Okuma repairs

Some of you might have seen my other thread requesting suggestions for reel repair locations: http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?142288-Miami-reel-repair-recommendations

But then I found out that Okuma doesn't have any certified service centers in South Florida (they are based in California). So I decided to contact their service department by email: [email protected]

It took an email and a reminder email to get their attention, but they did respond. When they did, we got the RMA process under way fairly fast and I shipped the reel to them so it could be worked on. My reel had seized up due to saltwater submersion and they tell me only one bearing actually had to be replaced. Even better, its been fixed under warranty and is being shipped back now.

Time from initial communication: 3 weeks
Actual turnaround time since RMA issued: 2 weeks
Total cost: about $16 (customer pays to ship reel to them and for return shipping, which was like $8 each way for me)

I should get the reel by next Tuesday and I'll respool and give more impressions then.
Hobie Kayak angler for life!

Replies

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,363 Captain
    I won't buy reels that I can't easily get parts for, period.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,333 Moderator
    lemaymiami wrote: »
    I won't buy reels that I can't easily get parts for, period.
    I am beginning to get the same feeling Bob. I actually bought a Penn to replace this Okuma reel. The Okuma will be downgraded to backup duty or guest tackle.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,967 Moderator
    I have a Okuma that had a problem out of the box with the bail roller. Shipped back once and had parts shipped once.
    Last time no charge and sent me a box full of salmon spoons ? I guess that's what they were.
    I still use it. Occasionally .
    "You'll get your weather"
    I got the reel back yesterday. My only negative observation is that one of the screws was blatantly loose. Other than that the reel feels ok, and I'm respooling it now for backup live-bait duty. I think I've reaffirmed my preference for Penn and Shimano reels now.
  • ameliagatorameliagator Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    Re: your preference for Shimano reels-they certainly function well but after sending my stradic 4000 both to California and locally via Strike Zone--the answer is Shimano does not have the bailer for my approximately 10-15 year old reel--this is a mainstream reel that is still being sold today. Shimano simply does not service what it sells for the life of the reel. Not my favorite company--ugh.
    Re: your preference for Shimano reels-they certainly function well but after sending my stradic 4000 both to California and locally via Strike Zone--the answer is Shimano does not have the bailer for my approximately 10-15 year old reel--this is a mainstream reel that is still being sold today. Shimano simply does not service what it sells for the life of the reel. Not my favorite company--ugh.

haha, you're thinking like an angler, not as a business person. Shimano churns out new models every couple of years and when they do, support for the older stuff/parts dries up. As a business man, I could easily see them rationalize that in your case, you got plenty of value out of your reel over the decade and a half of ownership and you are a prime candidate to purchase a new reel from them.

Penn is slightly better at this, but its just a reality of having an old reel (no offense intended), all manufacturers will have this problem with older models. The Stradic has gone through updates over the years too, so although the name may not have changed, model numbers for parts surely must have, and maybe even materials/designs used for those parts.

I think fishing from a kayak has taught me not to invest too heavily in the reels because one day they will fall over board or I will have abused them to the point that they can no longer be repaired. I'm not rich or anything, just saying I don't expect anything to last forever.
    jcan-after reading your comment I'm just about getting giddy over shimano not having the replacement part I need. But seriously, good point about getting plenty of value out of my reel--just wish I had used it more. Also, I'm going to try and use jb weld to fill the area of my baler that my braid decided to eat into--hopefully that will do it.
    More info on Okuma. I emailed Okuma and they replied they would repair my reel and to call them for an authorization #. When I did, the representative said they did not work on reels with any debris (sand) and would offer me a "demo" reels for $22 as a replacement. I would also pay for the shipping both ways ~$15. So, that comes to about $37 for a reel I bought at $58 and seems reasonable. The odd thing was the repair guy knew the reel had some sand in it when he said he would fix it. Seems pretty much like my defunct and retired golf game--the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,344 Officer
    I bought an Okuma and it had a catch when the spool was fully extended so I sent it back, my $. They sent it back with a note telling the parts they replaced. It did the same thing when I received it back. I wrote customer service and they sent me a payed for label to send it back to them. It came back to me perfect the second time. I haven't used it much but am pleased with the performance.