Divers!

I really hope this is the year I get back to spearfishing. It seems like a no brainer in that I'm in the best condition of me life and with the limits you can be selective and add a specie or 2.

So who are our divers?

I'm getting my boat ready(gonna use her this year). Lets use the NW to coordinate some dive/fishing trips and post up some awesome reports this year. What ye say??

Replies

• KlingerKlinger Posts: 1,708 Captain
    I'm getting too fat & old to dive much. I have gotten to the point that I just don't like diving in cold water. If you can schedule some time during the month of August, I can take you snorkeling/spearfishing/lobstering in the Keys :grin
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • MulletMullet Posts: 2,307 Moderator
    Klinger wrote: »
    I'm getting too fat & old to dive much. I have gotten to the point that I just don't like diving in cold water. If you can schedule some time during the month of August, I can take you snorkeling/spearfishing/lobstering in the Keys :grin

Be careful, I just might.
    Mullet wrote: »
    Be careful, I just might.

Just let me know when. We take the boat out every day unless there's a tropical storm. Unless the wind is in excess of 30mph, we're there. Almost never snorkel more than 12'.
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • FamilyfisherFamilyfisher Posts: 2,744 Captain
    I'm your driver.
    Proverbs 13:3
  • Jolly ManJolly Man Posts: 967 Officer
    My bride and I are in. We can take my boat if you want, lets let the water get to 70ish and we are players.
    The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude... I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. - Charles Swindoll
  • ranamanranaman Posts: 319 Officer
    I'm your driver.

Dang Brad beat me to it! Hell I'll wench if I have too! :)
  • amada8amada8 Posts: 782 Officer
    I'm your driver.

Sorry Brad, I'm the designated driver. Can't putt for crap.
    amada8 wrote: »

Some things never change.
  • kgfisherkgfisher Posts: 607 Officer
    I dive but cold and murky water are not my thing. I'll be glad to fish and watch things topside.
    "The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore"

- Vincent Van Gogh

2215GAG3.jpg
  • omegafooomegafoo Posts: 3,125 Captain
    I have two nitrox bottles at the house begging to be used and no dive buddies these days, especially when most of my fishing is west of here and over 130'
    omegafoo wrote: »
    I have two nitrox bottles at the house begging to be used and no dive buddies these days, especially when most of my fishing is west of here and over 130'

Yeh I'm happy at 100' and shallower. Prefer 75 in really. I burn nitrox but use air numbers as a rule just for safety factor.
  • JKPJKP Posts: 2,918 Captain
    If you could put some trophy fish on my hook while down there you can ride on my boat anytime.
  • GrouperGuruGrouperGuru Posts: 247 Deckhand
    I'm really interested in getting back into diving this year too. I think my back surgery was successful enough that I can handle it again.
  • illinoisfishermanillinoisfisherman Posts: 5,173 Admiral
    Diving is scary to old farts like me.............
    Yeh I'm happy at 100' and shallower. Prefer 75 in really. I burn nitrox but use air numbers as a rule just for safety factor.

100' is plenty for me to unless I've got some killer wreck up to 120'.

One thing I always wanted to do is get tech certified and go dive the Saratoga and the Oriskany. I know the Oriskany is doable without tech cert (80' to the super structure) and a trimix but it's 212 to the bottom I just feel like it'd be a better dive if you could go deeper than 130

Edit:
    Its not the Saratoga that I'm remembering... The one I'm thinking about was sunk in the Atlantic off one of the Carolina coats in roughly 300'
  • KayakMacGyverKayakMacGyver Posts: 998 Officer
    I love to sling some steel! Not big into sight seeing underwater, but I have nothing against those who do. If strap on a tank, it's only to go get something I can eat. I did a moderate amount of spearing on the 'Drop, but the boat wasn't doing nearly as much diving as it did in it's hay day. That's not to say I didn't get to do so,e really great diving, because I definitely did.

When we moved to PC I got big into it. The diving over there is off the chain. Unfortunately, so are the sharks. 90% of my diving has been solo; mainly because it's been tough to find a reliable partner who wanted to go or someone who respected the boat with their equipment. Once I started spear fishing it was hard to resist the addiction of wanting to go. Usually it was me dropping with Alicia watching bubbles. I started having big problems with the Bull Sharks in Panama City and I'll never forget the feeling when I was in 80', hadn't seen a shootable fish all dive and finally found a nice Red Grouper after 15 minutes of wasting air. Viz was 10' or less and I pulled the trigger about 5' from the fish. As SOON as I pulled the trigger and it made that "pop" I had 3 big bulls within guns length trying it figure out where my struggling fish was. I'm not ashamed to say that the fish was left behind and it cost me a 50$ bill. It also left me with a really uneasy feeling during the safety stop. These days, I really prefer to dive with a buddy if all possible. The older I'm getting, the more I'm starting to think about the "what if's" when I'm down there.

I've got all my gear always ready to go if you ever need another diver.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    They Can't Us "You Should Have Been There Yesterday"...........Because We Were!
  • illinoisfishermanillinoisfisherman Posts: 5,173 Admiral
    KayakM you have the right idea ...... be safe enjoy a long life......temper your adventures with a dash of caution. --- "Always keep one eye on what's around you" .... is the best advice I was ever given by an 80 year old "crazy, wild man". ---- Take that advice from another old man that survived a lot of stuff long enough to give it.
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 4,824 Captain
    :rotflmao been there & done that. good advice. I'm almost twice the age I thought I would never live to see.
  • grouper sandwichgrouper sandwich Posts: 531 Officer
    My wetsuits don't fit anymore, they fall off of me...
    corksling-2.jpg
  • LiveLineLiveLine Wakulla County, FloridaPosts: 1,590 Captain

Congrats...
  • Jolly ManJolly Man Posts: 967 Officer
    Lets try ti go friday before bash
    The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude... I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. - Charles Swindoll
  • MulletteMullette Posts: 38 Deckhand
    If you are planning to dive, Mullet, you need to increase your life insurance :)
  • bottomtimebottomtime Posts: 332 Deckhand
    My story is much like Kayak Mac's. Was slinging steel every chance I could a few years back. Was shooting off of Indian Pass in 2009 with a couple of newbie diver friends from Kansas City. They were sucking air like a bad Edelbrock carbureter and flailing around way too much to get a lot of shooting action. As we made our way back down the ledge we were anchored on, I kept checking their air and knew they were at about a grand when we returned to the anchor line. I motioned for the two of them to ascend on the anchor line, and I was going to stay behind and try to fill my stringer as I had quite a bit of air left. The mangos and a couple of ARS did their part and died in noble fashion as did a couple of really nice Gags. As I strung one of the Gags on my stringer and reached up to reload the bands on my gun, I was suddenly doubled over and being drug backwards along the bottom while being "kicked" by a rough tail. A shark had grabbed the stringer that was clipped to a D-ring on the bottom of my BC and was taking me for an underwater Nantucket Sleigh Ride. Fortunately, the D-ring ripped away from the BC and me and Mr. Grey Suit parted company. I couldn't tell how big it was, but I'm about a biscuit over 300# and it was dragging me along with no great effort. I couldn't go "big job" for a couple of days cause my exit orifice was clamped down tighter than a sea crabs ****.

I have dove and shot a few times since then, but it just isn't the same. I spent too much time worrying about what was around me in the distant to be the quality fish shooter I used to be.
  • BodineBodine Posts: 2,888 Captain
    If I don't have 50' or more of viability, diving is not fun for me.
    Hence, I dont dive up here. There are those rare days, but I would
    not drag my gear out every trip to find one.
    F the feds
    Mullette wrote: »
    If you are planning to dive, Mullet, you need to increase your life insurance :)

deal. That was easier than expected.
    deal. That was easier than expected.

:smiley-computer
    These days, I really prefer to dive with a buddy if all possible. The older I'm getting, the more I'm starting to think about the "what if's" when I'm down there.

I was trained, extensively, that diving is a buddy sport. I haven't done it by myself. I won't. I went through FSU's dive program when it was actually open to all students and not just the underwater "majors". PEN1136C, if I remember right. It's a YMCA program. Our instructors were really good and I went on to the leadership program with a bunch that I went through the class with. We had a great time, got further certs (Nitrox, O2 Admin, CPR, First Aid, DiveMaster - some went on to be Instructors). Never once did any of us dive without a partner. Never once did we teach to dive without a partner. Too many things can go wrong when your only lifeline is strapped to your back.

As I've aged, and now have a family, I certainly will not do it if it if I'm the only one going down to shoot fish. But no one should ever dive alone. That's the former DiveMaster in me coming out. You just don't do that!

I love it. It's a blast. But because I don't have dive buddies any more, I've recently considered selling my gear recently - unless I have a new found need to keep them :) But I will not dive by myself 100% for the safety factor.

I can attest to this. I ran into him a few weeks back and he's a fraction of the man he used to be :thumbsup
  • hornypiranhahornypiranha Posts: 31 Deckhand
    good to see a few divers coming out of the closet :cool:........as mentioned already, it takes a fairly tight group of buddies with similar passion/interests to consistently remain active.....with steep gas prices, tight bag limits, etc it's tough to run the boat with just one or two divers.......and the coordination with getting enough folks to show up on game day can be challenging.....but I'll be getting wet by April and look forward to seeing some dive reports this Spring/Summer (and Bottomtime, like it or not, you're getting wet this summer)
    bottomtime wrote: »
    As I strung one of the Gags on my stringer and reached up to reload the bands on my gun, I was suddenly doubled over and being drug backwards along the bottom while being "kicked" by a rough tail. A shark had grabbed the stringer that was clipped to a D-ring on the bottom of my BC and was taking me for an underwater Nantucket Sleigh Ride. Fortunately, the D-ring ripped away from the BC and me and Mr. Grey Suit parted company.

Always clip to the pistol grip of my gun, never to my person. The shark can have the gun if he just has to have it. I know it's a pain but may try a bag this year.
  • FamilyfisherFamilyfisher Posts: 2,744 Captain
    amada8 wrote: »

How does he putt? Just like he drives....:rotflmao
    Proverbs 13:3