Skip to main content
Home Tropics

Ambergris Caye - Belize

yachteryachter Posts: 200 Deckhand
I'm heading to Ambergris Caye - Belize in early December. It'll be my first time there and wanted to hear some feedback from those that have been. Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions. Looking to fish off-shore, reefs as well as dive.

Replies

• FishHeadFishHead Posts: 132 Deckhand
    I was there 4 years ago. I stayed at Capt. Morgan Retreat, great place. I did mostly drift diving at day and night, it was very impressive. The large amount of Large Fish on the reef. The dives were set up by the hotel. I also did some shore fishing at the end of the island. Caught some permit and bonefish wading out from shore early in the morning, and also at sunset.
  • FS JeffFS Jeff Posts: 376 Moderator
    The bonefish on the backcountry flats are small (1-2 pounds, if that) and easy to catch.

The barracuda along the reef are huge and also easy to catch (you'll have a hard time catching groupers...but you can practically pet them in Hol Chan Marine Reserve).

Snappers, small permit, small tarpon (5-10 pounds) are found in the mangroves and blue holes.

We stayed at El Pescador Lodge, which had terrific guides and nice accommodations. Panga-style boats.

We will want to hear your feedback when you return...
    Jeff Weakley
  • yachteryachter Posts: 200 Deckhand
    Thanks for the responses, I'll be staying at Pelican Reef and will share the experience when I return.
  • ClassifiedInfoClassifiedInfo Posts: 71 Greenhorn
    Yachter,

I rented a golf cart to explore the island and be able to drive around to fishing spots. There are many empty lots on the Island that, apparently, were never developed. They have make shift docks that you can walk out onto. Make sure you take some Hank Brown jigs and ask the locals where you can get some bait, i.e.; shrimp, crabs, squid, etc. You can fish from shore and catch a couple of bones at sun up and sunset...Finally, make sure you check out Pedro's Inn. It's owned by a Brit named Peter...They make an amazing pizza and always have something to do. Poker night, game night, Yager Night, etc. They know how to party.

Jorge
    Thanks Jorge for the info, I will definitely hit poker night and try the pizza as well as tell Peter that you sent me there.
    Update: Trip was postponed until Spring but I will report after, Happy Holidays!!!