Recreational hunting/fishing has depleted???

13»

Replies

• Red FishRed Fish Posts: 1,163 Officer
    huntmstr wrote: »
    Blackwater WMA
    Lawful hunting of deer via depredation permits has decimated the deer populations in that area.
    That isn't even close to being true. The herd in Blackwater is plenty fine.
    I know nothing about depredation permits but the herd ain't hurting i assure you.
    Genesis 27:3 - Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 3,761 Captain
    I simply believe if you completely de-regulated recreational hunting and fishing; there would be no ill effects on game as long as commercial hunting/fishing was kept in check.
    This is so difficult for me to believe, I have to call the statement ludicrous. No disrespect, I just can't see how you got to this conclusion. It might help if you define "commercial hunting".
    Seems to me it would a lot more difficult to regulate hunting at all if you let it get to the point of proving the difference. You have to draw a line somewhere and I think I like it better where it is then where you would like to locate it.
    If there was not regulation, the species that were the most accessible would disappear first. The poorest counties would lose the largest amounts the fastest, both fish and game.
    Not surprisingly, it's my experience the these area hold the most fish and the most game.
    We need no additional recreational hunting/fishing regulations. They only chip away at our rights a little at a time and we are going to wake up and find that hunting and fishing is now only a hobby for the wealthy.
    This has already happened in many countries, and is starting to happen right here in our state, by our state. So I agree 100%. I see very little reason to believe it won't happen, eventually.

I think it started in Texas and spread from there. Look at what's going on with whitetail farms and trophy hunts all over the country. Some people are completely obsessed with the rack. The hunt is forgotten, they just see the rack on the wall, doesn't matter how it got there...
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway. nj
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 1,637 Captain
    I still have a hard time believing most are successful enough to kill just 2-3 deer a year even if we busted our butts trying... Now, if ol Down4dacount was turned loose to kill at will, we might have some serious extinctions on our hands.
  • PinkIndian321PinkIndian321 Posts: 485 Deckhand
    Big Mak wrote: »
    I still have a hard time believing most are successful enough to kill just 2-3 deer a year even if we busted our butts trying... Now, if ol Down4dacount was turned loose to kill at will, we might have some serious extinctions on our hands.

This is true. Him and LC would have to be subject to different regulations. :wink
  • flhawghuntrflhawghuntr Posts: 108 Deckhand
    I believe snook would be a species that is a prime example of the potential collapse if there were little or no regulations for recreational fisherman.
    I know it would be rather easy to keep many large breeder fish during spawning season.

edit: I believe that any financial incentive, whether guiding or commercial harvest, can or could collapse any species of game. That is just human nature in my opinion.

You obviously do not dive as the snook population has been in decline at all in the last 30 years or so. Not like you would have them believe. Every inlet is slammed full of snook they even catch them every now again north of the Florida border. Just like when they closed red fishing there was no shortage of them at all. Just another example of poor management by over regulation.
    " Better being thirty minutes early than five minutes late "
  • rrbgttrrbgtt Posts: 6,753 Admiral
    surfman wrote: »
    So why don't you put a sign out in front of your property advertising that it is open to all recreational hunting with no rules.

Because I'm selfish.:grin
    From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. Ye damned bobcat!
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 3,761 Captain
    rrbgtt wrote: »
    Nice first post.
    Thanks
    It's concise, relevent.........efficient.
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway. nj
  • fatpossumfatpossum Posts: 195 Deckhand
    Bottom line is game laws are set to make sure recreational harvest is sustainable and doesn't restul in extinction.
  • Skunk ApeSkunk Ape Posts: 3,848 Captain
    Y'all pass that tag and report deer limit gimmick you're gonna put Thomas right out of business.
    Thanks
    It's concise, relevent.........efficient.

Yet.......wrong.:grin
    From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. Ye damned bobcat!
  • DoradoDreaminDoradoDreamin Posts: 1,880 Captain
    It's a bulls41t question with no answer. "Recreational" hunting as you are defining it didn't exist until this past century. Until then it was commercial hunting and sustenance hunting (basically unlimited take) which had reduced most game populations to depletion. Recreational hunting was born from regulation because the land and game couldn't handle sustenance hunting anymore so "recreational" is all that is available. So it we stop recreational regulations then we would go back to depleted game populations quickly. What would happen if our food supply was disrupted and everyone in FL had to hunt to eat? We would be out of game quickly.

I agree a large percentage of hunters have some self control but there is a decent percentage of hunters that would shoot everything they could and the rest of us would suffer because of it. Come back to reality.
  • Fish AddictFish Addict Posts: 686 Officer
    It's a bulls41t question with no answer. "Recreational" hunting as you are defining it didn't exist until this past century. Until then it was commercial hunting and sustenance hunting (basically unlimited take) which had reduced most game populations to depletion. Recreational hunting was born from regulation because the land and game couldn't handle sustenance hunting anymore so "recreational" is all that is available. So it we stop recreational regulations then we would go back to depleted game populations quickly. What would happen if our food supply was disrupted and everyone in FL had to hunt to eat? We would be out of game quickly.

I agree a large percentage of hunters have some self control but there is a decent percentage of hunters that would shoot everything they could and the rest of us would suffer because of it. Come back to reality.

:Agree
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 22,783 AG
    http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/animals/photos/13-animals-hunted-to-extinction
    13 animals hunted to extinction

I know, I know, "Bunny Hugger"!

Just read all the posts. Recreational versus commercial, eh?
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
    Cyclist wrote: »
    http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/animals/photos/13-animals-hunted-to-extinction
    13 animals hunted to extinction

I know, I know, "Bunny Hugger"!

Just read all the posts. Recreational versus commercial, eh?

Only two pigs left. You need to come get one of them...
    Only two pigs left. You need to come get one of them...

Yesterday was the last day for Lochloosa. Me and my hunting buddies managed to take 2 more the last 2 weeks.

I saw the thread where you neighbors little boy took out some pigs. Good job! 2 left eh?
    Cyclist wrote: »
    Yesterday was the last day for Lochloosa. Me and my hunting buddies managed to take 2 more the last 2 weeks.

I saw the thread where you neighbors little boy took out some pigs. Good job! 2 left eh?

Two sows. I caught the twelve piglets in the trap. They are in a pen eating corn.
    Two sows. I caught the twelve piglets in the trap. They are in a pen eating corn.

Don't blink! Before you know it there will 100 in that pen!
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 2,863 Captain

mmmmm...that sounds good
13»