NBB - not picture perfect, but not bad!

jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,318 Moderator
I somehow managed to convince USNavy_angler to take me fishing with him so I could try my hand at the trout since I knew offshore would be a blowout today. We get to -undisclosed location- at 6am and launch into the dark with a drizzle blessing our way. Except that blessing turns into a curse as we get drenched in sporadic downpours over the next 3 hours. Thank you for the spare poncho Sam!

While I'm getting my bearings and fiddling with popping cork, I hear Sam say he's on the fish already. By the time I adjust my tackle, Sam's got one trout in the bag and the wind is blowing us off the spot. Top water lures and weighted jig heads with gulp were the main ticket today; I might as well have left the cork at home.

As the wind blew us from one side of the bay to the other I managed a 15-incher, trolling a topwater. We got into some fairly skinny water, but found nothing but cudas. We paddled back to the original spot and contended for fishing ground rights with two motorboats.

My last cast of the day I was about to wrap it up and I left the lure to drift for a second, then I see something inhale it: a nice 18-incher!

At least I didnt get skunked today! Of course as luck would have it by the time I am back at my car, I call Sam and he says the big trout started to turn up, so I left him there to do his thing
:fishing

Turned out to be a nice day afterall!
Hobie Kayak angler for life!

Replies

• Nickipod98Nickipod98 Posts: 277 Officer
    Nice! I'm going to be heading out there tomorrow hopefully everything will work out
    boatless for now
  • TemensisyakfishingTemensisyakfishing Posts: 71 Deckhand
    Sam told me how things went! I really regret not going lol I am glad you guys were able to get into some fish today!
    Follow me and the Dirty Badger Team on IG: @rob_valderrey / @team_dirty_badger / @bassthumbsam_usn / @wilderness_dave .
    US Navy Veteran 2010-2014 / Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler /
    Thanks for reading

Rob Valderrey
  • inshore daveinshore dave Posts: 549 Officer
    Nice job. Gotta get out there.
    2014 Hobie PA14-Dune
  • Hobie AnglerHobie Angler Posts: 323 Deckhand
    Jcanracer, I believe any day on the water is a good day....even if it is not picture perfect.
    Thank you for sharing the experience.
  • sammy2189sammy2189 Posts: 998 Officer
    That's a nice trout . I was on them pretty good the last 2 day
    Hobie outback
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,318 Moderator
    Thanks guys, but USNavy_angler took home the better fish, I'm hoping he posts a pic!
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    That is one sweet curado!

Do you give up any distance inshore over a smaller reel, say a 201?
    cuda-title2_zpsb81e4f1d.jpg
    greggl wrote: »
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
    Think you're pretty clever? Think again. Time for a break.
    :rotflmao
  • jriverajrivera Posts: 171 Deckhand
    Nice atleast the fish gods rewarded you with a nice trout !! Do you guys set up anchor on windy days to stay on one spot or was it too shallow ?
    You can't anchor on the sea grass. Maybe on the channels but then again it a channel so I don't think you can either. I had pretty good success with out anchoring . What I notice is I need to buy glasses so I can sight fish of my kayak. I was fishing blind. And I actually stand up on my yak first time out and it felt pretty stable . I'm sure I'll be in the drink soon tho lol.
    Hobie outback
  • jriverajrivera Posts: 171 Deckhand
    lol watch that step man !!!
  • kayakfrankkayakfrank Posts: 791 Officer
    Great report. The best fish to catch, is the one who is willing to wear a hook in it's lip, as if it was some sort of a body piercing. I have been fishing ALL DAY LONG, with nothing caught...no matter what lures or techniques I employ. Then along comes a "whatever" fish, size or species non-important, and that makes my day. You caught a respectable fish, by anyone's standards.

Tight Lines. :thumbsup
    Fish Hard...Or Don't Fish At All.
    That is one sweet curado!
    Do you give up any distance inshore over a smaller reel, say a 201?
    Thanks man! the Curado is so **** smooth I think I only lost a couple feet of casting distance versus my Citica201.
    jrivera wrote: »
    Nice atleast the fish gods rewarded you with a nice trout !! Do you guys set up anchor on windy days to stay on one spot or was it too shallow ?
    Thanks!
    Sam and I both tried anchoring, but the current and wind just made us drag the anchors. I didn't want to destroy any sea grass beds dragging that useless thing, so I pulled it up and put it away.
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    jcanracer wrote: »
    Thanks!
    Sam and I both tried anchoring, but the current and wind just made us drag the anchors. I didn't want to destroy any sea grass beds dragging that useless thing, so I pulled it up and put it away.

Grass flats are made to stake off in.
    cuda-title2_zpsb81e4f1d.jpg
    greggl wrote: »
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
    Think you're pretty clever? Think again. Time for a break.
    :rotflmao
    ^ true, but I don't have a stake out pole yet.
  • bugdocbugdoc Posts: 421 Officer
    I guess you weren't in my spot Sat., as I was the only kayaker off Morningside park. I waited til the rains passed and had a rainless time fishing from 8AM on. No takers early, but about 10:30 I found the spot while trolling and got 11 trout with 3 keepers (16-18") over the next 2 hours. The little ones were feisty, including one leaping like a ladyfish to get off. They were partial to Gulp! shrimp on the bottom. Another group fishing the west side of Key Biscayne also had 3-4 keepers each. I find the NBB trout are usually in 4-6 feet of water, which is a bit deep for stakeout poles, so I just toss a driftsock and drift.
    bugdoc

Southeast Florida kayak launch sites at http://www.floridakayaksites.info
    Hey Doc, no I wasn't there last weekend, but I will probably be there this weekend whichever day is too rough for offshore. I love Morningside, it's just so convenient!
    Any of you guys going out on Friday?
    Hobie outback