Back Country Slam 2/25

BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,727 Captain
Headed out today with Windsplitter (Duane) around 10:00 AM. First stop for reds and first cast I put a 20 inch trout in the boat. Next cast the same but it gets off at the boat. No biggie, as we were to find out later, as the big trout were all we could catch. Smallest trout was 19 and the bigger ones ran up to 23 inches. Lost count of how many we caught.

Put a couple reds in the boat, none real big, so didn't take a picture. I regretted that later.

Still looking for reds and trying to avoid the trout we pulled up on a point and a 33 inch snook hits my lure. After a long fight on trout and red fish gear I got it in the boat. The area we fish has some nice snook but they aren't easy to catch until it warms up a bit. Least they are easy for Duane to catch then. :)

Not having a picture of a red we go hunting for them again. More big trout and ladyfish are caught, then I lose two nice reds, and I'm wondering if we'll have a picture. I finally managed another rat red so I snap a picture of it.

Excellent day on the water, wind picked up a bit and we were late for the tide bite, but still a great day on the Big Bend back country. All fish were released as both of us have fish in the freezer to use up.

Fish were caught on an assortment of soft jerbaits and grubs. We are trying out different manufacturer's lures and it didn't seem to make much difference. Fishing in this shallow of water the key is not to have the bait drop and get hung up on the oyster bars and then put it in front of the fish.

Bill
"And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."

Replies

• Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,955 Captain
    You guys are gonna make me have to come down there to whip on some of them fine fish you've got. Looks like real primo water and I'm searching for a place to put the skiff in to avoid the Homosassa crowds :)
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,727 Captain
    Jim311 wrote: »
    You guys are gonna make me have to come down there to whip on some of them fine fish you've got. Looks like real primo water and I'm searching for a place to put the skiff in to avoid the Homosassa crowds :)

I know we tried to get together once Jim but let's make it a date in the near future.

Bring your Gheenoe or you, I, and Duane can go in my skiff. Or Duane's skiff.

A word of warning...you'll need more than a couple trips to avoid damage. :rotflmao

Bill
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,955 Captain
    Billy wrote: »
    I know we tried to get together once Jim but let's make it a date in the near future.

A word of warning...you'll need more than a couple trips to avoid damage. :rotflmao

Bill

In April I'm going to be prowling your waters for sure, and I will try to look you guys up. I've got a place in Hudson I'm staying at a few days, and then I'll be fishing my way north.
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 2,021 Captain
    Man, that's a little red, but that snook is something else!! Nice job Dynamic Duo.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,946 Admiral
    Ah the days of great fishing, WTG brother Billy on the slammer anim_19.gif
  • huntentailshuntentails Posts: 1,697 Captain
    Nice Fish You Two
    way to get in done
    in the shallow stuff
    :beer
    58c3c16f-8a45-4d30-b16f-bc3107cf4657_zpsplzwx9u1.jpg0af8c5e9-faa1-4c9d-81d3-c711ee6ce6e3_zpsojsft7fc.jpg
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Congrats on the slam....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • Triple Threat 33TTriple Threat 33T Port CanaveralPosts: 18,669 Admin
    Nice when the fish aren't being too picky on what you're throwing at um. Tight work of the slam. Beautiful Snook! :beer
    "Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen."
    Ruff One wrote: »
    Man, that's a little red, but that snook is something else!! Nice job Dynamic Duo.

Wish I had taken a picture of the reds caught earlier as they were a little bit bigger. :) Duane has the area nailed down, I've been fishing the area a couple years now, and he still gets me lost.

Bill
  • davidk5316davidk5316 Posts: 417 Officer
    Nice slam!!! That snook is awesome. Another couple days and he could go home with you. Great job...........
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,843 Captain
    Billy wrote: »

Bill

Please Sir>>I wanna go too!!! Please???? Oh> Awesome Slamarino Gize!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • Scott CrownScott Crown Posts: 661 Officer
    Man that's a nice snook. Sweet day. If it makes you feel any better I quit taking pics of slot reds due to having too many pics of them and all of them starting to look the same. I would have had to of caught an over slot red to get slam pics also.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,132 Moderator
    Cool ! Looks like the Chaz fish are chewin'.
    "You'll get your weather"
    I would have had to of caught an over slot red to get slam pics also.

I would have too but I couldn't get it done yesterday. I did have one in the slot but no pictures and lost two with one probably over the slot.

I'm happy to get the snook in the boat from the back country and it wasn't an easy fight on my tackle. Duane catches them at times, he is a better fisherman than me (but not by much :)), but they have been evading me.

And hey Pete...I'll be in touch.

Bill
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,578 Captain
    Sounds like a lot of trouble getting away from those oversize trout.

That's my kind of problem.
  • WindsplitterWindsplitter Posts: 617 Officer
    That big Snook was headed for Mexico once she figured out she was hooked. You did a great job keeping her out of the rocks. Thanks for the kind words Billy, but I do better in warm water
    Should be a Great spring this year :fishing
  • HammerheadTedHammerheadTed Posts: 1,256 Officer
    Awesome Snook and great job on the Slam, especially with early spring conditions! I've been in that picture situation before.
  • zmgsvtzmgsvt Posts: 302 Deckhand
    WTG Mr. Bill, looks like it was a great day!
    zmgsvt wrote: »
    WTG Mr. Bill, looks like it was a great day!

Hey...you're still around. :) We might have to go fishing again if you're up to it.

Bill
  • zmgsvtzmgsvt Posts: 302 Deckhand
    Haha yes sir, we'll make it happen again this year for sure!
  • ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,536 Captain
    You da man. Tight work on the slam.
  • restlessnativerestlessnative Posts: 2,176 Captain
    Awesome job. We're you using them rigged weedless and/or weightless?
    We're you using them rigged weedless and/or weightless?

I cast a small weight in the middle of the hook, from a jig mold, it's to hold the lure and provide a small amount of weight. The hook is exposed. The lure sinks slowly giving me time to jerk it before it gets hung up. Seems to be working great since I started doing this.

Bill
  • restlessnativerestlessnative Posts: 2,176 Captain
    Thanks! I sometimes think I have to work the jig too fast to avoid getting hung up on the rocks. Am going to start experimenting with some different set ups, very similar to what you described. Again great job on the slam and thanks for the info.
    Thanks! I sometimes think I have to work the jig too fast to avoid getting hung up on the rocks. Am going to start experimenting with some different set ups, very similar to what you described. Again great job on the slam and thanks for the info.

Here's a picture of the hook setup.

You can use any kind of plastic or Gulp jerk baits that you prefer.

Bill
    jig.jpg 98.5K