The new A5

124»

Replies

• omegafooomegafoo Posts: 3,125 Captain
    micci_man wrote: »
    You got me, I left that out on purpose LOL. As you know I don't know the difference in TSS,SST, KMA or TCC when it comes to turkey shot. I'm glad you cleared that up so a new hunter whouldn't read my post and choose to shoot a 410 with #9 lead vs the 12 ga 3.5's that 80% of turkey hunters seem use and talk about on the interwebs :machinegun

Dadgumit! See if there wasn't all of this fancy turkey shot and stuff we wouldn't be going back and forth :grin

Brad- I'm sorry for derailing your thread :beer

I give up... :Angry

quit spookin the birds and you dont have to shot them flyin

Tell the bird to walk within shooting distance next time and not wait for me in the middle of the road at 5 yards so we both have this "Oh Crap" moment together :banghead
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 12,585 AG
    It's all in good fun man. don't dislike me fot it :beer
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • line dancerline dancer Posts: 233 Deckhand
    omegafoo wrote: »
    I give up... :Angry

Tell the bird to walk within shooting distance next time and not wait for me in the middle of the road at 5 yards so we both have this "Oh Crap" moment together :banghead
    I was talkin to Tyler but I guess you felt guilty. And you are right Tyler you only spent a dollar to watch yours fly off were Justin spent 5 so lead is good for somthing
    It's all in good fun man. don't dislike me fot it :beer

No dislike. But talking with you about htl shot is as almost as bad as explaining what it is to the wife ;)
  • ducknfishducknfish Posts: 3,821 Officer
    I was talkin to Tyler but I guess you felt guilty. And you are right Tyler you only spent a dollar to watch yours fly off were Justin spent 5 so lead is good for somthing

Never shot one flyin but it's a good idea as I'm a far better instinct shooter with a shotgun. If I could get em to sit still like quail and shoot em on the rise we'd be on to somethin.

Justin...you've lost me with the tss and htl talk. I had never heard of either of those before this thread.

Other than just BS about loads I went and shot yesterday afternoon.
    Top barrel with turkey choke at 40 yards the #5 1&3/4 oz LongBeard held about a 20-25% better pattern than the win 1&7/8oz #6 that has been my standby. BUT both loads shot way high in this gun. I had to shoot 4" low to get the bottom 1/6 or 1/8 of the pattern on the POA.
    Bottom barrel with a modified @ 25yds shot dead on with both loads and the 5s outperformed the 6s again.
    Swapped the tubes for the next trip out so we'll see if having the turkey choke in the bottom and the mod in the top helps anything.

And for foo...gun does not kick nearly as bad as you lead me to believe. You are just soft :grin
    ducknfish wrote: »
    Justin...you've lost me with the tss and htl talk. I had never heard of either of those before this thread.

I'll give you TSS. HTL, on the other hand, you have heard of. We've had those discussions before. HTL - "Heavier than Lead" i.e. any shot with a density greater than lead e.g. Hevi-Shot, Magnum Blend, Federal Heavyweight, or Winchester XTended Range. I've just never referred to them at HTL on here
    And for foo...gun does not kick nearly as bad as you lead me to believe. You are just soft :grin

You're welcome to come pick up my "cheap" o/u and the box of 3" Federal Heavyweights to tell me how it compares. I'll have an ice pack for your shoulder when you return it :grin
  • ducknfishducknfish Posts: 3,821 Officer
    omegafoo wrote: »
    I'll give you TSS. HTL, on the other hand, you have heard of. We've had those discussions before. HTL - "Heavier than Lead" i.e. any shot with a density greater than lead e.g. Hevi-Shot, Magnum Blend, Federal Heavyweight, or Winchester XTended Range. I've just never referred to them at HTL on here

You're welcome to come pick up my "cheap" o/u and the box of 3" Federal Heavyweights to tell me how it compares. I'll have an ice pack for your shoulder when you return it :grin

Oh, I do remember the conversation(s)...just wasn't familliar with the acronym.

Now that I know what htl is I can say this: it isn't that the wife dosen't understand it. It is that she is an accountant and she doesn't understand why your shells cost 5x as much as mine but we kill the same number of turkeys almost every year. :Bike
    No you didn't!
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
    ducknfish wrote: »
    Oh, I do remember the conversation(s)...just wasn't familliar with the acronym.

Now that I know what htl is I can say this: it isn't that the wife dosen't understand it. It is that she is an accountant and she doesn't understand why your shells cost 5x as much as mine but we kill the same number of turkeys almost every year. :Bike

No, she just knows not to ask those questions :)
    One thing about it. We have alost 2k views on this thread.

BTW I'm going to have to talk to Sam!

You want her number? I'm pretty sure she'll agree that those shells are the least expensive part of any of my hunting (or things she spends money on). I bought 5 boxes of 5 in 2008. I still have a box or a little better left. I paid $20/box and had a $5 rebate on the 5. $15/box, $3/shell. So far those 25 rounds have last me 5 years. $75/5 years = $15/yr (and should go down b/c I should make it at least another year). I think that's less than most on here spend on beer or dip in a year.

So yeah - she's not going to bat an eye :wink
  • line dancerline dancer Posts: 233 Deckhand
    Guess i should have stated that I shoot a 20 guage and the benitfits of expensive loads do make more of a difference in the 20 guage world. That being said my 12 gets them as well.
124»