Home General Fishing

Snelling circle hooks

2»

Replies

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,046 Moderator
    tyxpx wrote: »
    You supposed to use them live baiting grouper and stuff from shore also?

Yes
    State Waters of the Gulf of Mexico Required Gear

Circle Hooks(Must be non-stainless steel and not offset)
    Dehooking Device
    Venting Tools - At the November meeting, the FWC Commission eliminated the requirement to have and use venting tools when targeting reef fish in state waters. This change went into effect Jan. 24, 2014.

State Waters of the Atlantic Required Gear

Dehooking Device
    Note: In federal waters of the Atlantic north of 28° latitude, circle hooks are required when using hook and line gear and using natural baits

Notice it doesn't say anything about fishing from shore. it says State Water,, which includes fishing from shore.
  • tyxpxtyxpx Posts: 390 Officer
    What is north of 28 degrees?
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,822 Captain
    What is north of 28 degrees?

This refers to state waters on the Atlantic side and the 28 degree line starts just north of Sebastian and just south of Melbourne.
    If fishing north of that line the rule applies. It was written that way so the south Florida commercial yellow tail snapper hand liners would be able to still use J hooks.
    Free lining a bait fish from a pier during this time of year could hook a grouper or a king fish. What happens when you land a grouper and Leo rolls yp. You gotta throw it back ? Can they take all your gear saying you were using illegal gear just cause a grouper decided to take it instead of a king or tarpon?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH8KfXD2gIs

Found this vid while you tubbing and noticed they werent using circle hooks and were saying they were going to grouper..... Its from a TV show so I woudnt think they would break laws on TV.
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,190 Admiral
    My latest and greatest theory is to snell the dead baits and loop knot the livies with the circle hook.
  • bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH8KfXD2gIs

Found this vid while you tubbing and noticed they werent using circle hooks and were saying they were going to grouper..... Its from a TV show so I woudnt think they would break laws on TV.

Law says circle hooks must be used in the Gulf over reefs. They were fishing inshore under docks in shallow water.
    Someone stated circle hooks were required when I specifically asked about fishing grouper off skyway bridge since it was state waters and grouper is considered a reef fish.
  • bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    Circle hooks must be used with natural baits in state waters of the Gulf of Mexico, not Tampa Bay. http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/reef-fish-gear-rules/
    Isn't tampa bay state waters also and a side of the skyway pier the gulf side?
  • Anclote KeyAnclote Key Posts: 2,354 Officer
    Isn't tampa bay state waters also and a side of the skyway pier the gulf side?

Yes. If you're targeting reef fish you need a circle hook to be legal. Like you said it's possible to be targeting nonreef fish in the same area. Not sure how it would be treated by an fwc officer if you keep a grouper while using a j hook. Probably opening yourself up for a citation. Catch and release is a different story.
    The two best times to fish is when it’s rainin’ and when it ain’t. –Patrick F. McManus
    bonephish wrote: »
    Law says circle hooks must be used in the Gulf over reefs. They were fishing inshore under docks in shallow water.

It says when targeting reef fish. Dosent necessarily mean physically fishing over a reef. Tampa bay is state waters.
    The two best times to fish is when it’s rainin’ and when it ain’t. –Patrick F. McManus
    So its a foggy area. Also foggy if you have a grouper in the cooler that you caught with a circle hook but when leo rolled up you were fishing live bait with a J hook.....

I posted in the ask the law section too but have not got a response. I would like to know because FWC does go to the skyway and check coolers often and I plan to fish it for grouper this season but also target other fish also in the same day.....
    If you have a reef fish in your possession and a j hook on your rod, you're at risk of citation. That's how I understand it. As with many of these situations it will probably come down to officer discretion.
    Unlike regular most regular cops, FWC officers I have had contact with have been really cool, understanding and friendly. Ill have two rods so I guess if I have one with circle hook and one with J hook Ill be good?
    I would think so, but I haven't ran into that particular situation.