Home Fly Fishing

new to flyfishing - 9wt fly rod - recommendations

STMUSTMU Posts: 20 Deckhand
I am very new to salt water fly fishing. I have borrowed a friends fly rod a few times and am really starting to enjoy it. I am looking for a good all around inshore rod, and am thinking about a 9wt. I am curious if anyone out there has any recommendations for a good fly rod. With my skill set, I am looking for something basic and inexpensive under 150. Any recommendations?

Replies

• lifegoesonlifegoeson Posts: 338 Deckhand
    Sierra trading post has the Redington pursuit outfit for $125 and they are also having a 30% off orders over $75 so for around $105, you can get a good starter rod, it comes with a nice carrying case, reel spooled with everything needed. The only thing you need is a fly, I just went through this and was very happy with my purchase. Just haven't been able to get some fish on it.

Also the rod has a lifetime warranty.
  • remo_5_0remo_5_0 Posts: 308 Deckhand
    Cabelas TLr saltwater on sale now for $119 usually $160
  • remo_5_0remo_5_0 Posts: 308 Deckhand
    The TLr is a nice blue with dark blue wraps, 4 Pc. With sock and case, I also grabbed and RLs+ reel that was on sale also.
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,660 Captain
    Above brands mention are good. Redington has a great warranty if you get one with lifetime. My choice however for reds and trout is an 8wt. Just a little lighter and more fun with smaller fish but can still land a 20+lb fish fairly easy.
  • STMUSTMU Posts: 20 Deckhand
    Thank you for all the help. I also debated about an 8wt versus 9wt. I fish a lot of docks and mangroves and thought the 9wt would give me just a little extra backbone to help pull out larger fish. I agree that the 8wt would be more sporting with trout and reds, but wanted an overall rod to handle snook, reds, trout, makerel and the small tarpon up the rivers. I thought the 9wt might be a better all around rod, but I would lose some of the fun when catching smaller fish. Maybe thats incentive to only catch big ones!!!
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,660 Captain
    Nine sounds good for that first rod. Then drop to a 7wt for the second one.:grin 11wt for the 3rd? 4th and 5th who knows.

Hope to see you in the fly tying section soon also.
  • Guitarshredder1Guitarshredder1 Posts: 354 Officer
    Above brands mention are good. Redington has a great warranty if you get one with lifetime. My choice however for reds and trout is an 8wt. Just a little lighter and more fun with smaller fish but can still land a 20+lb fish fairly easy.
    Read more: http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?148668-new-to-flyfishing-9wt-fly-rod-recommendations#ixzz2x13m5LRq

My first rod was an 8, and I am building a 10 weight for my next trip to the keys. The 8 performed very well, but I also used a nine and it was much easier for me to cast into the wind. I bought a WWS Gold Cup outfit, and am going to build the ten weight using a TFO TiCr-X. STMU, be sure to keep us posted!
    www.afrcustomtackle.zxq.net
    Custom Rods, Lures, and Flies

[email protected]
    407-913-4803 (Leave a message or text)