Best shark recipe .. how to prepare it?

RexLanRexLan Posts: 868 Officer
Got some shark (black tip) that was well taken care of ... how to prepare it and not get the ammonia?
Port Charlotte, Florida

Replies

• hossmosshossmoss Posts: 1,260 Officer
    The ammonia (urea) in the flesh comes from improper care, not your cooking method.

If it was correctly handled immediately after catch and then properly cleaned, you should not have the ammonia issue. Does it smell?

CHEAP BAIT! Try our NE FL Bait Co-op: http://www.neflbaitco-op.com/

2012 Cape Horn 31T with twin Yamaha F300s

• FlashFlash Posts: 11,175 AG
    Hoss is correct but what will help is always leave atleast an 1/8th of an inch of meat under the skin still attached to the skin when you fillet them. I was always told sharks pee thru their skin, this seems to help. I have never noticed any ammonia taste. We then like to grill it after a marinade of some sort of salad dressing, leaning towards those with a good tomato taste. Even so much as to dip the finished fish in the dressing when on the plate at the table. Use to be a Kraft's Sundried tomato salad dressing that was quite good but I do not think they make that one anymore.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • RexLanRexLan Posts: 868 Officer
    Thanks ... the fish is perfect and no ammonia taste. Mike actually cuts it and guts it on the boat within minutes of the catch. Only keeps the smaller black tip sharks also.

I grilled some with a thousand island dressing marinade ... could take it or leave it. I may have over cooked it too.

I made up a couple of my marinades for catfish and salmon today and smoked some of it ... quite good. I took it to 135° IT and it was still moist and flaky.

Did a test deep fry of 1" nuggets earlier this morning ... excellent - really good. A simple batter with flour, salt, baking powder and vinegar covered with Panko. That is going to be dinner tonight.
    Port Charlotte, Florida
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,046 Moderator
    A touch of vinegar will neutralize any uric acid in the flesh if present.

That being said 15 to 20 minutes in the fridge with Italian salad dressing and on the (hot) grill cold.
    Lets the outside get some char and flavor without overcooking.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • monoxidemonoxide Posts: 1,094 Officer
    You can soak in butter milk also. I marinate it in Italian dressing and grill it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ted.gif
    ted.gif
  • hossmosshossmoss Posts: 1,260 Officer
    RexLan wrote: »
    Thanks ... the fish is perfect and no ammonia taste. Mike actually cuts it and guts it on the boat within minutes of the catch. Only keeps the smaller black tip sharks also.

I grilled some with a thousand island dressing marinade ... could take it or leave it. I may have over cooked it too.

I made up a couple of my marinades for catfish and salmon today and smoked some of it ... quite good. I took it to 135° IT and it was still moist and flaky.

Did a test deep fry of 1" nuggets earlier this morning ... excellent - really good. A simple batter with flour, salt, baking powder and vinegar covered with Panko. That is going to be dinner tonight.

This is the key, plus immediately icing it, then removing/discarding the belly flaps when filleting or steaking, that's where most of the urea concentrates. My kids used to love it cut in chunks, breaded and fried. I called them "shark bites"... they got a kick out of that.

CHEAP BAIT! Try our NE FL Bait Co-op: http://www.neflbaitco-op.com/

2012 Cape Horn 31T with twin Yamaha F300s

• ontilttttttontiltttttt Posts: 206 Deckhand
    I soaked mine in milk/buttermilk for a few days then take 'em out and pat them dry. I then squeeze some Italian dressing in a bowl, drop in the "shark cubes" and let 'em sit in the fridge for 15 minutes. Shortly afterwards, I season with Creole seasoning and/or "Montreal Steak seasoning", place 5-6 cubes on a skewer and grill! The girlfriend loved it (and is usually picky about her seafood).
    MQ02nnY.gif
  • David C.David C. Posts: 102 Deckhand
    I soak the fillets in milk for at least 6 hours, then roll them around in Italian bread crumbs (or seasoned bread crumbs) and pan fry in olive oil. The smaller blacktips cook up fine. It's not snapper, but it's edible. By the way, you can cook just about any fish or meat this way. I do the same for rabbit and squirrel.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,175 AG
    I like the dipping the fish into the tomato dressing. Something about tomato seems to cut the fishy flavor (blues, spanish, kings) and even shark.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
    We made a few things with it the past two days that turned out PDG and had the nuggets for dinner.
    Made two different brines and smoked the top plate .. pretty good.
    Port Charlotte, Florida
  • WaVeCrAzEdWaVeCrAzEd Posts: 594 Officer
    i soak in mojo marinade and cook with something strong like oak!
  • stussingstussing Posts: 84 Greenhorn
    The urea is not just in the skin, it is in the meat also. Sharks do not have a urinary tract. The urine is expelled through the body as urea and out through the skin to the water. That is why it is important to soak the meat to remove the traces of urea. Proper care with preserving the fish and cleaning are important in order to have a quality food.
  • Grady-ladyGrady-lady Posts: 5,282 Admiral
    Just to add a few tidbits.

In our surf fishing days it was common to catch small blacktips - they are fine eating and no bones. There is something really nasty in the body cavity of sharks. If you get that 'acid', or whatever it is, on your filet knife it can then contaminate the flesh. So mr gl never guts shark, he filets them avoiding the body cavity altogether.

If frying, I do nuggets too. The meat can be dry when fried in larger pieces and is very easy to overcook. Shark is one of the fishes we prefer on the grill. I cook them simply, just brush with a little olive oil and sprinkle one of several different seasonings. I brine first, as I do most all fish (fish destined to be cooked whole, plus king mackerel and tuna are the exceptions).
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

• PolarBeerPolarBeer Posts: 113 Officer
    Is 10 minutes per inch of fish a good rule of thumb for shark?
  • shrek69shrek69 Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    Blackened. The firmness is perfect to prevent it from breaking apart
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    Shark is like swordfish.....If either one of them is overcooked, you can re-sole your tennis shoes with the steaks. I make sure that my steaks are at least 1" thick, as the thicker any meat is, it seems you have more room for error in cooking time. COLD steaks on a HOT grill. My preparation is exactly as others have stated...but I am going to try the tomato based sauces the next time. Shark/swordfish has a strong enough flavor to withstand that.
    .......Rick
  • Holmes BeachHolmes Beach Posts: 969 Officer
    I've never understood eating shark. They urinate through the flesh, not just the skin. I don't believe there is any way to completely remove the urea/ammonia You can soak them, bleed them, skin them, do whatever you want with them. IMO they still taste like crud.
    I've never understood eating shark. They urinate through the flesh, not just the skin. I don't believe there is any way to completely remove the urea/ammonia You can soak them, bleed them, skin them, do whatever you want with them. IMO they still taste like crud.

Apparently you have never eaten any shark. A properly cared for shark at the time of catching is perfect, does not smell and has NO ammonia taste or odor ... all the ammonia and **** hysteria is just that ... hysteria from folks who read something and are then an expert on the subject.

Just think about all those "other" body fluids you are eating in your beef, chicken, pork and of course "good" fish ... hahahaha.
    Sure, toss in a few worms and parasites for good measure and there you have a balanced meal ..... LOL
    Port Charlotte, Florida
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    Oh.....and if you do not overcook your shark the night before, it makes a helluva fish salad the next day, with your favorite pasta, chopped celery, red onion and anything else you like in your pasta/fish salad. You can put it in a wrap with some shredded lettuce and sliced tomato and voila! Good to go.
    .......Rick