NBB Pre Spawn Trout

Went out this past Sunday to hit the hot trout action in NBB. There was a slight cool front and that is always good news for the bigger trout. Took my buddy Johnny out to get into the action. Day started out with a bad omen as I forgot my cooler and the local bait shop had no ice:mad. Finally launched and headed out to the spot. Did not take long for the rod bending to begin. Johnny started the fun with a nice 16" and the next 2 hours was non stop catching. Most of the fish were slot sized fish with the biggest at 21.5" and only a few under slot. All fish were caught on artificial which was complete 180 from the last time I went out as most were caught on live shrimp. We were using Live Target Scaled Sardine and Tsunami swim baits. We limited out fairly quickly. Although we did not hook up with any gators all the keepers were quality fish with too many to count that were let go. The trout seem very hungry and will go after anything that looks like a pilchard. The next few weeks should be great if you are looking a big gator. My NBB best is 7lbs and I think ill better that this year as I learn the water better. All in all a great day with good fishing a good friend and fantastic weather. The night ended with Trout Amandine and my yearning to get on bigger fish.

Replies

• bitshortbitshort Posts: 243 Deckhand
    Nice job, beauty trout good eats
  • closcabcloscab Posts: 122 Officer
    Thanks, A few of my neighbors that just fish offshore think they have worms, but I have not had any problems with any Trout out of NBB.
  • HumpinitHumpinit Posts: 199 Deckhand
    I am so tired of my friends saying that trout have worms. LOL. I have never seen any worms in any of my trout. I catch them in Cardsound area and Flamingo and never seen a worm. Actually for me the only worms I have ever seen were in big AJ's.
    Nice catch and report!
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    Humpinit wrote: »
    I am so tired of my friends saying that trout have worms. LOL. I have never seen any worms in any of my trout. I catch them in Cardsound area and Flamingo and never seen a worm. Actually for me the only worms I have ever seen were in big AJ's.
    Nice catch and report!

I had a trout from Flamingo with worms, it happens. However, I've eaten far more trout without worms than those that did. I do agree that they're much more prevalent in AJ's, the Almacos can have them pretty bad as well. The bigger they are = the more worms they have. I prefer to keep the smaller, tastier ones anyway.

Where did you launch, 79th street?
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
  • USNavy_AnglerUSNavy_Angler Posts: 473 Officer
    Are these worms?

IMG_7621.jpeg

If so, what's the harm in consuming said fish?
    Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
    TEAM DIRTY BADGER :fishing
    Heroes On The Water
    South Florida Chapter Secretary
    [email protected]
    Proud US Navy Vet' 2007-2012
    Proud Owner Wilderness Systems Ride 135
  • nbseafrognbseafrog Posts: 521 Officer
    No idea what that is. Worms in trout and AJs/almacos look like spaghetti noodles. They are easily pulled out if you take your time. If there's a bunch, just cut that section out. Hold the fillet up to the light when you're done. Sometimes, the worms aren't so obvious. They are not able to live in a human host and cooking your fish will kill any worms that are missed. I'm pretty sure I've never missed a worm and I am just as confident that if I did my wife would let me know.
    Catch 'em up!

Nick
    ZimmerNole wrote: »
    I had a trout from Flamingo with worms, it happens. However, I've eaten far more trout without worms than those that did. I do agree that they're much more prevalent in AJ's, the Almacos can have them pretty bad as well. The bigger they are = the more worms they have. I prefer to keep the smaller, tastier ones anyway.

Where did you launch, 79th street?

Yup.....In and out was off the water by 11
    Are these worms?

IMG_7621.jpeg

That looks like his stomach, the worms we are talking about would be in the filet (meat part of the fish). It also looks like a reproductive organ.
  • USNavy_AnglerUSNavy_Angler Posts: 473 Officer
    Can't say I've noticed this on any fish before. We had a good laugh, but would still like to know what it is...
    Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
    TEAM DIRTY BADGER :fishing
    Heroes On The Water
    South Florida Chapter Secretary
    [email protected]
    Proud US Navy Vet' 2007-2012
    Proud Owner Wilderness Systems Ride 135
  • HialeahAnglerHialeahAngler Posts: 9,612 Admiral
    Are these worms?

IMG_7621.jpeg

no that's his ****.
    friedpeacocks.jpg
  • XpertpeyeXpertpeye Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    That's a fish stick.....

Are these worms?

IMG_7621.jpeg