3-23 = nada (sort of)

I really wanted to get out on Saturday but Sunday's weather sold us. So I get the crew up at 4:30 a.m. and start the trek to the ramp. We cross the bay in slick conditions and make our way out to the edge. I quickly put out the spread and just knew I was going to get a hit early on. Well early on turned into for ever. lol We trolled all the way out to 2000 feet and nothing, not even a hit. I found some action in the 600 foot range with birds busting the surface as well as seeing some tuna in that area but that was it. So the kids wanted to catch some snapper and I pulled up the lines and made a run to a few spots. Current seems great for the slick conditions so I tried to yellowtail. Nothing! lol I finally made a run to a mangrove spot and caught 13 of them for dinner. They all had some nice shoulders on them as well which was nice. All in all and great day on the water but man was I looking for that BIG phin. Maybe next time.

Replies

• Knot EnoughKnot Enough Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    I had similar luck. Lauched out of Bayfront and found 3 different weed lines, a 2x4, football, piece of bamboo, and flying fish everywhere. Not a single knock. At least the seas were calm most of the day and I got to spend time with my visiting cousin. There's always next weekend...
  • Jesse8410Jesse8410 Posts: 232 Deckhand
    I went out of PE on Sunday, not even a bite.
  • HumpinitHumpinit Posts: 199 Deckhand
    More of the same here. Left Homestead at 5:30, got bait, ran offshore, found weeds in 1200'. trolled for a long time and nothing. Went to everyones favorite spot and chummed up some yellow tails until........ my fishing buddy decided to drop a whole bucket of chum slurry with a whole block of frozen chum in it, in the water. Needless to say the fish followed the chum. Caught a few keepers, a flag, and some mangos.
  • Perez3611Perez3611 Posts: 88 Deckhand
    Same thing for me, out of Haulover and I only got a decent Spanish Mack and a Couple of good size Yellow tails.

A fishing charter captain at the marina got 3 nice size Dolphins at least a couple of huge Jacks, and a Sail Fish.
  • followotherboatsfollowotherboats Posts: 445 Officer
    Humpinit wrote: »
    More of the same here. Left Homestead at 5:30, got bait, ran offshore, found weeds in 1200'. trolled for a long time and nothing. Went to everyones favorite spot and chummed up some yellow tails until........ my fishing buddy decided to drop a whole bucket of chum slurry with a whole block of frozen chum in it, in the water. Needless to say the fish followed the chum. Caught a few keepers, a flag, and some mangos.

Last year, we watched our chum bag float away because I didn't cleat it off. lol The rest of the day, my wife was scoopinig chum with a piece of the box it came in. lol. Needless to say, I didn't get any that night.
  • HumpinitHumpinit Posts: 199 Deckhand
    LOL. Funny thing is. I made him swim after it. He finally got down to his skivvies and jumped but the block was about 100' feet back and about 30' down. We were in about 80'. Friggin hilarious. he didn't have any fins or mask so I let him slide.
  • y0rascaly0rascal Posts: 36 Deckhand
    s