Home Fly Fishing

Offshore Angler Gold Cup Series Fly Rods and Reels

MonomoyMonomoy Posts: 19 Greenhorn
I recently started working in the fly department at a brand new Bass Pro Shop in Hooksett, New Hampshire, (very successful grand opening was last night). I’ve been fly fishing for almost 30 yrs and have using Sage, Loomis and other good brand rods. The one nice perk is we get a healthy discount on Bass Pro items including Offshore Angler gear. I was looking at our Gold Cup series fly rods yesterday and was thinking about taking one with me to Islamorada next month to give it a try while Tarpon and Bone fishing. I was looking at the 9’, 10 wt., 4 pc. It didn’t feel too bad, it has fairly fast action and a tip flex which I prefer. I thought I’d post to see if others have any feedback on Gold Cup series fly rods? Same with Gold Cup series reels? We don’t have the reels in the store yet so I haven’t seen them first hand. I’m not thrilled with the rod warranty, but given what I can buy the rod for, I’m not too worried. I can put an extended warranty on it if I really like it.

Looking forward to get the hell away from all the snow and record cold up here in the northeast!

Replies

• LilJimLilJim Posts: 255 Deckhand
    I got the kingfisher in about the same way you did. My friend worked for BPS and I couldn't pass up his discount. I looked at the gold cups but couldn't afford it at the time (broke veteran in college). The reels are nice, not an able or anything like that but still nice. I know you get about 40% off the marked price on the BPS stuff, so I would say go for it.
  • Carl BlackledgeCarl Blackledge Posts: 674 Officer
    Monomoy wrote: »
    I recently started working in the fly department at a brand new Bass Pro Shop in Hooksett, New Hampshire, (very successful grand opening was last night). I’ve been fly fishing for almost 30 yrs and have using Sage, Loomis and other good brand rods. The one nice perk is we get a healthy discount on Bass Pro items including Offshore Angler gear. I was looking at our Gold Cup series fly rods yesterday and was thinking about taking one with me to Islamorada next month to give it a try while Tarpon and Bone fishing. I was looking at the 9’, 10 wt., 4 pc. It didn’t feel too bad, it has fairly fast action and a tip flex which I prefer. I thought I’d post to see if others have any feedback on Gold Cup series fly rods? Same with Gold Cup series reels? We don’t have the reels in the store yet so I haven’t seen them first hand. I’m not thrilled with the rod warranty, but given what I can buy the rod for, I’m not too worried. I can put an extended warranty on it if I really like it.

Looking forward to get the hell away from all the snow and record cold up here in the northeast!

Sir,

If somebody offered me a huge discount on a new rod, I would certainly get a new Loomis or Sage. The new Sage or Loomis would be money in the bank. Where as the Gold cup is No where, and also has no re-sale value at all. Why break into the bank and steal the pennies?

My 2 cents

Carl Blackledge
  • acesoveracesover Posts: 552 Officer
    Go for it, despite what ever Carl says as he doesn't know the discount policy at Bass Pro, I work at the fly shop at the Palm Bay Bass Pro.
    FYIWFG
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    I agree with Carl, if you can afford it. Less pricey might be TFO or the top of line St Croix. BPS used to be big into Orvis but I confess to not knowing much about their rods or reels these days. I have one of their bamboo rods, but other than that......
    You and I have already talked about the Gold Cup reels. Have you found out yet, what other options you'll have for reels? If so, post those.
    .......Rick
    acesover wrote: »
    Go for it, despite what ever Carl says as he doesn't know the discount policy at Bass Pro, I work at the fly shop at the Palm Bay Bass Pro.

Aces over,

Your correct I don't know what BPS employees discounts are. Now after that being said, typical fly shops on the west coast are 40% off for their employees, however you can also get key employee discounts from the rod manufactures that can be as high as 60 % off depending on the rod manufacture company. It's just a shame you have to work for almost minimum wage to get a job at BPS.

Carl

PS I though you had me on ignore? if not please do
    You are to much fun to ignore Carl... LOL
    And Bass Pro discounts differ from a regular fly shop for the employees.
    And as far as wages go, they pay me better than most jobs around here for a part time job, and they treat us very well. It's a great job for a retiree such as myself. Not sure what the wages are out where you are at, but as I said, they are pretty good for Florida.
    FYIWFG
    Aces,

I am glad you don't have me on ignore.

I think the fly shops out her pay around $10-12 per hour, plus all the benefits of working in a fly shop.

Except for my commercial fly tying, I have also been retired for the last 10 years. I have thought about working in the local fly shop, however I think having to answer the same stupid questions all day long, I think I would go nuts.

Carl
    Answering the same questions everyday kinda goes with the territory, it's not for everybody, but I enjoy talking to the people that come into the shop. I will be teaching fly tying classes and a basic casting class when we get things set up, the store just opened in December, so now that it has settled down, the classes will start soon, so I will be answering a lot of questions....
    The commercial tying isn't for me as I don't like to tie the same thing over and over again, but that's just me.
    FYIWFG
  • MonomoyMonomoy Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    Hi Rick,

We're still getting rods in on a daily basis. All the snow storms that last couple weeks have delayed our inventory from arriving. I was looking at the TFO rods we have in, but none of the 10wt. travel rods have shown up. We've had a few Sage come in as well. I'm waiting on the Loomis and St.Croix to check out. I have a month before my Key's trip so I'll see what comes in over the next few weeks.

We have a 9' 10wt, 4 pc, Gold Cup rod come in. It felt nice and light weight, had the tip flex which I prefer, however I didn't like how the rod tip was continually vibrating while false casting. I prefer a nice crisp hard stop on the rod tip with no oscillation.

Thanks for your feedback and assistance!
    Gary
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    Monomoy wrote: »
    Hi Rick,

We have a 9' 10wt, 4 pc, Gold Cup rod come in. It felt nice and light weight, had the tip flex which I prefer, however I didn't like how the rod tip was continually vibrating while false casting. I prefer a nice crisp hard stop on the rod tip with no oscillation.

Thanks for your feedback and assistance!
    Gary

OK.....It has been a long time, but Stu Apte designed the original Gold Cup rods and they had his signature on them. I remember thinking they were quite adequate, in terms of power and action. However, there is no way I could vouch for or detract from the quality of the blank or any other components. Do these rods still bear Stu's name? Other than that, it appears that BPS will be able to address your needs quite well.

I don't know if you already knew this or not, but when you finish your shooting forward cast, tighten (squeeze) your hand on the grip for a second and this will help dampen a rod tip and stop those oscillations.
    .......Rick
  • MonomoyMonomoy Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    I wasn't aware of that trick to dampen the oscillations...learn something new everyday! Thanks Rick!

My hypothesis on the tip oscillation is rod quality which breaks down to the blank, rod components and quality of assembly. I don't feel the oscillation on the higher end rods. However, I've also noticed oscillation on multi-piece rods if one of the ferrules are not tightly assembled.

I don't recall seeing Stu's name on the Gold Cup rods.

Gary