Skip to main content
Home Politics

Case for term limits

mrblugilmrblugil Posts: 904 Officer
John Dingell congressman from Mich after 58 years of feeding at the public trough will step down an his wife wants to take his place,the stupidity of voters never cease's to amaze me

Replies

• Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 28,892 AG
    mrblugil wrote: »
    John Dingell congressman from Mich after 58 years of feeding at the public trough will step down an his wife wants to take his place,the stupidity of voters never cease's to amaze me

His wife is 60. Plenty of those in Congress.
    Vote for the other candidate
  • jlh49jlh49 Posts: 3,127 Officer
    Mister-Jr wrote: »
    His wife is 60. Plenty of those in Congress.

Unfortunately, ranking seniority brings with it many perks for the represented party. Jesse Helms & Strom Thurmond are two that come to mind. Thurmond was so mentally & physically feeble at the end of his career, he could only sit & read what was written for him during Senate sessions.

No question, there needs to be change; however, it is doubtful it will occur.
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 28,892 AG
    jlh49 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, ranking seniority brings with it many perks for the represented party. Jesse Helms & Strom Thurmond are two that come to mind. Thurmond was so mentally & physically feeble at the end of his career, he could only sit & read what was written for him during Senate sessions.

No question, there needs to be change; however, it is doubtful it will occur.

If you are suggesting a change in rules to limit the terms of those serving I have no problem, but if wife wants to run, let the voter decide.
    Vote for the other candidate
  • ParkerboyParkerboy Posts: 7,045 Admiral

Remember that he inherited the position himself. His father held the sear for nearly 20 years before him. I believe that between the two the Dingell's have gel the seat for approximately 80 years.

Sort of makes the Kennedys look like Johnny Come Latelys doesn't it?
    Deo Vindice
  • rickcrickc Posts: 9,172 Admiral
    Term limits would surely reduce the influence money has on politics. How much are you willing to invest in your bought and paid for representative if he is only going.to be there a few years.

less time for politicians to obligate themselves to lobbiest while feathering their nest

combine that with getting corporate money out of politics

and we might once again have a government of the people, for the people and by the people
  • jlh49jlh49 Posts: 3,127 Officer
    Mister-Jr wrote: »
    If you are suggesting a change in rules to limit the terms of those serving I have no problem, but if wife wants to run, let the voter decide.

Agreed!
  • SWFL_F1sh0nSWFL_F1sh0n Posts: 17,248 Officer

She'll probably win simply because of her last name. I am not aware of anyone but those in politics who disagree with term limits. Can't remember where I saw it, but the idea that folks server 2 terms in any position and when they leave they get no more benefits, pay, retirement (other than SS), etc. . . . of course it will never happen since like a Corporate Board, they vote their own compensation packages.
    She'll probably win simply because of her last name. I am not aware of anyone but those in politics who disagree with term limits. Can't remember where I saw it, but the idea that folks server 2 terms in any position and when they leave they get no more benefits, pay, retirement (other than SS), etc. . . . of course it will never happen since like a Corporate Board, they vote their own compensation packages.

I have a bit different thought on the term limits. I believe no one in Congress should be allowed to serve more than 12 years. In this firgue the length of existing term would not need to be altered. For House members this would equate to 6 two year terms while Senators would be restricted to 2 six year terms. They would then be required to leave office for one term before running again and, prohibited from holding any government office or working as a lobbyist during the next term of their previous office.

More than corporate objection to term limits, although there would be some, the reason there will never be term limits is because these crooks, aka politicians, can always be counted on to vote in their own self interest.
    Deo Vindice
  • CaptBobBryantCaptBobBryant Posts: 5,716 Officer
    Parkerboy wrote: »
    I have a bit different thought on the term limits. I believe no one in Congress should be allowed to serve more than 12 years. In this firgue the length of existing term would not need to be altered. For House members this would equate to 6 two year terms while Senators would be restricted to 2 six year terms. They would then be required to leave office for one term before running again and, prohibited from holding any government office or working as a lobbyist during the next term of their previous office.

More than corporate objection to term limits, although there would be some, the reason there will never be term limits is because these crooks, aka politicians, can always be counted on to vote in their own self interest.

You see I would give a person a maximum of 22 years in national public service...
    No more than 8 years in congress (4 terms), 6 years in Senate (1 term) and 8 Years as president (2 Terms).
    Or any combination of the above not to exceed 22 year in national office.

Repealing the 17th amendment might also help remove monetary influence on the Senate. Senators were a lot more beholding to the state when they were chosen by each state's legislature.
    National Association of Recreational Anglers - Add Your Voice
    https://www.facebook.com/RecAnglers?notif_t=page_new_likes
    You see I would give a person a maximum of 22 years in national public service...
    No more than 8 years in congress (4 terms), 6 years in Senate (1 term) and 8 Years as president (2 Terms).

Repealing the 17th amendment might also help remove monetary influence on the Senate. Senators were a lot more beholding to the state when they were chosen by each state's legislature.

I agree about repealing the 17th but alas I fear that is as much a pipe dream as term limits. I am in favor of anything which would return more control to the individual states.
    Deo Vindice
  • SWFL_F1sh0nSWFL_F1sh0n Posts: 17,248 Officer

I am sort of along those lines . .but more like 4 as US Congressman, 12 as a senator, and 8 as president. No more than 2 terms in any one office.

Naturally the states have the right to determine their own fate/rules, however at a Federal Level that would be my preference. However MOST importantly, they play be the same rules as normal citizens. No insider trading, no steering committees, no benefits after office is over, other than SS.

We have to make it a solution where people WANT to serve for the right reasons.
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 8,312 Admiral
    Somebody wake me up.......or maybe not, as this is like a dream..........a really nice dream.

I mean RC & SW & PARKER & MR & CPT BOB & Me......and we're all in basic agreement on something!!!!

MODS need to mark this down someplace..............

Or does it mean we are ALL WRONG??????
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,770 Moderator
    rickc wrote: »
    Term limits would surely reduce the influence money has on politics. How much are you willing to invest in your bought and paid for representative if he is only going.to be there a few years.

less time for politicians to obligate themselves to lobbiest while feathering their nest

combine that with getting corporate money out of politics

and we might once again have a government of the people, for the people and by the people

^^^ THIS ^^^
    "You'll get your weather"
    Sense this so far has been a love fest should I make it divisive......or just enjoy it?
  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    Next question - How do we get enough of these clowns to vote away the money and power?
    bswiv wrote: »
    Sense this so far has been a love fest should I make it divisive......or just enjoy it?

Sure, have at it.
    Deo Vindice
    https://votesmart.org/bill/votes/8262#.Uw5pwJWPIqQ

HERE IT IS.............WE HAD A CHANCE BUT ONE TEAM WOULD NOT PLAY.........