Home Conservation Front

To all Florida Sportsman Public awareness

strykeonestrykeone Posts: 89 Greenhorn

Fellow sportsman. I am not an activist of any kind but I do love what Florida has to offer to all of us
The following event will happen very soon and it needs your support. Article taken from facebook
Please help Stop the Fracking before it is allowed
Golden Gate Community Center Auditorium, 4701 Golden Gate Parkway, Naples, FL 34116
The EPA Hearing is scheduled for MARCH 11. SAVE THE DATE! 4:00-8:30PM. We need you and all of Florida to join us to create critical mass; how many show up will determine what the EPA does. Save our water and our Everglades from dirty drilling. To speak or submit comments, email [email protected]

Oil drilling is more than an environmental issue. It is a human rights issue. Extreme extraction violates the most basic of all human rights – access to clean water and clean air.

The drilling we’re trying to stop is only 1000 feet from homes in the Big Cypress Swamp watershed, a critical recharge area in the western Everglades. Each well is permitted to use 5 million gallons of water per month. Unlike agricultural water, the drilling water cannot be recycled or reused; it is toxic and must be injected into the boulder zone. Given the worldwide water scarcity and annual water restrictions in South Florida, it is criminal to permit the oil industry to destroy so much fresh water. Imagine thousands of wells on this 115,000-acre parcel, and even more, since Collier Resources just leased another 350,000 acres of mineral rights for seismic testing. Just as the pumping of aquifers in Florida has dried up natural springs, and in Texas, entire cities, so too, the oil industry’s pumping of our aquifer threatens to dry up nearby wells and wetlands, including the Fakahatchee, Picayune, and Corkscrew.

This new type of drilling that includes acid fracking could easily destroy the entire 30-year, 13-billion dollar Everglades Restoration Project. Drilling is thus a major threat to our water: our drinking water, beaches, estuaries, rivers, wetlands, Gulf, Everglades, Florida Bay, and Keys—all of which are vital to our economy, wildlife, and to the people who call Florida home.

Our water and our Everglades are far more valuable than even a major oil play. They're our life-blood, fueling everything from agriculture to our multi-billion dollar tourist industry. The Everglades is also a national treasure, on par with the Grand Canyon. Extreme extraction isn’t safe. Not here. Not anywhere. Ask Pennsylvania, Texas, and West Virginia.

So join us, March 11, in Naples and bring as many people as you can. This is an URGENT REQUEST. The federal EPA is flying in for a hearing that could decide the fate of Florida water and open the door to Everglades drilling. We need you at the hearing to say “NO” to the injection well. March 11. Clean water not dirty drilling.

Read more: http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?147394-To-all-Florida-Sportsman-Public-awareness#ixzz2vP3wxazm

Replies

• FishinMcNutFishinMcNut Posts: 536 Officer
    strykeone wrote: »
    I am not an activist of any kind
    Are you sure about that?
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,737 Captain
    There may be some truth in that article but the pejorative terms cause me to dismiss it out of hand as biased. So sad people can't make their points without resorting to scare tactics.
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 AG
    You would be more effective in your delivery if you omitted the editorial and provided evidence in support of your argument.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • strykeonestrykeone Posts: 89 Greenhorn
    I copied the letter from the Stone CRab alliance on facebook. Written by Karen Dwyer
    The meeting will be held March 11, 2014 starting at 4pm for the public's input
    If it is not stopped the EPA will allow fracking in the Everglades
    Texas oilman Dan Hughes is planning to drill next door to the very refuge where a Florida Panther cub was recently found -- and only 1,000 feet from the nearest house! The state gave him his permits without so much as an environmental study -- but there's an EPA hearing next week, so we still have time to stop this tragedy.
    Just google fracking and see for yourself what damages it can do
    Each well is permitted to use 5 million gallons of water per month. Unlike agricultural water, the drilling water cannot be recycled or reused; it is toxic and must be injected into the boulder zone.
    I don't consider this a scare tactic but reality

Neither you nor Karen Dwyer seem to know what fracking is.
    I am not here for an argument. There are too many groups in and out of Florida that want this stopped.
    The drilling company can use chemicals that they don't even have to report to the state on what they are using stating it is a company secret from it's competition. The water they will inject into the earth is to cause shale break up so they can extract the resources like gas and oil. The water they inject is non renewable, full of chemicals and in some cases has been related to the possibility of sinkholes. I am not here to argue as I have stated. Just make Floridians more aware.
    You are entitled your thoughts and opinions
    WE can let the EPA decide on March 11th at their scheduled special meeting in Naples FL
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,688 AG
    This is part of their agenda also.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    As a stone crabber, I'm angry that these wacko's used that name for their page.
    I also seem to remember one of those wacko's had a FB page to oppose gator hunting in LOX.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    I don't see how the Stone Crab alliance fits in with what your posting
    Not even the same date with th EPA meeting
    I don't see how the Stone Crab alliance fits in with what your posting
    Not even the same date with th EPA meeting
    It was on their FB page, are you stoned?
    Go ahead and enjoy your moments of hostility, anger or whatever else you care to express
    I really don't care
    I simply care about a place here in Florida that is pristeen and not as damaged as it can be should they allow Fracking in the Everglades
    I am an outdoorsman just as you are and simply trying to tell everyone what is happening by big oil here in our neighborhoods
    I am not opposed to gator hunting or any other type of taking of game
    I am opposed to what they possibilities are if they are permitted to use their fracking methods on our lands
    So take out your aggressions on me if it makes you feel better no matter how misplaced I think it may be.
    I care about my home here in Florida
    That's all it is about
    Go ahead and enjoy your moments of hostility, anger or whatever else you care to express
    I really don't care
    I simply care about a place here in Florida that is pristeen and not as damaged as it can be should they allow Fracking in the Everglades
    I am an outdoorsman just as you are and simply trying to tell everyone what is happening by big oil here in our neighborhoods
    I am not opposed to gator hunting or any other type of taking of game
    I am opposed to what they possibilities are if they are permitted to use their fracking methods on our lands
    So take out your aggressions on me if it makes you feel better no matter how misplaced I think it may be.
    I care about my home here in Florida
    That's all it is about
    I heard that if you put mink oil on your Birkenstocks you'll sleep better.
    They're NOT talking about fracking. The permit if for an injection well to get rid of the waste water from drilling for oil. Jesus Christ, did you do the slightest bit of research before copying and pasting some rubbish upon which you stumbled while surfing the internet?
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,880 Captain
    Strykeone- I suggest you check with the Florida Wildlife Federation in Tallahassee and the FWF Southwest Florida office which is affiliated with credible Everglades hunter & fisher conservationists and has won a long history of credible conservation issue identification, response.

If in fact warranted,you can be assured your "activism" deserves thanks and applause.'Stryke' when warranted!
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • Skeeter1Skeeter1 Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    Has anyone thought about the positive inpack this could have on local communities? The business I oversee is very involved with the "fracking" and "oil drilling" industries in ND, PA, CO, TX and AK. And although there are always isolated cases, most everything involved with their processes is positive. They would pump $100 millions back into Florida economy with very little footprint left. Yes, there could be a minor mistake made to cause the damaged you mentioned. But it wouldn't do anymore harm than our state allowing commercial fisherman to over fish our waters, sugar farmers to pollute the Everglades, Miami, Lauderdale developers to develop our beloved swamps!!!!!!!!!! There are plenty things to worry about, but I wouldn't paint the oil companies as the devil just yet. I would be just as pissed about some of the other existing wrong doings that need to be fixed.
    Skeeter1 wrote: »
    Has anyone thought about the positive inpack this could have on local communities? The business I oversee is very involved with the "fracking" and "oil drilling" industries in ND, PA, CO, TX and AK. And although there are always isolated cases, most everything involved with their processes is positive. They would pump $100 millions back into Florida economy with very little footprint left. Yes, there could be a minor mistake made to cause the damaged you mentioned. But it wouldn't do anymore harm than our state allowing commercial fisherman to over fish our waters, sugar farmers to pollute the Everglades, Miami, Lauderdale developers to develop our beloved swamps!!!!!!!!!! There are plenty things to worry about, but I wouldn't paint the oil companies as the devil just yet. I would be just as pissed about some of the other existing wrong doings that need to be fixed.
    There you go bashing commercial fishermen, you are no better than the op.
  • testerman28testerman28 Posts: 1,329 Officer
    facts are guys this state is being ripped apart by greed and power. the commercial guys yes at times have taken way too much and hurt balances so A1 get over yourself! the rec guys who pose as commercial have screwed their own neighbor by over taking and selling fish from time to time (to offset their costs..???) . the average person fishing now knows no respect to really how their boat runs to tossing garbage over the side. we have people who change our roads and never finish them all to tax us more and make us pay everyday to drive them. we have cities that have no common sense that build every inch of waterfront where our eco systems are and where birds and trees were. we have people dead set on fracking up the everglades to city streets if it means $.. we overbuild without regards to waste ..

and in the end we have people on here that will jump on anyone who gives a ****.. great day in America when trolls can judge or ***** up a storm for greed or power..
    you take for granted what we have, you hurt us all..!
    Sad fact is guys the crap will hit the fan some day soon and the more basic disregard you have for this world you have the more you will teach the younger ones or other trolls it is ok to be a ***..
    facts are guys this state is being ripped apart by greed and power. the commercial guys yes at times have taken way too much and hurt balances so A1 get over yourself! the rec guys who pose as commercial have screwed their own neighbor by over taking and selling fish from time to time (to offset their costs..???) . the average person fishing now knows no respect to really how their boat runs to tossing garbage over the side. we have people who change our roads and never finish them all to tax us more and make us pay everyday to drive them. we have cities that have no common sense that build every inch of waterfront where our eco systems are and where birds and trees were. we have people dead set on fracking up the everglades to city streets if it means $.. we overbuild without regards to waste ..

and in the end we have people on here that will jump on anyone who gives a ****.. great day in America when trolls can judge or ***** up a storm for greed or power..
    you take for granted what we have, you hurt us all..!
    Sad fact is guys the crap will hit the fan some day soon and the more basic disregard you have for this world you have the more you will teach the younger ones or other trolls it is ok to be a ***..
    I wasn't trolling and don't even get me started on the Joe Lunchbucket (hide me a redfish in the bushes) rec angler/poacher.

Show me one Fl. fishery that is being overfished strickly by commercials right now(best available science and data.)

You can't, so get over you fat *** liberal self.... Frack it till it hurts.
    just the response I figured from you..
    you would take the hide off our dogs and cats if it made you money A1.. lets see lobsters and stone crab to start.. sponges before.. nets.. need me to go on??? we all are not just fat *** liberals .. we are though American men a women who know the difference in selling out everything for a buck.. we do care about what goes on ya troll..
    ps the rec guy takes way less in a year than you do in a couple days and track the best seafood and see where it goes.. who do you sell out to? simple math and respect.
    just the response I figured from you..
    you would take the hide off our dogs and cats if it made you money A1.. lets see lobsters and stone crab to start.. sponges before.. nets.. need me to go on??? we all are not just fat *** liberals .. we are though American men a women who know the difference in selling out everything for a buck.. we do care about what goes on ya troll..
    You can't do it.
    I like dogs so they are safe.
    I do work on the feral and stray cats though:machinegun.
  • BonesmugglerBonesmuggler Posts: 133 Officer
    Alright my fishing friends. I've read some replies to this posts and have sighed at the lack of education stupidity and ignorance which is down right upsetting. You people need to wake up and realize that we are destroying this world. If you disagree on any front punch yourself in the face because you are a ****. I use to work for one of those "clean energy" natural gas companies. Worse than the devil giving you a glass of milk. They pay off property owners government officials local magistrates etc. then they poison the earth with chemicals creating small earthquakes to release the gas. After they put chemically treated water back into the system by letting it evaporate so it can once again can unleashed upon our environment. All it takes is one chain reaction for a massive earth quake to happen then what? Wake up people this is our earth. Instead of berating leaving ignorant comments we should as a people think of how we can remedy these issues and collaborate on how we can lobby toward clean renewable energy. I mean what the funk we live in the sunshine state where are all the solar panels, wind energy, hydro energy I can go on and on band together do not pick apart especially for a cause as noble as this one. It would be nice to leave a healthy planet for our children wouldn't it.
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 AG
    A very compelling argument.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • Catch 22Catch 22 Posts: 1,526 Captain

Oil drilling is more than an environmental issue. It is a human rights issue. Extreme extraction violates the most basic of all human rights – access to clean water and clean air.

Read more: http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?147394-To-all-Florida-Sportsman-Public-awareness#ixzz2vP3wxazm

Mixed emotions about this one boys,

I mean to say it’s well within the OP rights to be concerned about the environment especially if it’s in his own back yard so to speak. However you certainly can’t believe everything you read on FB or expect that the info is reliable, unbiased or impartial.

Not that state and government officials can’t be bought, they can in fact “It happens all the time” but the EPA decision makers are pretty much tight **** and if something is even remotely questionable they will most likely error on the side of caution and give it a thumps down.

What I do strongly disagree with is this. “Oil drilling is more than an environmental issue. It is a human rights issue. Extreme extraction violates the most basic of all human rights – access to clean water and clean air”

To say that oil drilling is a human rights issue is a farce! This country is way too dependent on foreign oil and theirs is no need for it. The US has more than enough oil reserves. Oil rigs provide fish havens and are great for recreational fishing. Before you mention the “Deepwater Horizon” issue that affected Louisiana know that there are risk in any industry and chit happens. BP stepped up Louisiana has recovered nicely thank you.
    I have never purchased fish at the market or restaurant and I never will.
  • jad1097jad1097 Posts: 9,611 Admiral
    strykeone, until there is a major spill in big cypress/everglades most of these folks don't care if they drill. It sure the heck will not lower the price of oil.

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?146516-Everglades-oil-drilling

http://www.evergladesfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Report-Oil-Gas-Impacts.pdf
  • We have been drilling in the everglades, especially Big Cypress for well over 50 years.

Where are the google experts finding all the damage reports! Lets see some spill evidence......
    Alright my fishing friends. I've read some replies to this posts and have sighed at the lack of education stupidity and ignorance which is down right upsetting. You people need to wake up and realize that we are destroying this world. If you disagree on any front punch yourself in the face because you are a ****. I use to work for one of those "clean energy" natural gas companies. Worse than the devil giving you a glass of milk. They pay off property owners government officials local magistrates etc. then they poison the earth with chemicals creating small earthquakes to release the gas. After they put chemically treated water back into the system by letting it evaporate so it can once again can unleashed upon our environment. All it takes is one chain reaction for a massive earth quake to happen then what? Wake up people this is our earth. Instead of berating leaving ignorant comments we should as a people think of how we can remedy these issues and collaborate on how we can lobby toward clean renewable energy. I mean what the funk we live in the sunshine state where are all the solar panels, wind energy, hydro energy I can go on and on band together do not pick apart especially for a cause as noble as this one. It would be nice to leave a healthy planet for our children wouldn't it.

Please do. I'd like to know more.
    Please do. I'd like to know more.
    :banana