Home Photography Corner

Routine non-spectacular but nice scene Ocala National Forest March sand hill

FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 4,265 Captain
Nothing spectacular on the photographer skill end, basic Canon SX170IS and only the very most basic utilization of the camera's abilities.......

Notable in this mid March scene is last vestige of winter ground cover condition,certain sunlight, landscape reflective of National Forest land management.
Certain sense of 'place'
Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink

Replies

• ChuckcChuckc Posts: 4,397 Captain
    Turkey hunt or just getting away from folks?

Lots of isolation available down there for sure which is nice. Made the loop down to Salt Springs, Silver Glen, across to Silver Springs and back to Jax via Gainesville so we could stop by Trader Joes a few weeks ago. There was a guy free diving Silver Glen and the local yokel who takes the money was not liking it at all. Free diver dude was not having any of his guff either. Not sure how it played out but both parties seemed particularly dedicated to their positions.
  • Grady-ladyGrady-lady east of the river, west of the woodsPosts: 5,282 Admiral
    FloridaOD wrote: »
    Notable in this mid March scene is last vestige of winter ground cover condition,certain sunlight, landscape reflective of National Forest land management.
    Certain sense of 'place'

That looks like one of the longleaf islands in the north of the Forest, Salt Springs island or Norwalk maybe. The old timers used to describe them as ' an island of piney woods in the midst of a sand pine sea'. There used to be magnificent timber on the pine islands. Sadly, poor burning practices from a few years ago have stunted or killed many of the younger growth plantations.
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

• Grady-ladyGrady-lady east of the river, west of the woodsPosts: 5,282 Admiral
    Chuckc wrote: »
    ...Made the loop down to Salt Springs, Silver Glen, across to Silver Springs and back to Jax via Gainesville so we could stop by Trader Joes a few weeks ago. There was a guy free diving Silver Glen and the local yokel who takes the money was not liking it at all. Free diver dude was not having any of his guff either. Not sure how it played out but both parties seemed particularly dedicated to their positions.

Silver Glen, like Salt Springs run are public waterways. Both of the headwaters are blocked from boat traffic, and in the case of Salt Springs, even snorkelers who arrive by boat must pay a fee to swim in the springs. Actually, I'm ok with that because there are taxpayer funded improvements, ie restrooms, campground, etc.

There's a long standing feud among those who want to restrict water access (as they already have to the land), and those who believe the water belongs to us all. These places are often 'staffed' by volunteers, who unfortunately, sometimes begin to take 'ownership' of a public resource.
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

• FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 4,265 Captain
    Photos are scenes along Forest Route 11. In fact, I was returning to Jacksonville from a conservation organization meeting at the Silver Springs Museum and took unpaved Forest Route 11 North to the Oclawaha drop and headed east on another Forest Route to 19. All from memory-it's been years since I have traveled those Forest Roads. Osceola National Forest and a private lease now command attention.
    I noticed similar open views along 19- perhaps the fifteen + years that have passed has allowed for creation of open canopy. These areas just beg for hiking,and I might even hunt there again.
    I also gave a visit to the Rodman dam,which was certainly slated for removal way back when I first explored the area...the signs a metaphor for Enviro Politics that have swirled around Ocklawaha Restoration.......
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink