dock fishing in PCB/PSJ/MB

Hey guys this is my first post and have been bitten by the inshore bug ever since my first couple of wading trips. I have the opportunity this summer to stay on a small house boat (not mine unfortunately) with the wife and as I understand there are several docks around and might run into some snook. I have some gear...a catalyst 30ptsb with 20lb super slick and a catalyst 20ptsb with 15lb super slick. Rods are a calico jack 7m for the 30 and a calico jack 7ml for the 20. Is this sufficient or should I be looking at a slightly stoughter rod/reel combo for around the docks. I'm familiar with bass fishing and using heavier tackle to keep fish from wrapping up around posts etc. I had been looking at shimano symetre FL series but would lose power in drag department. My reels are great but dont care forr getting dunked lol. As far as a rod I was looking at the. Crowder tidelines at **** and a few others. Input from experienced dock fishermen would be of good help. Did a search and mostly only found info on bait selection which I thankfully have covered already. Thanks again!

Replies

• reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Snook ??? Not around here...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,177 Admiral
    Where is this house boat?
  • FlatsTherapyFlatsTherapy Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    I might have been misinformed about about there being snook but I thought they were native to the panhandle area as well. So maybe I should do more research about what species I will possibly run into. As far as where the boat is I only know its in PCB. I dont know if the term house boat is correct, thats just what I call it since it has a bed and small kitchen etc. I haven't seen or been on it yet. Anywho will the tackle I'm coming with be fine? Thanks
  • RedhunterRedhunter Posts: 435 Deckhand
    Flats, it really sounds like somebody fed you a line and you bit. I only wish snook were around here. I really love the fight they give and talk about good eats. NO NO No snook in PCB. The closest place for that might be Crystal river and occasionally Keaton Beach. As far as dock fishing, I think you would do better on the flats in west bay or east bay. If you can drive the houseboat, then by all means go to PSJ through the intercostal. The flat on the S end of the bay have great fishing. I hope you will have a smaller boat to fish from and not the house boat. We do have areas of real skinny water and would not want you to screw up the boat or our beautiful fishing areas by grounding the boat.
  • Red FishRed Fish Posts: 1,163 Officer
    Your tackle will be fine for dock fishing around here. Right now, the docks are holding few fish but they are holding quality fish. If you are he'll bent on fishing dock, take a look at a chart and find your deeper docks near moving water. I would fish live bait. There are quite a few black drum hanging around right now. Like everyone else mentioned, there are no snook here.
    If it were me, I would likely spend my time in the pass or around the steam plant.
    Genesis 27:3 - Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,177 Admiral
    Sounds like your tackle will more than efficient!. Lures on the other hand will depend on where you're at. If I see a house boat in the pass I'll come say hi!

Don't forget to take pics!
  • FlatsTherapyFlatsTherapy Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Wow thanks so much for the feedback! Definitely disappointed about not getting a shot at snook but oh well. The boat will not be driven unfortunately, its being offered to save money on hotel expenses. I was hoping to catch something around the marina there and figured there would be docks nearby. Any fish on the end of the line will be fine though right? I'll try not to be a jerk and actually take the advice I'm being offered! Thanks again