Skip to main content
Home Politics

Thank You Michelle

Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 28,892 AG
It appears her Let’s Move! program has been effective. It also means, lower medical costs in the future for America. The President and his wife will be remembered for taking on health care costs, uninsured and unhealthy and stopping the declining health of poor America.

New CDC data shows 43 percent drop in obesity rates among children 2 to 5

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/new-cdc-data-shows-43-percent-drop-in-obesity-rates-among-children-2-to-5/2014/02/25/b5b3a3fa-9e65-11e3-9ba6-800d1192d08b_story.html?hpid=z4
Vote for the other candidate

Replies

• HomerSimpsonHomerSimpson Posts: 6,573 Admiral
    kids stopped eating the lunches that Mrs Obama mandated. They were nasty, even by school food standards. I wonder if that had anything to do with it?

BTW....they have started letting those banned lunches back because kids weren't eating their lunch.
  • old thompsonold thompson Posts: 6,497 Officer
    th?id=HN.608014511280949212&w=136&h=168&c=7&rs=1&qlt=80&pid=1.7

"Eat your vegetables!"- Michelle Obama

:shrug
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 28,892 AG
    I am thrilled at the progress we've made over the last few years in obesity rates among our youngest Americans," Obama said in a statement. "Healthier habits are beginning to become the new norm."

:USA
  • jlh49jlh49 Posts: 3,127 Officer
    Regardless of why it has decreased and/or who is responsible, it is a good thing.

"...While the precise reasons for the decline in obesity among 2 to 5 year olds are not clear, many child care centers have started to improve their nutrition and physical activity standards over the past few years. In addition, CDC data show decreases in consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages among youth in recent years. Another possible factor might be the improvement in breastfeeding rates in the United States, which is beneficial to staving off obesity in breastfed children..."

http://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2014/p0225-child-obesity.html

My wife and daughter worked as Extended Day Teachers at an elementary school (K-5th). According to them, the lunches/snacks sent by parents were the majority of the time lacking in fruits/vegetables and were most often chips/candy/cookies.

Nobody gets to pick their parents.
  • NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 12,386 AG
    :Spittingcoffee :Spittingcoffee

"2 to 5 years olds"....yeah that's the target group of "lets move"......:idiot....Grasping at straws Mister??
    According to the CDC report, older children made no progress, with nearly 18% of kids ages 6 to 11 remaining obese, as well as 20.5% of kids ages 12 to 19. In women over age 60, obesity rates climbed from 31% to 35.4% in the same period, the study shows.

Obesity "remains at historic highs," says David Ludwig of Boston Children's Hospital, who has warned that today's kids could be the first generation in history to live shorter, less healthy lives than their parents. He described the declining obesity rates among youngsters only as an "encouraging preliminary finding."

Thomas Robinson, a professor of pediatrics at Stanford University, notes that obesity rates among kids ages 2 to 5 have gone up and down significantly over the past decade. Although the survey included 9,120 people, only 871 were ages 2 to 5 years old. And of those children, only about 70 were obese. So in any given year, a relatively small number of children can have a big impact on obesity rates.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/02/25/child-obesity-drops/5813395/
  • LouieLouieLouieLouie Posts: 2,702 Officer
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I want to offer thanks the "FS Forum Powers That Be" for giving me the opportunity to see the light and makes changes from my past... The knowledge and awareness I have gained during the last few months of BannedCation has helped changed my life... I will strive to continue in the right, I mean LEFT direction... Thank You.
    A major new paper appearing in today's edition of the Journal of the American Medical Association finds that childhood obesity -- age 2 to 5 -- has fallen from 13.9 percent in 2003-04 to 8.4 percent in 2011-12. This age (represented by dark green in the above chart) was the only group to see a significant decline, but it's generating headlines because it raises hopes that these children will remain at healthy weights as they get older. It won't surprise anyone to say that the nation's obesity epidemic poses a major public health problem.

The new paper, by Centers for Disease Control researcher Cynthia L. Ogden and co-authors, doesn't say why childhood obesity is declining. But the paper and several other studies that it cites suggest a number of theories:

1. Nutrition assistance such as food stamps and WIC (women, infants and children) may have led to decreases in childhood obesity among low-income Americans as federal standards have changed to promote healthier eating. For example, WIC has revised its funding formula to boost the amount of fruits and vegetables and peanut butter a mother and her child eat. At the time time, WIC has limited the amount of (non-breast) milk that a child drinks, to limit fat intake.

2. New federal nutritional guidelines have trickled down to state and local programs, such as encouraging increased consumption of water and 100 percent fruit juice, limiting serving sizes, encouraging a single adult not to feed more than one infant at a time, and limiting time in front of the television.

3. As the value of breastfeeding has been increasingly understood, there’s been a substantial increase in babies drinking breastmilk. One study showed that 70.3 percent of children breastfed in 2000, rising to 74.6 percent in 2008.

4. Pregnant women have increasingly understood the risks of smoking during pregnancy, with a study showing the percentage of women doing so declining from 13.3 percent in 2000 to 12.3 percent in 2010.

5. Food companies, under pressure, have limited television advertisements targeting children. Between 2003 and 2007, the daily exposure of a child, age to 2 to 5, to food ads fell by 13.7 percent.

6. A number of national initiatives have promoted healthy eating among children, such as first lady Michelle Obama’s “Let’s Move” initiative and reports from a wide range of groups such as the American Public Health Association and American Academy of Pediatrics

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/02/26/these-6-reasons-explain-why-childhood-obesity-has-fallen-so-much/
    Mister-Jr wrote: »

Wow, you still believe the stat's the obozo admin tries to feed us? You must be quite the Unicorn cowboy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I want to offer thanks the "FS Forum Powers That Be" for giving me the opportunity to see the light and makes changes from my past... The knowledge and awareness I have gained during the last few months of BannedCation has helped changed my life... I will strive to continue in the right, I mean LEFT direction... Thank You.
    Bet ya MrJr has already pre-ordered the wookie blow-up.
    LouieLouie wrote: »
    Wow, you still believe the stat's the obozo admin tries to feed us? You must be quite the Unicorn cowboy.

If your children are obese, please accept my sympathies.
    If your children are obese, please accept my sympathies.

Geez, the rhetoric is getting weaker and weaker.
  • Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 21,694 AG
    Trolling thread...no proof.
  • Squid RowSquid Row Posts: 4,133 Officer
    It appears her Let’s Move! program has been effective. It also means, lower medical costs in the future for America. The President and his wife will be remembered for taking on health care costs, uninsured and unhealthy and stopping the declining health of poor America.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/new-cdc-data-shows-43-percent-drop-in-obesity-rates-among-children-2-to-5/2014/02/25/b5b3a3fa-9e65-11e3-9ba6-800d1192d08b_story.html?hpid=z4

My Non Government Affiliated study says the opposite.

On Tuesday, the same day Michelle Obama delivered her "Let's Move" fourth anniversary speech, the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) released results on the condition of childhood obesity in America, which includes statistics through 2012, three years into the Let's Move Program.

JAMA’s conclusion: “Overall, there have been no significant changes in obesity prevalence in youth or adults between 2003-2004 and 2011-2012. Obesity prevalence remains high and thus it is important to continue surveillance.”

https://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1832542
    Squid Row
    Why don't we use geothermal energy?

In most places, just a mile beneath the crust, the earth is several million degrees.

Team Sabatage
    Most places?

Try 18 to 22 miles down before we get to the heat you mentioned, in most places.
    In those places it is only a mile down it is a good alternative.

I already know more than you ever will on all subjects.
    :rotflmao
    Lucky7Team2
    300 billion people on a planet eating, farting, pooing, making stuff, etc
  • Conchy CrackerConchy Cracker Posts: 10,454 Officer
    Got to admit when I first heard this I figured the GOP had a collective gasp suddenly regretting cutting food stamps.
    Squid Row wrote: »
    My Non Government Affiliated study says the opposite.

On Tuesday, the same day Michelle Obama delivered her "Let's Move" fourth anniversary speech, the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) released results on the condition of childhood obesity in America, which includes statistics through 2012, three years into the Let's Move Program.

JAMA’s conclusion: “Overall, there have been no significant changes in obesity prevalence in youth or adults between 2003-2004 and 2011-2012. Obesity prevalence remains high and thus it is important to continue surveillance.”

https://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1832542

Did you read it?

There was a significant decrease in obesity among 2- to 5-year-old children (from 13.9% to 8.4%; P = .03) and a significant increase in obesity among women aged 60 years and older (from 31.5% to 38.1%

You should always read the links you try and use to fool people. Someone looks silly now, and it ain't who you think.

Look at squidy's link.
    Did you read it?

Did you?

Overall, there have been no significant changes in obesity prevalence in youth or adults between 2003-2004 and 2011-2012

since "let's move" is pushed in and by schools, what 2-5 year olds took part in school?

Part of the lets move program is to improve access to healthy foods.
    Did anyone tell the people of Portland?

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — The Trader Joe’s grocery-store chain has dropped a plan to open a new store in the heart of the city’s historically African-American neighborhood after activists said the development would price black residents out of the area.

Local community leaders and activists said on Feb. 3 that opening a Trader Joe’s in the historically Black neighborhood would “increase the desirability of the neighborhood for non-oppressed populations” and risk gentrifying the neighborhood.

God forbid the hood becomes "desirable".

LOL
    "Non-oppressed people" = white people.
    Squid Row

In most places, just a mile beneath the crust, the earth is several million degrees.

Team Sabatage
    Most places?

Try 18 to 22 miles down before we get to the heat you mentioned, in most places.

Lucky7Team2
  • Duke LaCroixDuke LaCroix Posts: 123 Deckhand

The "nut"huggery is strong in this one.
    The "nut"huggery is strong in this one.

I sure the CDC made this stuff up and Michelle and never said a word about healthy eating or exercise. I'm also confident your explanation is far better and more believable. Why don't you tell what it is?

Once again http://www.letsmove.gov/about
    Did you?

Overall, there have been no significant changes in obesity prevalence in youth or adults between 2003-2004 and 2011-2012

since "let's move" is pushed in and by schools, what 2-5 year olds took part in school?

Part of the lets move program is to improve access to healthy foods.
    Did anyone tell the people of Portland?

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — The Trader Joe’s grocery-store chain has dropped a plan to open a new store in the heart of the city’s historically African-American neighborhood after activists said the development would price black residents out of the area.

Local community leaders and activists said on Feb. 3 that opening a Trader Joe’s in the historically Black neighborhood would “increase the desirability of the neighborhood for non-oppressed populations” and risk gentrifying the neighborhood.

God forbid the hood becomes "desirable".

LOL
    "Non-oppressed people" = white people.

Subject chance indicates lack of knowledge on the topic, but most of us already knew that.
  • polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,053 Officer
    You are all pathetic. Really. Each of you one sided, single-minded children are much to blame for where we are at as a country now. All the same names constantly showing up to argue with each other...never convincing the other side, never interesed in anything more than irritating the other Absolutely no give; no ability to look for the good in a way of thinking alternative to your own. No ability to admit that perhaps in some cases you may be wrong.

I have no admiration for the Obamas/Democrats and what many their policies have done to my family, friends and small business owners I speak with. Still, if Mrs Obama's initiative has resulted in a drop for childhood obesity rates, I cheer her on. No man is right all the time, and so no one party is as well. You ALL need to go fishing more.
    ****, that's pretty good. Good thought.
    Squid Row

Team Sabatage
    Most places?

Lucky7Team2
  • tagtag Posts: 9,414 Admiral
    There is less obesity rates among children 2 to 5 because of Barry's campaign to destroy the middle class. Mommy and Daddy no longer have enough to feed little Jimmy.
  • phlatsphilphlatsphil Posts: 14,632 AG
    Experts: Michelle Obama Cited Bogus Study Showing Drastic Drop in Childhood Obesity

http://m.weeklystandard.com/blogs/experts-michelle-obama-cited-bogus-study-showing-drastic-drop-childhood-obesity_785242.html

More Lies

Mr jr duped again

Doesn't she get an A for effort? She, and all FLOTUS', are politicians in their own right. They have a staff of underlings, including schedulers and analysts. So when she or "the" president, whomever he/she may be, says something, they're repeating what their staff has told them.

Nevertheless, her program is doing something good for Americans, more than likely more than you've ever done.
    phlatsphil wrote: »
    Doesn't she get an A for effort?
    LOL
    everyone gets a prize
    She, says something, they're repeating what their staff has told them.
    Like a parrot
    Squid Row

Team Sabatage
    Most places?

Lucky7Team2
  • Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 21,694 AG
    kids stopped eating the lunches that Mrs Obama mandated. They were nasty, even by school food standards. I wonder if that had anything to do with it?

BTW....they have started letting those banned lunches back because kids weren't eating their lunch.

Where is the proof it is connected?
  • SWFL_F1sh0nSWFL_F1sh0n Posts: 17,248 Officer

Stats from the CDC is not proof?
  • stsimonsstsimons Posts: 7,292 Admiral
    Stats from the CDC is not proof?

Like unemployment numbers?

or deportation numbers?

or Obamacare numbers?

yeah…. like anyone believes anything this admin says.