Home General Fishing

Palm Beach Fishing

atdc94atdc94 Posts: 10 Greenhorn
New guy to the forum here;

Me and a few buddies of mine are coming to Palm Beach, FL during the middle of July. Never have been to that part of Florida to fish before so was just curious to what will be biting. Won't be doing any charters or anything like that, just mostly pier/surf fishing.

We definitely would love to get hooked up with a few sharks of decent size 5'+. Are they going to be there, and if so, what recommendations do you guys (girls) have, whether it is where to go, or what bait has been best for you in the past? Is shark fishing prohibited on the piers?

Thanks,
Tyler

Replies

• JackAttack24JackAttack24 Posts: 113 Officer
    You go to the Juno beach pier you catch a lot of spinner sharks! I was just there 2 weeks ago. The pier says no shark fishing but they just don't you chumming or purposely putting blood in the water! I was using frozen Mullet and catching many spinner sharks. There started hitting as the sun went down. You could also use mackeral or bluefish.
  • atdc94atdc94 Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    You go to the Juno beach pier you catch a lot of spinner sharks! I was just there 2 weeks ago. The pier says no shark fishing but they just don't you chumming or purposely putting blood in the water! I was using frozen Mullet and catching many spinner sharks. There started hitting as the sun went down. You could also use mackeral or bluefish.

How big were they? And not sure what kind of small fish are there, but I usually go to NC/SC and catch spot or pinfish and cut slits in their sides and let them bleed in the water. What kind of rig were you using? Pictures would be great!
    The Sharks were almost full grown! They kept cutting the line. I didn't bring my Steel leaders that day! You can use sabaki rigs drop it straight down and I was catching baby jack crevelle. I using a gotcha silver spoon to catch mackeral and bluefish. A guy that day also hooked up with a big snook but lost it under the pier.
    This is my spinner shark setup
    15’ 250#LP Mono
    5’ 480# 7x7 49 ss cable
    4/0 Longline Snap
    150lb Rosco Snap Swivel
    4/0 Rosco Swivel
    18/0 LP Circle Hook
  • onICEonICE Posts: 988 Officer
    The spinneret not be around too much in July but plenty of snook will be and other kinds of sharks.
  • brianbbrianb Posts: 2,404 Captain
    The spinner shark migration coming to an end about now here. There will be plenty of sharks I'm sure, but just not 100's right offshore. This one was mid-february:
    NICE! I have heard a lot of things about sharks being repelled by steel. Is this true? Also, what are the regulations on keeping sharks? Like which ones can you keep? My buddy has never eaten one and I he definitely wants to. We definitely won't be keeping any big ones at all.
    Also, for shark fishing from the surf, do you guys (girls) kayak your baits out? Sorry for all the questions I am just super stoked.
    I am probably looking into getting another reel also. I have two SG Release reels. This probably won't do for 6'+ sharks right? I have done some research and I was looking at the daiwa 900 and penn 9/0. The only concern I have is it even possible to cast these reels? We will probably do mostly shark fishing from the surf and kayaking the baits out, but I may want to fish from the pier. Are there reels of good caliber that is capable of handling large sharks yet also castable for a decent price? I am not trying to spend a ton here.