12 GA reloading press

Anyone have one they want to get rid of for a reasonable price. Think I'm going to start looking at reloading shotgun shells too.

Replies

• BodineBodine Posts: 2,888 Captain
    Used to have a mec jr in all gauges, with auto primer feed, you can load as fast as a progressive.
    F the feds
  • omegafooomegafoo Posts: 3,125 Captain
    Bodine wrote: »
    Used to have a mec jr in all gauges, with auto primer feed, you can load as fast as a progressive.

Used to have doesn't help me :kick :grin

I was thinking about MEC if I can get my hands on one. The MEC Jr. would probably be what I'd pick up for a new one if I have to go that route.
  • ducknfishducknfish Posts: 3,821 Officer
    LMAO! After your comment about wanting to shoot the #9s on Brad's thread I was wondering how long it would take for you to get project fever. :rotflmao
  • hooknredshooknreds Posts: 2,461 Captain
    Look on Tallahassee Gun Forum foo.
    ducknfish wrote: »
    LMAO! After your comment about wanting to shoot the #9s on Brad's thread I was wondering how long it would take for you to get project fever. :rotflmao

Ive been kicking this around for a couple years but never really moved forward with it. I'm probably not going to load the TSS, at least not at first. Last I saw it was $50/lb so it might be higher by now. I was thinking about the itx but I've seen some reports that the itx doesn't actually measure up to it's reported density. NICE shot does appear to and is as dense as lead, so that's an option as a steel substitute for ducks (for hopefully our trip this winter) and or hevi-shot. But certainly am going to do something. Is it needed, maybe not, but is something that I want to do. Kind of like I think shooting a superior shot to lead is worth the money when turkey hunting, or that I shot heavy metal when down south shooting ducks as opposed to plain old steel shot.

There's also some satisfaction for me to be had in shooting game with rounds that I've loaded as a new dimension.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • bbbbbb Posts: 975 Officer
    I have both a 12 and 20. I'll check the brand when it quits raining. I know you have to move the shell from station to station.

Reloaded some ammo on it about 10 years ago but lost interest as I wasn't making anything I couldn't buy at Walmart. And kids took away from shop time.

If you want to "borrow" it for a few years you can.
    Looks like both are MEC 600 JR's. I think they were both working when put up.
    u9ube6a7.jpg
    mudygupy.jpg
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 12,585 AG
    bbb always in for the save! You're a good man bro. There ya go 'foo. Test'm out and see if you like it. If not return them free of charge :hail
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
    Thanks Dale! IF you don't mind bringing them to the office tomorrow I'm putting a reminder to swing by and pick up the buckets and that tomorrow too.
    It's in the truck.
  • dewyafishdewyafish Posts: 4,975 Captain
    I used to reload 12,20,28, and .410.

You can really save some dough reloading 28 and .410, but when lead prices jumped you can buy 12's without feeling like you wasted money.

How much is one thousand 209 primers now???
    There's nothing more enjoyable than suprise morning sex...
    Unless you happen to be in jail at the time.
    Quick look says 1K primers are $26.91/box - so $0.02691 each

I'll be somewhere in the $1-$1.50 savings per shell. Is it much, not really. Do I shoot enough for it, probably not. Is there some satisfaction about shooting your own stuff - yep! :) I will say that it won't hurt my feelings as much to roll some 12ga and throw a couple boxes in the truck to take to LDs camp in GA for a little skeet fun
  • dewyafishdewyafish Posts: 4,975 Captain
    If you shoot a lot it's well worth it.
    There's nothing more enjoyable than suprise morning sex...
    Unless you happen to be in jail at the time.
  • BodineBodine Posts: 2,888 Captain
    omegafoo wrote: »
    Quick look says 1K primers are $26.91/box - so $0.02691 each

I'll be somewhere in the $1-$1.50 savings per shell.

Huh? You mean per box?
    It was nice to create the loads you wanted for the occasion.
    I used to shoot #11's for opening day doves, loved # 5 lead for ringers, 9's for skeet birds etc.
    F the feds
    omegafoo wrote:
    Quick look says 1K primers are $26.91/box
    Bodine wrote: »
    Huh? You mean per box?

Yeah, $26.91 per box of 1000 primers. I'd suspect they've went up a bit since you've last loaded (especially since you said lead #5s for ringers).

Edit: You might not have known this but...

Primers are considered Hazmat so if you order them online - double the cost per primer - $28.50 Hazmat shipping on powders and primer up to 32lbs of powder or 70 lbs hazmat total.