Johnson Ocean Pro HELP!!!

golflaxfishgolflaxfish Posts: 455 Deckhand
Since buying my seabird almost a year ago, the 2000 Johnson 225 Ocean Pro on the transom has had a few issues, none of which were ever alarming. When started cold, it would take a few minutes but it would always start. Recently, though, I have been having more issues. Today, for the fifth time in the past three weeks, I ran the batteries dry trying to start the engine. Even with a full charge and quick start, the engine does not want to fire up even after being started yesterday. I am getting ready to replace the stator as it looks and seems to be dead, but are there any other things that could be wrong?

Thanks in advance!
1970 23 Seabird

Replies

• FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,351 Moderator
    voltage reg
    fuel pump
    carbs cleaned
    new plugs
    seafoam to remove carbon
    How old is the fuel
    Sounds like you need a good servicing

CMD
    Formerly Catmandew
  • golflaxfishgolflaxfish Posts: 455 Deckhand
    Fuel is brand-friggin-new, ethanol free and I ran a bottle of ring-free through it two weeks ago. plugs are cleaned often and are under a hundred hours old, and fuel goes through the engine perfectly once running, but maybe :shrug. FWIW, I read on another forum that a tell-tail of the stator being bad is that it discharges a yellow gunk after it fries, does this ring a bell to anyone?
    1970 23 Seabird
  • aboveboredabovebored Posts: 1,259 Officer
    See if you can get the spark to jump the gap on your spark plugs by grounding them and cranking motor. Easier to see at night. Do this on each cylinder.
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,217 Admiral
    Faulty lanyard kill switch? Try the simple and cheap stuff first.
    23895.gif
    All of the easy stuff has been checked and re-checked. Unfortunately it is nothing too simple at the moment, so I need to move on to larger things. I originally thought the engine was not starting because of my batteries not being fully charged but after running a full charge down to nothing yesterday trying to start it, I need to re-assess my situation :(.
    1970 23 Seabird
    Take off the air cover and spray some starting fluid in the carbs. If it doesn't fire you probably have a spark problem.
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,067 Officer
    Since buying my seabird almost a year ago, the 2000 Johnson 225 Ocean Pro on the transom has had a few issues, none of which were ever alarming. When started cold, it would take a few minutes but it would always start. Recently, though, I have been having more issues. Today, for the fifth time in the past three weeks, I ran the batteries dry trying to start the engine. Even with a full charge and quick start, the engine does not want to fire up even after being started yesterday. I am getting ready to replace the stator as it looks and seems to be dead, but are there any other things that could be wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Make sure the choke works; If you have spark the kill switch is ok. If you don't have spark, check the ignition switch and disconnect the yellow/black lead. and check for spark again. If you have spark then replace switch.
    abovebored wrote: »
    Take off the air cover and spray some starting fluid in the carbs. If it doesn't fire you probably have a spark problem.

typically when I spray quick start into the air box it starts pretty quickly which leads me to believe that I don't have a spark problem. My plugs were a bit fouled when I checked them today so I ordered another set along with a stator. Hopefully it will make a difference. The simple fact that I am barely getting extra voltage when my engine is running versus when it is not (about .5 volts) makes me nervous.
    1970 23 Seabird
  • eli_lillyeli_lilly Posts: 135 Deckhand
    typically when I spray quick start into the air box it starts pretty quickly

It needs a carb rebuild/cleaning.

-E
    typically when I spray quick start into the air box it starts pretty quickly which leads me to believe that I don't have a spark problem. My plugs were a bit fouled when I checked them today so I ordered another set along with a stator. Hopefully it will make a difference. The simple fact that I am barely getting extra voltage when my engine is running versus when it is not (about .5 volts) makes me nervous.
    Check all your wiring connections, you might need a new rectifier and also get a carb job.
  • fandangofandango Posts: 69 Deckhand
    I had the same problem with my evinrude, it turnout that the electic choke was not sending fuel to the heads for initial start. Take a look at the elec. choke and it should have 2 line coming out of it (one to the left head and the other to the right). Pull the line out and attempt to start the engine, if there is no fuel that means that the rubber gasket in the choke selenoid is clogging the line out. It happen to me while in Ft Desoto and I spent two days with a water bottle full of fuel to squirt the carburators to help in the intial start.
  • Reel TeaseReel Tease Posts: 657 Officer
    Sounds like it isn't getting enough gas to start the engine when it's cold. Could be the choke. Could be your carbs. Running a liquid mix with gasoline can sometimes improve things but sometimes you just need to remove them and completely clean them out and use the kit and reassemble.
  • MadScientistMadScientist Posts: 3,402 Officer
    The low voltage when running makes me think that your water pump is old and the impeller/shaft is making to much friction against the housing. I had a similar thing with mine, difficult to crank, low voltage while running. Rebuilt pump, everything back to normal.

If you drop the lower unit and the shaft is hard to turn by hand, that may be an indication.

If its spark, I'd suspect the power pack and/or optical timing sensor (if that model has one). Google CDI Electronics for the parts pack that has both parts for a good price.