How to prevent corosion on the black 12v power outlets

MadMaxIIMadMaxII Posts: 97 Greenhorn
How to prevent corosion on the black 12v power outlets??

Its the best and cheap way to hook up electric reels, down riggers and whatever, but they never last long? How do you fix that or have other solutions?

Thanks
255DC Worldcat - Twin 175HP Suzuki - Garmin 12kw Radar and lots of rods to play with :)

Replies

• Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 7,911 Moderator
    I assume they run to a breaker? If so make sure there's no power going to them while not in use.

Keep them coated with dielectric grease.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • MadMaxIIMadMaxII Posts: 97 Greenhorn
    Even while running at day time or only at night with battery switch?
    What kinda grease is that?
    Can you give a link to amazon product?
    Thanks
    255DC Worldcat - Twin 175HP Suzuki - Garmin 12kw Radar and lots of rods to play with :)
  • FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,342 Moderator
    Is that a cigarette type outlet or a twist lock?
    the cig plugs shouldn't be used for electric reels as their only rated for 10amps max.
    Are you melting them or just corroded?

CMD
    Formerly Catmandew
    Dunno how you call them but they slide in with 2 pins and work fine.
    They don't melt but turn green and corrode in short time.
    After that I switched to clamps to the battery but I don't like that. I want nice plugs haha
    I also use them for my 110v convertor and electric knife and when I think about that one that is in a breaker and does better then the others.
    But that was on my precious boat. I assume all off them are on breakers ... Will have to ask the dealer
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,330 Captain
    Spray both the male and female connectors with Corrosion X after each use. It displaces water, removes corrosion, and leaves a very resistant protective layer.

Use the red can, not the goopy heavy duty Corrosion X.
  • Ketch-upKetch-up Posts: 305 Officer
    The current going to them is what causes the corrosion. If it, they are on a switch or breaker by themselves I would turn it off when mot in use. That will help some.
  • JKPJKP Posts: 2,918 Captain
    Spray both the male and female connectors with Corrosion X after each use. It displaces water, removes corrosion, and leaves a very resistant protective layer.

Use the red can, not the goopy heavy duty Corrosion X.

This. Plus some dielectric grease.
  • DemonDemon Posts: 218 Deckhand
    Dielectric grease on all electrical connections. You can get it at any auto parts or even Wally World. Not just for boats. Use it on cars, trailers, etc. Your electrical connections will last much longer.
    Thanks all
    I ordered some cans and called the dealer to see if they are on separate breakers or switches
    Building and rigging is in progress :)