Trout and pompano again!

Hit the flats after school for a bit today, and did really good. I caught 2 keeper sized trout on fly and a keeper pompano on fly. My buddy was on fire. He caught 4 trout, going 18" 19" "22" and a whopper at 25". He also got a 17" pompano. All of his fish were caught on a mirro dine. The fly i was using was a greenback looking streamer.

Most of the fish we got were sitting in patchy grass in about 2 feet of water. I noticed that the water has warmed up quite a bit as well.

Replies

• RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    You've got the pomps dialed in. Strong work, young Jedi.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,201 Captain
    Nice work. That's a gator you got there.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
  • Snookslayer772Snookslayer772 Posts: 170 Officer
    nice report! Gonna put it up on the "what's biting now" for inshore on the front page for you guys. keep slayin em
  • aaronaaron Posts: 79 Deckhand
  • closcabcloscab Posts: 122 Officer
    Nice fish guys
  • sk018sk018 Posts: 2,958 Captain
    Nice work Aaron. Pompano is one of my favorite eating fish. If you want a great recipe send me a pm.
    I am not trying to be a **** at all here just a thought.
    I grew up on the bay just as you do, my friends and I would hit the flats after school, at night etc.
    I have since learned there is really no reason to keep those big breeder trout. Especially, when you already have a pile of fish, and pompano is a lot better anyway. Those over 20 inches are big females. I would kindly recommend letting them make some more trout for the future.
    Yeah I know what you're saying, and I agree. I always have family practically begging for fresh fish so every once in a while I try to fill the cooler. But in the future I'll make suee to let those big girls go.
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    I don't do much inshore fishing, but in the past I have eaten the larger trout once or twice. In my opinion, the smaller trout are significantly better eating as compared to the larger trout. The larger ones just aren't that great on the table. These days, the only trout I would keep are the occasional smaller keeper sized fish- otherwise its all catch and release. If I had the option, I would trade you a dozen trout or red grouper for 1 or 2 pompano any day!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sk018sk018 Posts: 2,958 Captain
    aaron wrote: »
    Yeah I know what you're saying, and I agree. I always have family practically begging for fresh fish so every once in a while I try to fill the cooler. But in the future I'll make suee to let those big girls go.

Thanks for the response. I did not want to come off like a ****, and I know sometimes on this forum a comment like mine could start an argument. When I was your age (not too long ago im 27) I would keep those big trout too. I have since learned not to, like RMD mentioned they don't eat that well anyway.
    I live out of state and coming down this weekend to fish, you have me convinced to spend a day targeting pompano!
    Check ur PM
  • PmckhPmckh Posts: 199 Officer
    Good catch and even better to hear you'll release the breeders in the future. It doesn't matter what the species is, the smaller fish always eat best. Aaron I know what you mean about having family asking for the fresh fish but I personally always try to take the minimal amount of fish since I'm more interested in catching them compared to eating them while it's the opposite for some of my family members
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • captjoemorinIIIcaptjoemorinIII Posts: 146 Officer
    Nice job guys,,Thanks for the report
  • PmckhPmckh Posts: 199 Officer
    Today I was putting around with visiting family to head out for lunch and I decided to make a quick stop at that same spot. I pulled a 25" trout right away and then headed to lunch. I saw a few pompano on sand holes
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I was there for a while yesterday and the pompano were stacked on the flat near the ski ramp. I missed a few but for the most part they wouldn't eat. I got a few pompano on ledge on the ski ramp side and a few trout on the opposite side.

Ran up to buttonwood early, hoping for some reds, and all I got was one pompano, so i headed back to city island.

Checked some traps off the beach and saw one tripletail out of about 200 traps i checked and he wouldn't eat. Headed in through big pass and stopped on the big sandbar looking for pompano there, and I found a cobia instead. I chased him down and tried to get him to eat a freelined hand pick, but he was too fast. Got about 4 throws to him but he scooted away every time.
    If anybody knows the best way too approach a cobia like that, please say so, because I haven't the slightest clue.
  • former bluefishinnyformer bluefishinny Posts: 1,490 Officer
    Nice report. Reds are there. Shallow. In my experiences, this time of year, If I am catching pompano, than I am fishing too deep for reds. Just my experience. Oh, this was Saturday in Sarasota bay - not Button, but veeeery close