Anyone got good slow cooker recipes?

jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,341 Moderator
Recently opened the slow cooker we got as a wedding present 5 yrs ago. We made Jamaican style oxtail and it was awesome! I still have a lot to learn (for example I used too much liquid so I had soup instead of gravy) but I want to try more items in this thing. If anyone has any good slow cooker recipes you want to share, post up!
Hobie Kayak angler for life!

Replies

• FlashFlash Posts: 11,175 AG
    Sorry, I use a Smoker. Crock Pots are sacrilege. :willynilly

Just kidding. I moved the post here, hopefully someone will add some recipes for you. Until then knock your self out.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/packages/comfort-foods/slow-cooker-meals/slow-cooker-recipes.html
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,341 Moderator
    Right on, thanks Flash.
  • riverdiverriverdiver Posts: 2,024 Captain
    I do a pork butt in the crockpot that's pretty good. If I have time I prepare it the night before, and let it sit in the fridge overnight with the rub on it.

1) Slice an onion or two into 1/4" thick slices, layer in bottom of crock pot.

2) Spkinkle pork with a tablespoon or so of worchestershire sauce and red wine vinegar, just enough to wet it. Rub pork butt down with whatever rub you like. I use kosher salt, black pepper, bit of cayenne, garlic powder, cumin, paprika, chili powder, red pepper flakes, and oregano. I usually stick several holes in the pork, and slip peeled garlic cloves into the meat equally interspersed.

3) Lay pork on top of onions fatcap up. Some people add water, cola, or sauce at this point, I don't. Let it cook all day on low until it's shreddable, I usually go 10 hours or so.

4) Pour whatever juice is in the crockpot out. Take the fatcap off with two forks. Turn the heat on the crockpot up to high, add a few good glugs of red wine vinegar, and let the pork "dry" just a bit.

5) Turn off the heat, add whatever sauce you want, and enjoy.

Some people use liquid smoke, I don't.

4) Cook on low
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,341 Moderator
    Thanks riverdiver.
    I'm starting to get the hang of the slow cooker thing and its a great appliance for someone who is away from home all day and wants to come home to a nice dinner. So far I've made:
    - Jamaican Oxtail
    - Curry Goat (another Jamaican favorite)
    - Asian fusion ribs which was supposed to be Korean BBQ, but we used pork ribs instead of beef ribs and it tasted more Chinese to me; was delicious regardless!

I'm anxious to do a nice pot roast and also want to try beef ribs soon.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,175 AG
    Cher does Beef Cube Steak in the pot. Potatoes, onions, etc. Comes out pretty nice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield