Skeeter sx200/zx20 bay real world draft?

Skeeter MagnetSkeeter Magnet Posts: 8 Greenhorn
Hey everybody here's another "perfect boat" thread. I'm eyeing a used 2012 skeeter zx20 bay which as I understand it is essentially the currently running sx200 before the rebadge. The advertised draft on these boats is 10" and from eyeing the design of the hull this depth looks like it might be at least close to possible but I wanted to get some real world opinions from people who have actually rode in them. Just for the sake of argument I have been looking at the 186 and 210 key west bay reefs which apparently all have a 12" advertised draft no matter the model and while I know for sure the KW will ride better in choppy water I've heard the 12" draft number to be unrealistic. To give you an idea of my usage the boat will likely be used in the gulf bays between steinhatchee and cedar key about 40% of the time and the rest of the time will be in the northern St. Johns river/mayport area.

So, thoughts?

Replies

• Itch-2-FishItch-2-Fish Vero Beach, FLPosts: 401 Deckhand
    It's not a direct comparison, but if it helps, I have a Triton 19' 190 LTS bay boat and mine drafts at or slightly less than 10". With the motor skeg down, I need about 1.5' to run. For what it's worth, I would think the 20' skeeter would draft at about 10". Good luck.
    German Shepherd Dogs rule! Adopt one today.
  • threemanxthreemanx Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    I had a BR216 similar to the 210 but had a 225. 12" was unloaded at least. Probably more like 16" loaded to fish and full. My 2200te pathy is probably 10" loaded maybe. Maybe.

The others I would say are going to be 12" at least. On plane I can run in 12 to 16" or so but in 12" not for long and not to safe of I hit something
  • Pioneer180Pioneer180 Posts: 124 Officer
    I have to guess that many of these draft specs are with empty boats, no fuel and maybe an outboard. Do they ever tell exactly how the measure them? For example my Pioneer 180SF spec is 11" draft. I measured the actual draft last week at the sandbar with real life load of 1/2 fuel tank, my wife and two kids (11 & 8) on board, the T-top I added, trolling motor and three extra batteries (4 total) and two coolers with ice and full live well. How much? About 17" true draft for bottom of hull. Outboard fully down would be much more (no jack plate). With me (300lbs!) and full tank as I usually run then I bet it may hit 20". So I set my depth alarm at 3' to be safe ;-) So I guess my message is to take the specs with grain of salt. Probably the true flats boats (technical skiffs?) specs may be more accurate but nothing beats real life measurements.
  • FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,342 Moderator
    figure draft to be empty boat, engine trimmed up with no towers, PP, or trolling motors. draft is directly affected by weigh.
    Because people ask and they also compare, No company wants to say what the boats gonna draft fully loaded down.
    Besides there's no definitive set of values for the term Tournament Loaded. If you frequent area's requiring shallow draft, then I would seriously get a wet test of any potential hull.
    I also get a kick out of some of these draft #'s, considering most engines over 150hp spin a 15+ inch diameter prop.

CMD
    Formerly Catmandew
  • Skeeter1Skeeter1 Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    I have a 2014 24' Skeeter and I can easily draft in 10". I also have a 300 Yamaha, PP and T-top. Actually, I often scare my wife because I go in such shallow water.
    As far as the ride, I fish the bay waters of Hudson, Anclote, Bokeelia and Boca Grand. It is the smoothest ride I've ever been on. I have friends that own Key West, Sea Hunt, Guase Built and all are jealous of the ride the Skeeter gives you. You absolutely CANNOT go wrong with the Skeeter. I did a ton of research before getting out of my Century and into my Skeeter. I'm very happy that I bought the Skeeter.

Hope this helped.
  • OverheadOverhead Posts: 300 Officer
    Do all Skeeters come with the plastic lined compartments?
    The only argument I have heard was about reducing weight, decrease draft.
    I just haven't been impressed with the overall finish of the boat. Looks cheap, and seems would be a pain to clean.
    I ask with an open mind, I am in the market for a new bay boat.
    Overhead wrote: »
    Do all Skeeters come with the plastic lined compartments?
    The only argument I have heard was about reducing weight, decrease draft.
    I just haven't been impressed with the overall finish of the boat. Looks cheap, and seems would be a pain to clean.
    I ask with an open mind, I am in the market for a new bay boat.

I'm not sure if all come with the plastic compartments. I love the plastic in mine. Very roomy for storage, lightweight and very easy to clean.

As far as the looking cheap, I'm not sure what part looks cheap. It's all high quality designed and materials. I looked at Pathfinder, Scout, Shearwater, Triton, Ranger Maverick etc and was blown away most with theSkeeter.

Hope this helped.
  • JoeMercurioJoeMercurio Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    Skeeter's draft is measured with max HP engine installed, & full fuel.

The "plastic" compartments you refer to are roto-molded and are purposely used to reduce weight, eliminate chipping & cracking when heavy items are dropped &/or slide around, think boga grip, anchor, etc. The cost is greater than using fiberglass. Same material Yeti coolers are made from & same principle, lightweight, indestructible, insulated.

Hope this helps.
    Another thing you will want to consider is the service after the purchase. Skeeter is owned by Yamaha. I bought mine a year ago at the Lauderdale boat show and have only had a few minor, and one major warranty issues. ALL were warrantied without one word being spoken by Skeeter. Skeeter has been absolutely AWESOME to deal with.
    One last thing, I don't believe those Key West boats would have a smoother ride in that bay chop over the ride in the 20' Skeeter Bay Boat. I think you would be pleasently surprised with the dry, smooth ride of the Skeeter. Only way to find out is to go for rides in both.