The new A5

Replies

• CranfieldCranfield Posts: 1,344 Officer
    Rather than me trying to explain how to replace an 'O' ring, this video does a better job.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opqQE7MSqyc
  • ducknfishducknfish Posts: 3,821 Officer
    I was taught a lesson about using larger shot for pheasants in my 20's and went with 5's & I think 4's from then on. Why do folks use smaller shot on a turkey which I would think is a much tougher bird than a pheasant?

And if I may ask, I have a Remington 1100 that I bought at K-mart circa 1978 ($190) sitting in a closet since 1980. Anyone know how to replace the O-rings that I have been told must be replaced before it is fired again?

Then a bit of advice gleaned from living near the "ghetto" all our lives. Load those waterfowl magnums into your self defense guns. They are devastating on two legged animals.

Google it & you will find youtube video of how to. O ring kits are available online cheap too.

People want smaller shot for turkeys because they like to have lots of pellets in the kill zone. Usually you are shooting a turkey in the neck or head while he is standing still which requires less shot size to bring him down than it does to drop a flying bird of equal size that you may body shoot.

There are certainly alternatives that are superior to lead. Superior and necessary are two completely different animals. Remember 3.5" mags & alloy shot would have never even come about if nontoxic shot were not mandated for waterfowling & steel so inferior to lead.
    IMO why pay rediculous prices for shells when the old stand by never fails when used properly.
  • illinoisfishermanillinoisfisherman Posts: 5,172 Admiral
    Thanks, that looks easy enough!
  • trout069trout069 Posts: 4,469 Captain
    FF,congrats on the A5.like Dewey says it is just hunting and no offense to others about shell choice.showed this thread to a friend of mine who would rather turkey hunt than work(which he has sometimes).his comment,I use winchester #6 supremes,because once i shot a bird and really measured the distance and it was 71 yards!knowing him it was probaly about 50 yards.enjoy turkey hunting!
  • omegafooomegafoo Posts: 3,125 Captain
    Hey FF - There's a $10 rebate on that box of Magnum Blend

http://www.hevishot.com/images/stories/2013-Rebates/2014%20turkey%20rebate.pdf
  • FamilyfisherFamilyfisher Posts: 2,742 Captain
    Thanks Foo!
    Proverbs 13:3
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 12,585 AG
    This kind of stuff is what gets game bugered up and wounded to run off and die.....I think it's a new load this yr and you wouldn't believe the people that are looking to buy it, based on this comment.

image_zps026e53a2.jpg
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • dewyafishdewyafish Posts: 4,975 Captain
    That must be the new load the replaced Winchesters HIgh Velocity Turkey loads.
    Notice that they are UNDER 2oz of shot.
    There's a reason for that. :)

Multiple shot size loads are fine and good for still targets, but don't perform so well with fast moving targets like teal or woodies.
    The different sized pellets may come out of the muzzle at the same speed, but they separate quickly elongating the shot string and making patterns with large holes in them.

Uniformity of weight, size and roundness make shotgun patterns better.
    It's not weight, size, or power/speed, or even choke size for that matter.
    Tight chokes with heavy loads actually deform the shot causing flyers and poor patterns.
    There's nothing more enjoyable than suprise morning sex...
    Unless you happen to be in jail at the time.
    Where are you copying and pasting from? :grin

I wasn't talking about the actual shell/shot....I was talking about the "66 yds, that's where I dropped him" and the "now I can move my decoys out further" part.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
    I saw that, but learned almost 20 years ago that the Drury team will "can" a hunt for the camera to sell their products.
    There are some other TV hunters that produce a good "show". but not hunts.
    Shooting at a turkey past 50 yards would by some, myself included, considered unethical.

(The above isn't C&P, but an opinion of just one person...ME.)
    Disclaimer: My posts on this thread are in no way, shape, form, or fashion meant to bash or demean the original poster's gun or ammo.
    micci_man wrote: »
    This kind of stuff is what gets game bugered up and wounded to run off and die.....I think it's a new load this yr and you wouldn't believe the people that are looking to buy it, based on this comment.

image_zps026e53a2.jpg

I was gonna buy some of it but not because of the comment because I'm low on shells & it is not outrageously expensive. BPS is the only place in town that has it but they only have #4 & #5. I was hoping for #6 so I may just stick with the winchester 1&7/8 #6 I've shot forever. I haven't decided whether I'm going to drop to a 5 or stick with what I've been doing.
    I actually went to a more open choke this year than in the past instead of the other way around. I'm interested to see how it performs.
    My 1187 with a Comp-N-Choke patterns the 1 7/8oz 5's or 6's equally well.
    Post results when you test comparing the two chokes.
    dewyafish wrote: »
    Disclaimer: My posts on this thread are in no way, shape, form, or fashion meant to bash or demean the original poster's gun or ammo.

me neither! nor the shell.
  • omegafooomegafoo Posts: 3,125 Captain
    66 yards - might as well break out the rifle...
  • FamilyfisherFamilyfisher Posts: 2,742 Captain
    I still haven't shot the thing with the choke or ammo. It was raining on Saturday and revival started Sunday so I've been at church each evening. Maybe sometime after tomorrow. I can always learn from folks here, that's for sure. My son has had some moderate success at turkey hunting so I've been depending on him for information on what I need. It seems that with this, as most things, there are about as many opinions as there are options for ammunition length and load.

I don't eat duck, so there's not much chance I'll start hunting them as I don't just go in for shooting animals I won't use for the table unless they're varmints. That ought to save me a pretty penny right there.
    Proverbs 13:3
    There isn't a thing in the world "wrong" with your setup. If anything it is overkill & there's nothing wrong with that.
    Brad- turkey hunting, like any other hunting can be as expensive as you want it to be or make it. You will talk to some that wear a vest that weighs 20lbs from all of the turkey stuff in it right down to those that only hunt with a gun and 2-3 calls. Neither is right or wrong. It's just a preference of the person.

Buy a mouth call or two (store bought will work but I prefer to buy from people that make them) and practice with them everytime you are your truck. Yes, you may get some funny looks at stop lights or in parking lots but oh well. A pot call may be another call for you to use. They're simple to run. There are plenty of videos out there that will help you learn each call during the times you can't be with someone to give you pointers to use them. Like DnF mentioned, the worst yelp I have ever heard actually came from a live bird. I new for a fact I had someone slipping in on me when I first heard it.

Can't wait to see your first bird, I think you may be hooked after that. Good luck :beer
  • line dancerline dancer Posts: 233 Deckhand
    The biggest thing no mater what shell/choke/gun you shot is to acually shot it and know what it does at different yardage. Then only take shots you are comfortable with.
    Brad the biggest thing you need to do is make sure it hits where you are aiming. different shells and chokes can change where the point of impact is. If it is way off you may need to add a set of sights to it.
    different shells and chokes can change where the point of impact is. If it is way off you may need to add a set of sights to it.

That is also a matter of opinion. I have one of those guns and it will never see the woods again nor will I ever have rifle sights on a shotgun again unless I am shooting slugs.
    I'm sure you have your reasons, but putting tru-glo sights on mine was the absolute best thing I've ever done with my turkey gun.

I missed a few birds that I should have killed stone dead and realized that when you are leaning or turned into weird positions it's tough to keep your head on the stock and the bead lined up. It's easy to allow your head to come up and peek because it's more comfortable to your body.

By adding a rear sight I ensured that the gun was on target when I squeezed the trigger no matter how contorted my body was.
    This is probably a mistake, but...That gun hasn't missed a bird since I added the sight and before you say I don't hunt any more...Auston has used it for the last 4 years and it has brought the birds home.

Again, just my opinion and what works for me due to experience.
  • BodineBodine Posts: 2,888 Captain
    I just jump on em and ring their necks.
    F the feds
    dewyafish wrote: »
    I'm sure you have your reasons, but putting tru-glo sights on mine was the absolute best thing I've ever done with my turkey gun.

I missed a few birds that I should have killed stone dead and realized that when you are leaning or turned into weird positions it's tough to keep your head on the stock and the bead lined up. It's easy to allow your head to come up and peek because it's more comfortable to your body.

By adding a rear sight I ensured that the gun was on target when I squeezed the trigger no matter how contorted my body was.
    This is probably a mistake, but...That gun hasn't missed a bird since I added the sight and before you say I don't hunt any more...Auston has used it for the last 4 years and it has brought the birds home.

Again, just my opinion and what works for me due to experience.

870 express where the back sight on the truglo had to be moved so far left that it is almost off the vent rib to get it to hit where it's pointed. Then when the bird is moving, running etc...you can't shoot it like a shotgun because it's POA and POI are so far off that with a 665 choke I'm missing anything that isn't presenting a perfect shot.
    Last year I retired the gun after having one drum his way in over my rt shoulder @ 17-18 yards. I needed him to get 3 more steps so I could move or switch to left handed and he caught my profile & ran. I tried to shoot the gun like a shotgun is made to shoot & missed.
    I had never missed a bird until I put that 665 tube in that gun. The combo of POA & POI being so far off and the tight choke just didn't work for me.
    This year I have a new to me gun with one 670 barrel and one mod barrel so we will see how that works. I like the idea of having a more open choke to shoot @ 20-25 & a turkey choke for out to 40.
    Good point.
    Rule #1 of a scattergun for me is that it MUST shoot where I'm looking.
    Benelli nor Berretta make a gun to my knowledge that fits me without having to be shimmed.
    I can shoot Remingtons and Brownings right out of the box.

I've shot doves and duck WITH the sights on mine. Just look "through" the rear sight with both eyes open like it's not even there.
  • CranfieldCranfield Posts: 1,344 Officer
    Disclaimer: I have never shot, or shot at, a turkey.

I find it difficult to shoot anything efficiently (meaning kill it) that isn't moving.
    I think the main reason is because when I shoot moving targets I don't aim, in the real sense.
    The second point is that every gun I have patterned (never tight turkey chokes) will tend to put most of the shot pattern above the POA.

If shooting a sitting target the size of a rabbit, or crow, I "aim" at their feet, I find this efficient.

Mixed shot sizes are a gimmick IMO and they made rifles for shooting things 40 yards plus away.

None of this will help you shoot a turkey, but I cannot allow a shotgun thread to pass without posting on it at least twice.:)
    Very true.
    Scatterguns were made to bring down flying or running game and the method used is more of an instinct point and shoot instead of aim and squeeze.

You are also very correct in that most shotguns pattern with at least 60% of the shot above the equator of the pattern.
    Guns designed for different disciplines also have different POI's and POA's.

One example is that a Trap gun is designed to shoot a target that is rising so they always shoot high. So high that you always see the target above the barrels. If you cover the target with the bead you have shot WAY over your mark.
  • cc13cc13 Posts: 517 Officer
    So far I agree with everything Dew has said about shotgunning, including the Remington/Browning out of the box but not the Benelli/Beretta.

Brad--enjoy and be proud of your new gun...Just don't believe you need to beat yourself up in order kill birds.
  • line dancerline dancer Posts: 233 Deckhand
    ducknfish wrote: »
    870 express where the back sight on the truglo had to be moved so far left that it is almost off the vent rib to get it to hit where it's pointed. Then when the bird is moving, running etc...you can't shoot it like a shotgun because it's POA and POI are so far off that with a 665 choke I'm missing anything that isn't presenting a perfect shot.
    Last year I retired the gun after having one drum his way in over my rt shoulder @ 17-18 yards. I needed him to get 3 more steps so I could move or switch to left handed and he caught my profile & ran. I tried to shoot the gun like a shotgun is made to shoot & missed.
    I had never missed a bird until I put that 665 tube in that gun. The combo of POA & POI being so far off and the tight choke just didn't work for me.
    This year I have a new to me gun with one 670 barrel and one mod barrel so we will see how that works. I like the idea of having a more open choke to shoot @ 20-25 & a turkey choke for out to 40.
    Just pattern it exit diameter does not have everything to do with how tight a pattern it shoots. I prefer sights on mine that way it helps me keep my head down. But to each his own but sights are better than good old Kentucky windage
  • hooknredshooknreds Posts: 2,461 Captain
    ducknfish wrote: »

So you are hunting with an over/under? I like it, if I wouldn't have invested what I did in my built single shot I'd follow suit. My o/u's have silver receivers so I wouldn't feel confident staring down a bird with something shiny in my hands. I had an old man who used to preach to me about turkey hunting, and he hunted with a beautiful shiny Citori. Before he passed I would poke at him and say there's no way he was killing birds with that bright and shiny gun. He would laugh and say, "Son, when you have the patients of Job they come to you and it don't matter what your shooting". I must admit, he carried the longest set of spurs I've ever seen in his truck.
  • hooknredshooknreds Posts: 2,461 Captain
    Cranfield wrote: »
    Disclaimer: Mixed shot sizes are a gimmick IMO and they made rifles for shooting things 40 yards plus away.

None of this will help you shoot a turkey, but I cannot allow a shotgun thread to pass without posting on it at least twice.:)

I agree about the mixed shot, and I would hope you wouldn't let a thread like this pass you by. Any man that builds a suppressor for his scattergun must know a thing or two about scatter guns.