Skip to main content
Home Conservation Forums

;title question

Don't know if this is the right forum ,but hear I go.
12' fiberglass boat needs work/project, no idea who owned it,last sticker was in 1995.
How hard is it to get a title? Thanks in advance

Replies

• snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,298 Officer
    If it's in Florida and has been registered in Florida you can go to tax collectors office with the hull identification and they will give you the name of the current owner, who will need to go and apply for a duplicate title. He will have to get a duplicate title and then he can sign it over to you. Then you can apply for title and registration. This is the simplest process. I think there is another process where you go through civil court that I am not familiar with.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,551 Moderator
    The Tax Collectors office will not provide information regarding the registered owner due to privacy laws. I recently tried to identify a boat owner from the FL numbers. Individual was trying to sell a boat on Craig's List but left no contact information and was not responding to e-mails left thru Craig's List so I took the FL numbers from the photo and tried to ID the owner at the Tallahassee Tax Collectors office. Citing privacy laws, they refused to provide me the information. :banghead:banghead