Must haves

I just purchased a kayak to fish in
Besides the obvious(pfd, paddle, water)
What do you consider an essential when on the water.
boatless for now

Replies

• jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,320 Moderator
    - Fishing license, in case FWC harasses you (don't argue, just buy it and keep it in a zip-lock bag in the kayak tackle box)
    - If launching in the dark/predawn a Light is not only a good idea, its required by law.
    - The recent thread on first aid kits should remind you to make one for yourself.
    - Paddle Leash, and rod leashes. Remember, when (not if) you roll your kayak, if its not tied to you or the boat, its as good as gone.
    - If you're inshore, a landing net is useful. If you're offshore, a gaff is more suitable.
    - A pair of pliers is essential (dehooking, rigging lines/leaders)
    - a knife is useful too

I'm sure others will chime in.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • razorreilly09razorreilly09 Posts: 8,401 Officer
    Waterproofing for electronics, fak, extra clothes, food, etc
  • Nickipod98Nickipod98 Posts: 277 Officer
    jcanracer wrote: »
    - Fishing license, in case FWC harasses you (don't argue, just buy it and keep it in a zip-lock bag in the kayak tackle box)
    - If launching in the dark/predawn a Light is not only a good idea, its required by law.
    - The recent thread on first aid kits should remind you to make one for yourself.
    - Paddle Leash, and rod leashes. Remember, when (not if) you roll your kayak, if its not tied to you or the boat, its as good as gone.
    - If you're inshore, a landing net is useful. If you're offshore, a gaff is more suitable.
    - A pair of pliers is essential (dehooking, rigging lines/leaders)
    - a knife is useful too

I'm sure others will chime in.
    I won't need a license till later this year but thanks I am definitely t going to get a paddle leash and some rod leashes
    boatless for now
  • Android77Android77 Posts: 483 Deckhand
    And as always you only need one more rod and reel combo even after you get the next one.
  • uno--masuno--mas Posts: 346 Officer
    Snips--for cutting braid or mono there is nothing quicker or smoother.
    Fish Grips--every fish, every time. and they float.
    pliers--removes hooks from the fish, and you.
    knife--i like the smallest Rapala fillet knife. never really rusts so it can be tossed in with your gear and nearly 'forgotten about'.

for inshore, i insist on shoes. not flops or crocs. don't have to wear them all day, but if you have to get out of the boat you don't want cut-up feet.

for offshore, i strongly recommend a VHF radio. in the over-turn scenario, your phone may be lost.

for night, you are required to have at least a flashlight to signal (USCG Rule 25 (d)), but most guys have headlamps. works well, and is 'legal'.

cheers
    drew
    Cathedra Mea, Regulae Meae.
  • Lt.FireDogLt.FireDog Posts: 1,112 Officer
    YakAttack VISICarbon Pro LED light/flag combo, Boomerang Snips, YakAttack 8' Park-n-Pole (stakeout/push pole), quality aluminum pliers, 8-10' wading line (inshore) and decent waterproof camera.........to start. ;-)
  • SkunkLifeSkunkLife Posts: 545 Officer
    45 cal.
    Machete.
    Crucial beard.
    Spare tire pot belly.
    Lowbrow Sportsman - "Socially inept since 1985"
  • timmcollinstimmcollins Posts: 836 Officer
    Buddies.
    Try not to fish alone. You never know when " I can't believe that just happened" moment could pop up. Also set a float plan, let someone know where you are fishing and what time you will be back approximately.
    There are a couple Kayak Fishing Clubs (S. Fla Kayak Fishing Club, Kayak Fishing Club of the Palm Beaches, etc) that you can join that have meetups you can join in and fish with a few new buddies!
    Also post here if you plan on going out, you may have a few tag alongs.

CAMERA! It' makes your fish story credible. Because fishermen NEVER exaggerate i.e the one that got away!

Welcome to the sickness, and congratulations to your new hobby that will ultimately shift your priorities in the wrong order :cool:
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, Cheeseburger in the other, body well used and worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"
  • Nickipod98Nickipod98 Posts: 277 Officer
    Thanks everyone I'm already hooked
    boatless for now
  • summer dazesummer daze Posts: 883 Officer
    Welcome to the sickness, and congratulations to your new hobby that will ultimately shift your priorities in the wrong order :cool:

I don't understand :huh Fishing is my TOP priority and I do it every chance I can... :fishing See u on the water soon Tim..
    jgocnk.jpg
    Tight Lines..