Home General Freshwater Fishing

BACH INTO BASS FISHIN'

After a few trips with guide Hugh Crumpler, I realized that I missed the bass fishing more than I thought I would. I recently sold my 21ft Sea Pro and am now in the market for a good, new or lightly used, aluminum bass boat. Hope to become a regular poster on the freshwater forum, I'm hangin' up my saltwater fishing for now.

I have a boat to use for now... My buddy from Maryland brought down his 19ft Tracker Sport Jet in November, and left it here for the winter, so he could get his car in the garage, and out of the snow. BOY... We are BOTH real happy that he did. Now... Is THAT a buddy, or is THAT a buddy?

I'm looking at the Tracker line, mostly due to price, and am torn between the 20ft "Grizzly" and the Pro Team 190 TX? I can't find anyone who can tell me WHY a fully rigged 190 is $3,000 less than a comparably equipped "Grizzly"?????

So I'll keep looking until just before he comes back down in May, to take his boat home.

By the By... I will be at the Bass Pro Shops "Spring Classic" celebration and sale this weekend, doing the Seminar and Fishing advice thing. Not sure where in the store I will be set-up, but look around for a BIG guy in a red-white-and-blue promo shirt. Hope to meet some of you there!

PS: I boated two bass over 10lbs at the "Marsh" yesterday, and that brings my total for this year to 41 bass over 10. GOSH... I love Florida! GOTTA learn how to post photos too.:wink
GOD BLESS AND TIGHT LINES!

Replies

• Old FloridaOld Florida Posts: 176 Officer
    PS: I boated two bass over 10lbs at the "Marsh" yesterday, and that brings my total for this year to 41 bass over 10.

You're saying you have caught 41 bass over 10 pounds in the first two months of 2014?
    Excuse my skepticism. Maybe if you are electric shock fishing.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,506 Moderator
    You're saying you have caught 41 bass over 10 pounds in the first two months of 2014?
    Excuse my skepticism.

Maybe in the last 365 days ?
    "You'll get your weather"
  • FISHIN' GYPSYFISHIN' GYPSY Posts: 336 Officer
    Would you like to bet some BIG money? Say 10 or 15 thou? I have photos and witnesses. I fish a LOT!
    I had two yesterday and lost one more.
    Would you like to bet some BIG money? Say 10 or 15 thou? I have photos and witnesses. I fish a LOT!
    I had two yesterday and lost one more.

No bets. But , you have to expect someone to question the statement. That is a LOT of bass 10lb and over in 57 days.
    YES... It is a truly unbelievable number, and I can hardly blame anyone for being skeptical. It IS the truth though. I have been truly blessed by the good lord, with the ability to locate and catch fish, especially BIG fish. I have fished in almost every state in the US, many places in South America, Australia, SE Asia, and Canada. I had a day last year, when I caught 9 bass over 10# in ONE DAY. And my minister was with me! I also have earned over 350 local, state and national fishing awards; 2 Awards from In-Fisherman, and ten from Field and Stream magazines. I am a member of the National Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame, and hold 46 "World Records" and two "State Records". AND.... I NEVER lie.... I don't have to! :) And I don't know anywhere NEAR everything!
  • CATTLE MANCATTLE MAN Posts: 129 Officer
    I BELIEVE YA PARTNER, I live on lake Kissimmee and usually fish every evening I don't know how may big fish I've caught in the last month, but its been a lot. I've gotten 4 over ten pounds just recently
  • Old FloridaOld Florida Posts: 176 Officer
    YES... It is a truly unbelievable number, and I can hardly blame anyone for being skeptical. It IS the truth though. I have been truly blessed by the good lord, with the ability to locate and catch fish, especially BIG fish. I have fished in almost every state in the US, many places in South America, Australia, SE Asia, and Canada. I had a day last year, when I caught 9 bass over 10# in ONE DAY. And my minister was with me! I also have earned over 350 local, state and national fishing awards; 2 Awards from In-Fisherman, and ten from Field and Stream magazines. I am a member of the National Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame, and hold 46 "World Records" and two "State Records". AND.... I NEVER lie.... I don't have to! :) And I don't know anywhere NEAR everything!

How many push ups can you do?
    3... maybe 4 on a GOOD day! :)
    Heck of a resume . You need to send those pics ! I'll help with the posting.
  • Swamp GuideSwamp Guide Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    Hallelujah & Amen Gypsy Brother! Not sure what to say about your prowess, your awards & your modesty. 41 bass over 10 this year, huh??? I might have to come down to BPS this weekend just to bask in your aura, bear witness to your sermon (I mean seminar) and take notes of all your fishing advice. And Jeez, I am DARN sure gonna' stop posting some of the measly fish I been catchin' and go back to flats fishin' where I belong. :hail
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hallelujah & Amen Gypsy Brother! Not sure what to say about your prowess, your awards & your modesty. 41 bass over 10 this year, huh??? I might have to come down to BPS this weekend just to bask in your aura, bear witness to your sermon (I mean seminar) and take notes of all your fishing advice. And Jeez, I am DARN sure gonna' stop posting some of the measly fish I been catchin' and go back to flats fishin' where I belong. :hail

I'll be there Friday and Saturday. Sunday is the "Lord's Day" and I don't work, fish or party on Sunday. But I'll be happy to share any knowledge, information or advice I have with you. I don't normally "tout" my accomplishments, very few people who know me personally, know of my fishing "Awards", and I only listed some of them to reinforce the claims I had made, and to help members understand who I am, and what I do. NOT bragging! I don't have to do that either! God Bless you and yours'.
  • BackyardAnglerBackyardAngler Posts: 356 Deckhand
    Well Gypsy, since you have all those pics and proof you are gonna need to get em posted up here PDQ. Fish pics are good.
    Fish pics are good.

^^ this
  • JettyparkJettypark Posts: 1,972 Captain
    Not putting anyone down... but if you come to a forum and state something.. that most of us only dream of.. then you also can't blame
    anyone for saying something against it and the only way to clear this up... like everybody has said...
    Post the pictures... and that's it... game over...

You also have to remember that most of us that been around forums for awhile have heard it all...
    50lb snook/ 200lb tarpons caught on 10lb mono :banghead and once we call these people out...

To prove it... well most of them Never ever come back...and again this is something that even YOU would
    ask of somebody... :wink
    aa13.gif"A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"
  • ER Doc 7ER Doc 7 Posts: 153 Officer
    I just want 1 bass over 10. Is that too much to ask?:shrug
    ER Doc 7 wrote: »
    I just want 1 bass over 10. Is that too much to ask?:shrug

No , it is not. :cool:
    My bass club has weighed 2 over 8lb so far this year..
  • FernParkKayakerFernParkKayaker Posts: 39 Deckhand
    fishing gypsy...sorry buddy, but I don't believe you. What type of business are you in that allows you to fish all over the world!? Send me a PM and then I will send you my email, so I can see all these 41 bass at 10lbs or bigger. Okay? are you the guy who fishes Rodman? I see a lot of his pics on the FWC trophy catch program....you are registering these fish with FWC, right?
    btw, I'm happy you're a religious guy as well, but isn't there a rule on this forum/website that forbids certain talk(politics, religion,etc)?? not saying I'm religious or not. I just don't think god has anything to do with fishing success. This is all I will say regarding this.
    LOL.... You pull out the "Religion Card" on him... Listen I don't care about his claims about the catches... its pretty easy to prove..
    like I said before plenty of guys come on here with claims of feats most of us could only dream of...

Some have proven it to be a fact... others just go away and let it die.... but as far as saying "Lord" or any other religious word, that's
    up to the person... AS long as he isn't preaching...then "WE" as a forum shouldn't have a problem with it..
    You might not believe God help him... but again that's up to him...

I thank God I didn't slip off the bridge the other nite and break something.... and I post that little reference into
    a Topic/reply... then YOU my friend shouldn't have a problem with it...

And don't forget a forum is just like anything else.....Don't like what you are reading or seeing.... Move on
    to something else...

I for one hopes he post just a few pictures..... Maybe I'll blame Obama the next time all the little bass
    are the only ones hitting... :blowkiss
    I was able to verify 1(one) World Record for the ole' Gypsy. According to the IGFA, On August 10, 1982, W. Whitehead caught an 8lb 12oz LM Bass on 8lb line class in Greensville County Virginia. I am unable to find any other confirmation of his claims but I have been trying. :devil

*Also, The Gypsy (Will Whitehead) has not submitted any entries to the FWC Trophycatch Program. :huh
    (41 bass over 10 lbs w/photo of weight on scale would be considered "Trophy Club" catches worth $150 each in BPS, **** & Rapala gift cards. That's over 6K plus many other perks) :cookoo
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    like I said.... it's doesn't matter what you claim... but you better be able to back it up when you are in a room of "Real" fishermen
    I wish that he really did it... but even a handful of 10lb bass in just one season is a feat in itself... hell fishing guides that are out there
    24/7 don't even do it....

I only claim weight on a fish when I lost him.... then I can say I lost a 30lb largemouth bass or 60lb snook... LOL... and **** it I know
    Obamacare has something to do with it.... lol...
    okay, jettypark....everyone has their opinions, you don't agree with mine, that's fine...I feel that talking about fishing and leaving everything else out is what this message board should be about...

Looks like this guy has left the building. Or maybe he flew to Costa Rica and was the guy who caught the ALBINO Sailfish(saw article on yahoo news today)!! :))) LOL!!! what a joke.
  • dnelsondnelson Posts: 235 Deckhand
    Not sure if there is any relation to the above name - but the person that died in a Stick marsh boating accident today had the same last name?

March 13 2014, 01:50 PM EDT

1 seriously injured when boat capsizes near Sebastian
    By Scott T. Smith / CBS12 News
    SEBASTIAN, Fla. -- One person died after a bass boat capsized in choppy waters Thursday morning near a boat ramp in Stick Marsh at the St. John's Water Management Area.

The Indian River County Sheriff's Office reports the incident happened at about 9 a.m.

Lenny Salberg with Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission reports three people were involved with the capsized boat, one of them suffered a serious injury and died later at a hospital.

The victim has been identified as Francis Whitehead, 64, of Sebastian. The other boaters also were from Sebastian.
    Yeah, you are right dnelson. This is truly tragic! Apparently "Will" Whitehead died at the Stick Marsh today. No question he had to be a great, experienced & knowledgeable fisherman. Even if half of his claims were true he must have been a hard-core, long time, serious angler. The "Gypsy" was also probably a good guy...and I feel like an AS_HOLE for doubting him or going so far as to try to check him out.

RIP Gypsy and I wish the best for your family.

FELLSMERE, Fla. - Investigators with Florida Fish and Wildlife have identified the boater who died after his boat nearly capsized in Stick Marsh in Fellsmere Thursday morning as 64-year-old Francis Whitehead.

Friends call him Will, and say he was on the boat Thursday morning with a good friend and his friend’s son.

One friend, Larry Maschhoff says he was on his way to go fishing with Whitehead after he was done with his two friends when he got an unexpected phone call.

“We were just a short distance from here when his wife called us and said, she was barely able to tell us, but told us, so we just turned right around and went to her house,” Maschhoff said.

Investigators say the three men went out into Stick Marsh around 7 a.m. Conditions were windy and the water was choppy. Some waves may have been two to three feet high. Officials say Whitehead was driving his Bass tracker boat, which sits low to the water.

Investigators say the three men tried turning back when the water got too rough, and waves started filling the boat with water. They say Whitehead ultimately aborted the boat, while the two others stayed on long enough to make it to the shore safely.

Officials say the two men waited for Whitehead’s body to drift close to the shore so they could reach him and begin CPR.

"They couldn't get back out to him because of the wind and wave conditions out there," said FWC Investigator, Justin Morgan.

Officials say they also had trouble calling 911 because of poor cell service.

Fire Rescue says Whitehead was pronounced dead at the hospital. The two other men were hypothermic but refused treatment at the scene.

Maschhoff find some comfort in knowing Whitehead was doing what he loved.

“He just loved to fish. At least once a week he had to be on the water or else he wouldn’t be satisfied,” Maschhoff said.

Maschhoff says Whitehead also holds fishing records in the Northeast.

Fishermen like James Berry say this serves as a reminder to be cautious on windy days.

“You’re better safe than sorry on a day like today… This time of year, this is kind of a heavier wind than I’ve ever run into,” Berry said.

FWC will be looking into why Whitehead abandoned the boat.

They say they will also be looking into whether he may have suffered from a medical condition, and if the boat had any other mechanical issues that would have made it harder for it to return to the shore.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If that's the OP...Well ****... RIP Gypsy and hopefully you are doing what you love
    God bless the families.... sad to hear of anyone passing.... but when happens during a fishing trip.. just goes to show us
    that chit can happen at any time... hug your loved ones because you just never know...

And as far as calling him out about his claim... Nobody
    should feel like crap... things happen and I bet he wouldn't
    hold it against us....

Again life is short... and at times to short to spend it on a
    forum going back and forth with each other...
  • avmechavmech Jupiter, FLPosts: 1,382 Officer
    Thread in the SE section says that the news showed his truck, had Fishin Gypsy on the door and the name Will...................too much of a coincidence.

RIP :angel
    Member #10822
  • GotBass?GotBass? Posts: 202 Deckhand
    Wow, what a tragic story. R.I.P fishing Gypsy..:angel
    Wow is all I can say. :angel
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,246 AG
    Very sad...
    I had met Will and he was a heck of a nice guy.

I also don't doubt this success...and this is not meant as a slam to him(or anyone else)....but catching large bass on $20 a dz large wild shiners in the stick marsh is about as difficult as tossing a bait out in "known" areas and waiting..... it is as far from a "hat trick" as you can get.

I had heard about this on thursday...but the name "Frank" didn't click...

RIP " Gypsy" ....... :USA
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • BackyardAnglerBackyardAngler Posts: 356 Deckhand
    Wow! Rest easy Gypsy.