Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

The new A5

Replies

• ducknfishducknfish Posts: 3,821 Officer
    hooknreds wrote: »
    So you are hunting with an over/under? I like it, if I wouldn't have invested what I did in my built single shot I'd follow suit. My o/u's have silver receivers so I wouldn't feel confident staring down a bird with something shiny in my hands. .

Yes, I got tired of missing birds inside of 25 yards with my "turkey gun". I read an article a while back about somebody doing that and thought it was a wonderful excuse to buy a new to me gun. So I bought a used citori that has clean bores but blemishes on the wood and bluing. That way I won't feel bad when I cerakote it so it won't be so shiny. It will be taped up this year but it's gonna get the cerakote after turkey season. I'm hoping to put it on paper this week.
  • BodineBodine Posts: 3,019 Captain
    Before I got my muzzle loading shotgun, and when I feel lazy, I hunt em with a citori/nickle reciever.
    Has not spooked one yet.
    F the feds
  • omegafooomegafoo Posts: 3,127 Captain
    ducknfish wrote: »
    That is also a matter of opinion. I have one of those guns and it will never see the woods again nor will I ever have rifle sights on a shotgun again unless I am shooting slugs.

With a turkey choke in it, it's impossible to shoot accurately with our Remingtons and the way they patterned. You know I've got rifle sights and my Remington barrel also has POI low and left with my sight kicked WAY to the right. It also explains why I was able to wing shoot one direction better than the other in the past.
    dewyafish wrote: »
    I'm sure you have your reasons, but putting tru-glo sights on mine was the absolute best thing I've ever done with my turkey gun.

By adding a rear sight I ensured that the gun was on target when I squeezed the trigger no matter how contorted my body was.
    This is probably a mistake, but...That gun hasn't missed a bird since I added the sight and before you say I don't hunt any more...Auston has used it for the last 4 years and it has brought the birds home.

I feel the same way. I like the rifle sights on mine better than not. My Benelli doesn't have them right now but will before long (probably not this season). Although this seems to boil down to a person preference
    Good point.
    Rule #1 of a scattergun for me is that it MUST shoot where I'm looking.
    Benelli nor Berretta make a gun to my knowledge that fits me without having to be shimmed.
    I can shoot Remingtons and Brownings right out of the box.

I had to shim my Benelli, which had the shims in the box, and that wasn't a big deal. My Remington, when patterened, was just WAY low and left without sights.

Regardless, just make sure it hits where you aim with that a new choke (whether full, extra full, or turkey) to ensure you're really hitting what you're aiming at. Don't use a turkey target, use wrapping paper or carboard with a sticker or dot on it to truly see where you're pattern hits. If POI and POA are close with whatever choke you have consider it good and go hunt. If it's way off, consider adding a set of sights. I really like mine and think they've been a great addition to my gun and my accuracy.
    omegafoo wrote: »
    With a turkey choke in it, it's impossible to shoot accurately with our Remingtons and the way they patterned. You know I've got rifle sights and my Remington barrel also has POI low and left with my sight kicked WAY to the right. It also explains why I was able to wing shoot one direction better than the other in the past.

I feel the same way. I like the rifle sights on mine better than not. My Benelli doesn't have them right now but will before long (probably not this season). Although this seems to boil down to a person preference

I had to shim my Benelli, which had the shims in the box, and that wasn't a big deal. My Remington, when patterened, was just WAY low and left without sights.

Regardless, just make sure it hits where you aim with that a new choke (whether full, extra full, or turkey) to ensure you're really hitting what you're aiming at. Don't use a turkey target, use wrapping paper or carboard with a sticker or dot on it to truly see where you're pattern hits. If POI and POA are close with whatever choke you have consider it good and go hunt. If it's way off, consider adding a set of sights. I really like mine and think they've been a great addition to my gun and my accuracy.

IMO the 870 express guns are just cheap pos.

Not sure whether the binelli rib is same width as 870 but if so you can have the truglo sights off the 870 for the binelli
  • dewyafishdewyafish Posts: 5,025 Admiral
    The old 870 Wingmaster is 10x the gun that the new ones are.
    There's nothing more enjoyable than suprise morning sex...
    Unless you happen to be in jail at the time.
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,400 AG
    The old 870 Wingmaster is 10x the gun that the new ones are.

yep yep
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
    This is from a .410 at 30 yards.
    1798638_705450532811579_952504362_n.jpg
    I miss my ol 4hundred and 10 skeet choked gun, killed a lot of grey birds with it.
    Maybe I should switch from muzzle loader to 410 next year.
    F the feds
    There is a guy on gon that shoots a single shot Yildiz 410. He shoots hand load #9's and gets as good of patterns as any 20 and 12 that was posted.

That is good enough to kill him Dew........but not good enough to kill that paper, not enough shot in it :grin
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
    micci_man wrote: »
    There is a guy on gon that shoots a single shot Yildiz 410. He shoots hand load #9's

That's going to be TSS shot and ~$50/lb for just the shot.
  • line dancerline dancer Posts: 233 Deckhand
    There is a guy on gon that shoots a single shot Yildiz 410. He shoots hand load #9's and gets as good of patterns as any 20 and 12 that was posted.

That is good enough to kill him Dew........but not good enough to kill that paper, not enough shot in it :grin
    Not with the others shooting tss also. I hunt with a 20 and have full confidence in it to 50 and probably a little further if I miss judge it
    ...but not good enough to kill that paper, not enough shot in it :grin

LMAO! gotta have hundreds of pellets in a 10" circle or it ain't worth shooting
    They can't stand it Tyler :grin

13/16 oz of tss 9's yes but we aren't talking about price in this thread. I stand corrected, he said it would out pattern any 12 shooting lead 4's at 40. Still impresive.
  • FamilyfisherFamilyfisher Posts: 2,993 Captain
    I went to pattern the A5 last Saturday. Imagine my surprise when I put the first 3 1/2 shell in the receiver and it wouldn't load into the chamber correctly. It took me about 45 seconds to figure out what the problem was. The shotgun I was awarded as a new A5 with the 3 1/2" chamber is actually a new A5 chambered for 3"! I wasn't going to waste a trip, so I loaded up with 2 3/4" filled with #7 and fired at the first target at 40 yards. I had about 20 pellets in the head/neck kill zone. I moved to 30 yards and had a much better kill zone ratio with lots of shot in the 10" surrounding it. I didn't count them up, but I believe I can kill one if the opportunity ever presents itself.

I got lucky in that one of Jake's buddies and his dad shoot 3 1/2's and they gave me what I had in the shells so I didn't lose money there. I've got to take Ronnie to Emory on Friday, so a stop at BPS to return the first choke I bought( that wasn't the right fit ) is in order. I'll shop around in there a while and see what 3" loads I end up with. Then, it'll be back to the woods.

The worst news I got all last weekend was when I went to the hunt club and saw they've started thinning....BIG TIME. Right now, they're within about 300 yards of where I saw the most turkeys during deer season. I may be screwed for hunting that area this year. Apparently, they're going to thin the whole tract. Good news come September....for March, not so much.
    Proverbs 13:3
    Turkeys love to strut in thinned rows, you could be in luck.
    F the feds
    They love to feed in them too. I wouldn't count out this turkey season just yet Brad and still give it a few tries. Sorry about the mixup with the new gun. Regardless, you still have a very nice gun that will kill any animal around these parts.

If that is directed at me It does not bother me what you hunt with. Yes I want to have a gun that will put lots of pellets in the 10 inch circle as well as the 20 inch circle. It is really no difference between that and the rest of technology. Most of us hunt with compound bows, inline muzzle loaders, rifles with scopes and so on.

I think at this point everyone knows they can kill a turkey with cheap shells and a fixed choke gun. But if a man decides to spend money and wants to use higher priced stuff that is his choice.
  • tapatetapate Posts: 5,263 Admiral
    I went to pattern the A5 last Saturday. Imagine my surprise when I put the first 3 1/2 shell in the receiver and it wouldn't load into the chamber correctly. It took me about 45 seconds to figure out what the problem was. The shotgun I was awarded as a new A5 with the 3 1/2" chamber is actually a new A5 chambered for 3"! I wasn't going to waste a trip, so I loaded up with 2 3/4" filled with #7 and fired at the first target at 40 yards. I had about 20 pellets in the head/neck kill zone. I moved to 30 yards and had a much better kill zone ratio with lots of shot in the 10" surrounding it. I didn't count them up, but I believe I can kill one if the opportunity ever presents itself.

I got lucky in that one of Jake's buddies and his dad shoot 3 1/2's and they gave me what I had in the shells so I didn't lose money there. I've got to take Ronnie to Emory on Friday, so a stop at BPS to return the first choke I bought( that wasn't the right fit ) is in order. I'll shop around in there a while and see what 3" loads I end up with. Then, it'll be back to the woods.

The worst news I got all last weekend was when I went to the hunt club and saw they've started thinning....BIG TIME. Right now, they're within about 300 yards of where I saw the most turkeys during deer season. I may be screwed for hunting that area this year. Apparently, they're going to thin the whole tract. Good news come September....for March, not so much.

You should be fine unless they thin all the roost trees around. Turkeys abosolutely love to feed and strut in cut pines. If anything they gave you a good spot to sit and wait on em.
  • FamilyfisherFamilyfisher Posts: 2,993 Captain
    My biggest concern is that they're DONE by the time we get to season. I still plan to try. They were working back toward my deer stand last weekend when we were out there. I love the way it looks. Should be able to see much better this year.
    Proverbs 13:3
    I'm a skeptic for #9's for killing a turkey at 40 yards.
    The shot loses most of it's kinetic energy by the time it travels that far.
    A gobbler's spine is very hard and I just don't see a #9 being able to break it.
    That being said, 9's kill paper just fine.

(Smallest shot I trust is a #6 for turkeys, but I'm a little old school.)
    If that is directed at me It does not bother me what you hunt with. Yes I want to have a gun that will put lots of pellets in the 10 inch circle as well as the 20 inch circle. It is really no difference between that and the rest of technology. Most of us hunt with compound bows, inline muzzle loaders, rifles with scopes and so on.

I think at this point everyone knows they can kill a turkey with cheap shells and a fixed choke gun. But if a man decides to spend money and wants to use higher priced stuff that is his choice.

I do not begrudge anyone for shooting whatever they want so long as it i sufficient to kill birds cleanly in most situations. What drives me up the wall is the crowd that thinks you have to have so many pellets in little circles to kill birds & will put others & their gear down because it isn't what they choose to shoot.
    To me turkey hunting is a sport with a max range of 40 yards give or take 5 for misjudging. With that said, inside of 40 yards you are getting absolutely no benefit other than on paper from shooting the super expensive shells. Every bird shot in the upper spinal column or brain with lead dies right there be it 20 pellets per inch or 1 pellet in the kill zone. I've crippled a running bird @ 30 yards with a $1 lead 3" #6 and seen omegafoo do exactly the same thing with a $5 hevi whatever. I don't see why anybody feels the need to spend extra $ for no benefit other than on paper.
    Our board tends to be more friends ribbing eachother than folks who are actually meanspirited & nasty about it. Like I said before, I don't give a rip what you shoot so longvas you aren't insulting everyone who doesn't do it your way. Bu you and your I do not mean you Jeremy I mean a general you.
    Now for those that think it sporting to shoot birds past 40 yds I can see the benefit of tighter patterns & heavier shot & it might be worth the $. Inside of 40 it just isnt necessary.
    A gobbler's spine is very hard and I just don't see a #9 being able to break it.
    That being said, 9's kill paper just fine.

(Smallest shot I trust is a #6 for turkeys, but I'm a little old school.)
    Dew there is a big difference in the weight of a tss 9 and a lead 9. I dont shot them as they are handload only and I dont want to get into that.
    I do not begrudge anyone for shooting whatever they want so long as it i sufficient to kill birds cleanly in most situations. What drives me up the wall is the crowd that thinks you have to have so many pellets in little circles to kill birds & will put others & their gear down because it isn't what they choose to shoot.
    To me turkey hunting is a sport with a max range of 40 yards give or take 5 for misjudging. With that said, inside of 40 yards you are getting absolutely no benefit other than on paper from shooting the super expensive shells. Every bird shot in the upper spinal column or brain with lead dies right there be it 20 pellets per inch or 1 pellet in the kill zone. I've crippled a running bird @ 30 yards with a $1 lead 3" #6 and seen omegafoo do exactly the same thing with a $5 hevi whatever. I don't see why anybody feels the need to spend extra $ for no benefit other than on paper.
    Our board tends to be more friends ribbing eachother than folks who are actually meanspirited & nasty about it. Like I said before, I don't give a rip what you shoot so longvas you aren't insulting everyone who doesn't do it your way. Bu you and your I do not mean you Jeremy I mean a general you.
    Now for those that think it sporting to shoot birds past 40 yds I can see the benefit of tighter patterns & heavier shot & it might be worth the $. Inside of 40 it just isnt necessary.

Tyler I know what you are saying. The biggest benefit to the htl stuff is the ability to shoot a smaller shot size. this gives you a lot more pellets hitting the vitals. I would rather have lots of pellets hitting the vitals then counting on that one or 2 to do the job. everyone has there on thoughts and ideas on it and that will never change. But when I pull the trigger there is no doubt in my mind that the turkey is going to die be it 5 yards or 50 yards as I have that confidence in my set up.

Easy big fella. Just a little ribbing like Tyler said. Mostly directed at 'foo cause he's takes the bait oh to easy but I feel a nibble form you too :grin Y'all can shoot what you want, I don't care. Shoot out to 50+, that's fine too. You prefer high dollar shells for maxim patterns and being able to make long shots. I'm cheap as we all know and shoot cheap shells but even if I did shoot the high dollar stuff I still wouldn't shoot one past 40. The hunt to me is getting them in close due to my calling. There is nothing wrong with any choices we each make.

If I have offended you or anyone else I apologize :beer
    Easy big fella. Just a little ribbing like Tyler said. Mostly directed at 'foo cause he's takes the bait oh to easy but I feel a nibble form you too :grin Y'all can shoot what you want, I don't care. Shoot out to 50+, that's fine too. You prefer high dollar shells for maxim patterns and being able to make long shots. I'm cheap as we all know and shoot cheap shells but even if I did shoot the high dollar stuff I still wouldn't shoot one past 40. The hunt to me is getting them in close due to my calling. There is nothing wrong with any choices we each make.

If I have offended you or anyone else I apologize :beer

Im not offended and see nothing wrong with back and forth ribbing. You and tyler both say that it is a forty yard game this sounds really good. When you have worked a bird for 2 hours and he finally comes in and hangs up at 45 looking for the hen your blood is pumping your heart is racing you going to tell me you are not going to pull the trigger? I want to shoot at turkey between 20 and 30 yards everytime, but it just is not going to always work out that way. Limits on everything will always be pushed it is up to you if you think you can push it.
    2 hours? I am not that patient. Heck I would not have the patience to work Raquel Welch for 2 hours.
    I get up and find another bird, or move on that one and blow it or make it happen.
    I like committed birds, my legs go to sleep if I sit down on the ground for too long.
    F the feds

13/16 oz of tss 9's yes but we aren't talking about price in this thread. I stand corrected, he said it would out pattern any 12 shooting lead 4's at 40. Still impresive.

Bait all you want, doesn't bother me but... I was making sure that it was known, since you conveniently decided to leave it out, that the guy is NOT shoot lead #9s. I'd hate for someone (someone being a newbie) to think that lead #9s out of a .410 would be an appropriate load for turkeys. The price for it wasn't directed at you either - but rather a "he's paying a boat-load" for his shot. $50/lb = $3.125/oz Heck, can't say that I wouldn't like to try it...
    Bodine wrote: »
    2 hours? I am not that patient. Heck I would not have the patience to work Raquel Welch for 2 hours.
    I get up and find another bird, or move on that one and blow it or make it happen.
    I like committed birds, my legs go to sleep if I sit down on the ground for too long.

One bird stands out to me - I worked him from daylight until 10AM and I still DID NOT get a shot at that bird. Called him across a creek and instead of him coming out inside of 40, he stepped out at 60 :willynilly The experience was worth the 3 hour sit in my gobbler lounger. Even had a semi roll by 100 yards away and blow a tire and that bird triple shock-gobbled at the tire blowing (sounded like a cannon).

Dew - LD's already stated it but lead is ~11g/cc and tss is ~18g/cc - ~64% heavier shot. It being TSS is the reason for my original note that he was NOT shooting lead and for people to not confuse that .410 with someone could do with lead shells from the store.
    Im not offended and see nothing wrong with back and forth ribbing. You and tyler both say that it is a forty yard game this sounds really good. When you have worked a bird for 2 hours and he finally comes in and hangs up at 45 looking for the hen your blood is pumping your heart is racing you going to tell me you are not going to pull the trigger? I want to shoot at turkey between 20 and 30 yards everytime, but it just is not going to always work out that way. Limits on everything will always be pushed it is up to you if you think you can push it.
    When my heart is racing and my blood is pumping is why I went to a more open choke...I get the shakes so bad I need a pattern the size of a VW bug to kill a turkey at 40 yards. I'm just lookin for a stray pellet or 2
    omegafoo wrote: »
    Bait all you want, doesn't bother me but... I was making sure that it was known, since you conveniently decided to leave it out, that the guy is NOT shoot lead #9s. I'd hate for someone (someone being a newbie) to think that lead #9s out of a .410 would be an appropriate load for turkeys.

You got me, I left that out on purpose LOL. As you know I don't know the difference in TSS,SST, KMA or TCC when it comes to turkey shot. I'm glad you cleared that up so a new hunter whouldn't read my post and choose to shoot a 410 with #9 lead vs the 12 ga 3.5's that 80% of turkey hunters seem use and talk about on the interwebs :machinegun

Dadgumit! See if there wasn't all of this fancy turkey shot and stuff we wouldn't be going back and forth :grin

Brad- I'm sorry for derailing your thread :beer
    When my heart is racing and my blood is pumping is why I went to a more open choke...I get the shakes so bad I need a pattern the size of a VW bug to kill a turkey at 40 yards. I'm just lookin for a stray pellet or 2
    quit spookin the birds and you dont have to shot them flyin