Home Fly Fishing

2 piece rod stuck together

NSByakNSByak Posts: 424 Officer
Not sure what I did, I'm usually pretty good about caring for my gear but I cannot get this 2 piece TFO apart for the life of me. Any tips I can try w/o damaging the rod?

Replies

• redheadredhead Posts: 120 Officer
    Break it and send it back under warranty
  • NSByakNSByak Posts: 424 Officer
    Its my only rod....definitely not an option.

Actually, the four handed cross grip with the wife got it apart easily after several months of trying by myself. Works very well actually. Thanks youtube!
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,727 Captain
    Next time you are in this fix and by yourself. Stand with your feet about shoulders width apart. Hold the rod behind your back, palms facing rearward and thumbs pointing towards each other. Twist and pull the rod and it will probably come right undone for you.

Old trick shown to me when I was a little boy. Most people can pull much harder behind the back, than they can with the rod out in front of them.
  • Carl BlackledgeCarl Blackledge Posts: 674 Officer
    Next time you are in this fix and by yourself. Stand with your feet about shoulders width apart. Hold the rod behind your back, palms facing rearward and thumbs pointing towards each other. Twist and pull the rod and it will probably come right undone for you.

Old trick shown to me when I was a little boy. Most people can pull much harder behind the back, than they can with the rod out in front of them.

TRy running cold water on it for a few mins. then do what you said, put it behind your back and pull, nothing too it.

Carl
    Yeah, I saw that tip after doing a little searching (should have done that before posting here but oh well...maybe someone else in need will see this thread). Also read about using the knees and arms trick. I'll try those next time to see how they work out.
  • Bimini15Bimini15 Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    Apply cold to the male side and heat to the female side of the connection.
    Ice and a cloth soaked in hot water will do.
    Works for me.
    B15
  • E-typeE-type Posts: 246 Officer
    Won't hurt to lubricate the male part with hard wax like from a plumber's candle and periodically take it apart. At times I've used all the above techniques. Once I fell and the butt hit a rock jamming the sections together. Couldn't get it apart until winter. Left it out on 20 degree below zero night in Vermont and poured boiling water over the female end in the morning. That worked. In Florida you'd be out of luck though :rotflmao
  • clampmanclampman Posts: 130 Deckhand
    Frozen blackeyed peas and hands behind the knees (peas on the male section only).
  • Bimini15Bimini15 Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    E-type wrote: »
    That worked. In Florida you'd be out of luck though :rotflmao

Yes, you would be out one rod in the morning in Florida... :-)

B15
  • sbt59sbt59 Posts: 24 Deckhand
    Go to Publix and get some rubber shelf lining - google 'Grip It Shelf and Drawer Liner' to give you an idea of what you need. Cut a few squares off and use them to grip the rod. The stuff gives you enough of a secure grip that you rarely have to do the behind the knees trick.
  • E-typeE-type Posts: 246 Officer
    clampman wrote: »
    Frozen blackeyed peas and hands behind the knees (peas on the male section only).

I'm not putting any frozen peas on my male section!:rotflmao
  • TgrassTgrass Posts: 204 Deckhand
    I have used a couple of the rubber lid grippers to get a better grip and have had some success. It may require two people, one on each end. I will say this if you are successful in getting it apart, I would wax it before putting it back together or at least make sure the guides are lined up. Been there and done that.

I think what happens is the inside of the female end wears away and the graphite fibers grip like grim death. If I got apart I would send it back with a check, I am sure they will replace it. I think TFO may be $35 now but not sure.

Good luck.
  • chalmerspchalmersp Posts: 267 Deckhand
    Sorry if this thread ended a while back, but I figure I could still throw in my two cents!! I always keep two rubber bands in my fly box, so that if my rod is stuck together I can wrap the rubber bands around the rod sections and get some extra grip that way! It has yet to fail me... Also, rub your finger on your nose where your glasses sit, and use that oil as lubrication for the ferrules!
    Best of luck
  • Carl BlackledgeCarl Blackledge Posts: 674 Officer
    NSByak wrote: »
    Not sure what I did, I'm usually pretty good about caring for my gear but I cannot get this 2 piece TFO apart for the life of me. Any tips I can try w/o damaging the rod?

Rods usually stick together for a variety of reasons, It seems the biggest reason is the rods are in the very hot sun all day, and sometimes for 3-4 weeks at a time. The air inside that rod heats up, then the rod swells and wants to stick. The best cure for this I have found is to cool the rod down with whatever means necessary, cold shower-ice maybe leave the rod in the air conditioned room all day. The next time you assemble that same rod, use a little ear wax on the joints. This is what works for me, hope it helps you.

Carl
    Happened again the other day, even after "greasing it" with some nose grease (man that sounds pretty gross). Anyway, was able to get it apart by myself this time with the hands/knees trick, though I suspect it wasn't nearly as suck as it was last time.

Do you guys break the rods apart after every use? I rinse and clean line/reel but it stays in the boat after that.