Home Egret Boats

Live Well Valve Position questions

jk085016jk085016 Posts: 32 Deckhand
My 189 live well has 2 valves. One on the pump and one at the transom. When I first launch the boat I can not get the live well to pump any water. Not sure which way the valves should be set. When I get up on plane everything works fine.

I would like to be able to fill the live well when I'm at the ramp.

Replies

• Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    jk085016 wrote: »
    My 189 live well has 2 valves. One on the pump and one at the transom. When I first launch the boat I can not get the live well to pump any water. Not sure which way the valves should be set. When I get up on plane everything works fine.

I would like to be able to fill the live well when I'm at the ramp.

If when you get on plane "everything is fine". then that is saying the ball valve for the sea chest is in the open position. If it was in the closed position, you would not get water to the pump. the other ball valve is for the overflow. If that is closed then the pump will continue to fill the baitwell until it is overflowing on to the deck.

Sounds like the baitwell pump is weak. I've never seen one installed to high, that it would not prime. If there's a loop in the input hose it may be trapping air and keeping the pump from getting primed. This could be the case, as when you are underway the water pressure will force water thru the hose and pump into the baitwell and then it works.
  • jk085016jk085016 Posts: 32 Deckhand
    Thanks Saltwater Junkie

I thought the same that the pump was not getting primed. I've tried manully filling the live well hoping that would prime the pump. But had no luck with that idea. Hoping someone on the forum might have a solution. Maybe time to send an e-mail to Frank.

The good news is it works fine once I get up on plane.
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    Thanks Saltwater Junkie

I thought the same that the pump was not getting primed. I've tried manully filling the live well hoping that would prime the pump. But had no luck with that idea. Hoping someone on the forum might have a solution. Maybe time to send an e-mail to Frank.

Filling the live well will not prime the pump. You need to get water from the pickup to the pump. Most pumps specifications will show elevations as to how far they can pull water above sea level to actually work. Since your getting to use the pump after you get on plane. I suspect that the pump is weak. so once you get on plane the is sufficient water pressure on the input side of the pump to actually get it primed.

If the pump is over a year old there's a very good chance it's on it's way out.
  • mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
    Thanks Saltwater Junkie

The pump does need to get some water over it to run properly. Are you FILLING the livewell ABOVE the pump inflow? On my old 2000 189 the inflow was in the bottom of the livewell so just dumping in water could possibly prime the pump. On my 2012 189 I would have to fill the entire live well to accomplish that. The standpipe height might not even allow that..

The pump inflow fitting is at least a std 3/4" PVC fitting as far as I can tell (I put a 3/4" cap on it) so you could unscrew the aereator inflow pipe and screw on something else that would let you pour a bucket of water down into the pump. That seems like a fair bit of work.

I used to back flush the pump inflow with the saltwater wash down and that would get the pump running.

The pumps do not last a particularly long time so you might want to replace. I've also had good luck just lifting the pump out of its fitting and reseating it. IMHO a little bit of sand or debris can jam the blades of the pump against the housing and the pump doesn't have enough torque to break that free. It's a bit tight in the bilge back there though so I would use the washdown pump. :)