all weekend, eat out all weekend, buy 300 galloons of gas, 100 dollar blue runners, fish Sat and Sunday, and then scurry home Sunday night to be at work Monday...and hope they win a Raymarine GPS.

The future of tournament fishing is how Paul is doing it. Pay an entry, have several weeks to fish, and give a real prize.