Late Elbow Report 3-9

Went about 80 miles out of Tampa to the Elbow planning to stay the night out there. After catching bait and stopping along the way, we arrived around 5pm. Trolled around for about an hour in search of a sun set wahoo or tuna, but we couldn't keep the bonita off our spread. Anchored up in about 160' right before dark. Early in the night we picked up some nice mangos, beeliners, etc. Later we turned on the LED lights, which attracted all kinds of stuff such as squid, flying fish, kingfish, and even the blackfin tuna. Late in the night we were swarmed by a school of HUGE blackfins!(all 20-30 lbs). We managed to hook 4 or 5 on light tackle, but only boated 2:huh. After some more snapper and various species action, we decided to get some sleep from about 3am to 7am. Had to be back early Sunday for family plans, but overall was a great trip with non stop action!

Sorry for no pics, will try to post some later this week:banana

Replies

• sagorysagory Posts: 614 Officer
    Sounds like a ton of fun!!
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 2,691 Captain
    :applause The Elbow or the Middle Grounds...What a choice. Florida has so much to offer.
    Good report! Thanks for sharing.
  • srqmynattsrqmynatt Posts: 257 Officer
    Great work, I have to get out there. What pass do you run out of for the most direct run?
    63170_4203595405528_791122999_n.jpg
  • Baja280Baja280 Posts: 440 Deckhand
    Sounds like you guys did pretty good, I've been waiting to get out there. I believe the elbow is closer to us here in Bradenton/Sarasota, as the middle ground is closer to st. pete/Clearwater area??? that's a long haul, what kind of boat did you guys run out there in?? I have a 200 gal. tank but that 80-90 mile run might be cutting it a little close for my range
    Premium Auto Body and Collision
    Anything from Hot Rods to Bentleys
    Also work with ALL Insurance Carriers
    941-685-3540
  • SwampsquashSwampsquash Posts: 164 Officer
    Baja280 wrote: »
    Sounds like you guys did pretty good, I've been waiting to get out there. I believe the elbow is closer to us here in Bradenton/Sarasota, as the middle ground is closer to st. pete/Clearwater area??? that's a long haul, what kind of boat did you guys run out there in?? I have a 200 gal. tank but that 80-90 mile run might be cutting it a little close for my range

I have some extra fuel tanks and a friend who will also pitch in for gas....lets do it! lol
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 2,936 Moderator
    Sounds like a great trip, nice job on the BFTs, 2 is better than none.

The Elbow is closer than the grounds out of John's Pass, not by much, but closer. The east edge is about 75mi just about due west of JP.