Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Replies

• haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,405 Captain
    Kind of sad...
  • Let's Go AmigoLet's Go Amigo Posts: 2,408 Captain
    Kind of sad...

Why is it sad?....they released it with a circle hook in it's mouth unharmed...Just some kids fishing having fun:huh
  • TUGTUG Posts: 824 Officer
    I see zero point in them dragging it up on the beach. fish that big are not designed internally to be out of water.
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    What a monster!

A great video by some young enthusiasts that gave great care and attention to getting that fish back in the water quickly, and it shows by how well the shark swam off.
  • CoydogCoydog Posts: 418 Deckhand
    TUG wrote: »
    I see zero point in them dragging it up on the beach. fish that big are not designed internally to be out of water.

Perhaps, but I am just guessing, to remove the hook safely from the sharks mouth with minimal danger to themselves as well as the shark.

Also, I am starting to wonder about that 'fact' people keep spouting off about internals and weight. I mean, we have seen killer whales slide up onto beaches and take seals. GWS attacks have been reported in as little as 3' of water. Also, you do realize that sharks can go rather deep, one GWS had reports of being down 4,000ft below the sea. To put it into perspective, that is 1734.06 of pressure exerted on the animal at that depth. Now, combine that with 14.7lbs psi at sea level. I am just wondering if it really is or are people just assuming stuff because it 'sounds' plausible.
  • TUGTUG Posts: 824 Officer
    one would assume that at 4000 feet down, pressure is equal on all sides no?

certainly not the case when laying on a beach....but your point might be a valid one.

I guess im in the camp of "im designed to not survive at 1000' below the ocean, i doubt a fish is designed to survive lying on the beach"
  • ChuckDChuckD Posts: 1,474 Officer
    You both have good points. The truth is probably likely somewhere in the middle.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RichardrbloomRichardrbloom Mayport, FLPosts: 69 Greenhorn
    Absolute beast. Hope I hook into a monster like that in the surf one night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Captain Richard Bloom Jr
    NortheastFloridaFishingCharters.com
  • reedreed Posts: 322 Officer
    Researchers drag them out of the water onto flat surfaces and sometimes lifted in slings onto research vessels to check, draw blood, drill through a fin and tag them. They are then released unharmed. Same goes for whales and dolphins at Sea World. As long as they dont mistreat or harm the animal I think it will survive just fine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    They were swift with the pics and even had the shark facing the incoming surf for oxygen. He was not gut hooked and swam off tired. If this shark was caught in Japan, they would have released him with three fins missing. Just saying.
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,507 Admiral
    I saw a hammerhead roll himself up onto a beach one night....rolled like a tumbleweed, all the way to the dunes. Then he looked around to make sure those crazy people on the 4 wheelers weren't around....then started digging up a turtle nest with each side of his "hammerhead"...up until then I never knew what those things were for, but now I know they are used for digging up turtles nests !!

Once he ate his fill of turtle eggs....he rolled back down into the surf, and swam away fine...this whole process took a good half hour.

I would've never believed it had I not witnessed it myself. This was years ago, but I'm sure they still do it all the time.

And If anybody asks...it was somebody else that smoked that funny looking tabakky, and drank all them beers....it couldn't have been me :willynilly :cool:
  • kajokajo Posts: 4,620 Moderator
    lol
    julington creek carpet care

www.jccarpetcare.com
  • ChuckDChuckD Posts: 1,474 Officer
    Steve's in the brown water early again. :banana
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • samsiam74samsiam74 Posts: 2,215 Captain
    LOL!! Nice Steve.....

I guess we should all give up fishing because there is a chance that they won't swim away when released? Really???

Kudos to the young bucks in the video for doing the best they could to make the catch of a life time and get it back in the water as quickly as they could... I've shark fished from shore in the same manner since I was a kid and the only shark that I'm aware of that died was eaten intentionally. At least he wasn't hung by his lower jaw at arms length for the photo op!:beer
  • Whipper SnapperWhipper Snapper Posts: 576 Officer
    samsiam74 wrote: »
    LOL!! Nice Steve.....

I guess we should all give up fishing because there is a chance that they won't swim away when released? Really???

Kudos to the young bucks in the video for doing the best they could to make the catch of a life time and get it back in the water as quickly as they could... I've shark fished from shore in the same manner since I was a kid and the only shark that I'm aware of that died was eaten intentionally. At least he wasn't hung by his lower jaw at arms length for the photo op!:beer

Very nice response!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Slug-OSlug-O Posts: 3,017 Captain
    Impressive. Catch and release.. I approve...
    USCG Licensed and Insured Charter Capt. PRIME TIME CHARTERS 904-591-8906 ICW and Back Waters fishing. Palmvalleycharters.com
  • Anonymous3Anonymous3 Posts: 5,987 Officer
    I am proud and ashamed at the same time; proud for the catch the fellas made........