Home Egret Boats

Egretitis

stricklcstricklc Posts: 34 Deckhand
I've got the fever real bad and the only prescription is to get an Egret. I have been studying them for some time now. One of the problems is that I live on the west coast and there are none here to go for a ride on. I mainly fish the SF bay and delta for striped bass. It frequently gets rough due to strong tides and westerly wind going against the outgoing tide. My current boat is a 20 seacraft but I'm looking for something a little more friendly for fly fishing.

I have narrowed it down to either a used 189 or a new 21 moccasin. A new 2011 is more then I would want to spend on a new boat although a 20 foot boat is more like what I'm after. There is only one used 2011 for sale in the US as far as I am aware of. I have not seen a video of a 21 moccasin running yet. Egret does not have one up on it's site. When comparing the running videos of the 2011 and the 189 it appears that the 2011 runs a little "bow heavy" as compared to the 189. I realize that this may be a function of how the boat was trimmed. I am wondering if anyone can elaborate on this and how the 21 moccasin runs as compared to the 2011? I know it is a lighter boat then the 2011 and has the recessed pad for planing at lower speeds. It would be great if there were more videos of these boats to look at on the internet. Thanks for any info in advance that you guys may provide.

strick

Replies

• FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,390 Officer
    Lots of difference between the three. Just depends on your needs. Feel free to contact me.
  • stricklcstricklc Posts: 34 Deckhand
    Thanks for all the info Phil!

strick
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,390 Officer
  • mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    stricklc wrote: »
    I've got the fever real bad and the only prescription is to get an Egret. I have been studying them for some time now. One of the problems is that I live on the west coast and there are none here to go for a ride on. I mainly fish the SF bay and delta for striped bass. It frequently gets rough due to strong tides and westerly wind going against the outgoing tide. My current boat is a 20 seacraft but I'm looking for something a little more friendly for fly fishing.

I have narrowed it down to either a used 189 or a new 21 moccasin. A new 2011 is more then I would want to spend on a new boat although a 20 foot boat is more like what I'm after. There is only one used 2011 for sale in the US as far as I am aware of. I have not seen a video of a 21 moccasin running yet. Egret does not have one up on it's site. When comparing the running videos of the 2011 and the 189 it appears that the 2011 runs a little "bow heavy" as compared to the 189. I realize that this may be a function of how the boat was trimmed. I am wondering if anyone can elaborate on this and how the 21 moccasin runs as compared to the 2011? I know it is a lighter boat then the 2011 and has the recessed pad for planing at lower speeds. It would be great if there were more videos of these boats to look at on the internet. Thanks for any info in advance that you guys may provide.

strick

I'm glad you mention where you plan to use it since those waters are familiar to me. I spent 40years in SF. I would go for the Moccasin for the freeboard alone. The 189 is a great boat but under the conditions in those waters I would go to a larger platform. I did a short sea trial in the Moccasin, nice boat!
    I'd like to bring my 189 to the Sugar Barge one day for striper season. It is a long haul from the Keys!
    mtd885 wrote: »
    I'm glad you mention where you plan to use it since those waters are familiar to me. I spent 40years in SF. I would go for the Moccasin for the freeboard alone. The 189 is a great boat but under the conditions in those waters I would go to a larger platform. I did a short sea trial in the Moccasin, nice boat!
    I'd like to bring my 189 to the Sugar Barge one day for striper season. It is a long haul from the Keys!

I live 15 min away from the Sugar Barge! Thanks for the info..... that is the way I'm leaning. If you ever get back to the delta I'll take you striper fishing in what ever boat I have.....

strick
  • mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    stricklc wrote: »
    I live 15 min away from the Sugar Barge! Thanks for the info..... that is the way I'm leaning. If you ever get back to the delta I'll take you striper fishing in what ever boat I have.....

strick

I'm definitely up for that! Are you on danblanton.com? Danny is an old friend who guided the Delta. If you have not checked out his site you are missing lots of great info on fishing the Delta especially Stripers. If you ever get to Key West give me a holler. I'll introduce you to my Tarpon friends...best michael
    Mike- I have bee lurking on Blanton's site for a few months now. It's full of good fly fishing info. Been a conventional striper fisherman since the 70's and made the switch to fly rod last year. Having a ball in my 20 seacraft chasing them all over the delta. I mostly fish from the mothball fleet up both rivers. You live in paradise. I was there 4 years ago. I'll be on the gulf side the end of April on Don Pedro island for a week chasing fish on the beach...

Chuck
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    mtd885 wrote: »

The scuppers are in the same height off the water. The freeboard is very close between the boats. The 2011 is a little heavier and will ride better.I rode in them both and there is a difference in the way they handle. You will have to ride in them and make a decision for your self.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • rbtbryanrbtbryan Posts: 99 Deckhand
    Check your PM stricklc
  • Ghost147Ghost147 Posts: 36 Greenhorn
    Yup,

The Egret skiffs give you the fever alright! Mine is steaming. I'm just waiting for some cash flow to enable me to purchase one. All I've got going for me is drawing the custom features I want for the skiff I wish to purchase.... It's terrible. Such a beautiful sublime skiff. The Moccassin does look awesome. They all do!

Michael
    East Coast Sportfishing Ventures
    International Federation of Fly Fishers Certified Casting Instructor
    International Federation of Fly Fishers Fly Tying Group Member

Brisbane, Australia

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
    Martin Luther King Jr., 1963
    "Just because a fish swims away, it does not mean it will survive! Think about your fish handling methods!"
  • reelgrimmreelgrimm MiamiPosts: 458 Deckhand
    Are you a live bait guy? Either way, I'd go moccasin... I just like the layout better for bays. I haven't been on one yet, but I'm sure it feels like a much bigger boat that it is.
    My Youtube Channel
    Boat: 2015 25' Competition Single 300 Yamaha
    Latest Fishing Report - Snook on the Beach