FSU's WW II Institute

Recent threads from Illinoisfisherman reminded me of the WW2 Institute at Florida State that accepts collections for study and display. My father-in-law arrived in Germany just as the war in Europe was winding down and stationed in and around ****'s mountain retreat. He brought home a box full of stuff and my wife has cataloged and inventoried the collection (there is some eye opening items in there) and we'll donate it when the time is right. This is a great way to keep the greatest generations memories alive as we lose the remaining vets. Here's the link. http://ww2.fsu.edu/

Replies

• trout069trout069 Posts: 4,470 Captain
    yes I need to go there.they mailed,emailed and somehow got my cell about 8 years ago and contacted me.my grandfather,uncle and myself have same first and last names.suppose to be something about my great uncle their,if they have anything about the NightHawks.think that is what group he flew in.
  • fsuwxmanfsuwxman Posts: 1,265 Officer
    I had the opportunity to meet and speak with Tom Brokaw when he came to town years ago in support of the WWII institute at FSU. It's a great institution and doing some great work to honor our greatest generation.
    2015 FS Northwest Forum NASCAR Champion
  • illinoisfishermanillinoisfisherman Posts: 5,173 Admiral
    I will put his photos on discs once I get him to put words to all of them and send them a copy. The way Dad tells it they gave everyone in the Recon outfit cameras and they were free to photograph whatever they chose whenever they wanted but all photographs had to be developed by the people in charge. Many were returned, some were classified and locked away and some that were notable were kept and cataloged with notes placed on them by the developers like the "storm damage" photos.

Funny thing 60+ years later he is still kind of reluctant to sit down and tell what the photos are.
  • outboardsurplusoutboardsurplus Posts: 112 Deckhand
    Those men went thru hell for all of us,god bless them.
  • BakermanBakerman Posts: 1,222 Officer
    I will put his photos on discs once I get him to put words to all of them and send them a copy. The way Dad tells it they gave everyone in the Recon outfit cameras and they were free to photograph whatever they chose whenever they wanted but all photographs had to be developed by the people in charge. Many were returned, some were classified and locked away and some that were notable were kept and cataloged with notes placed on them by the developers like the "storm damage" photos.

Funny thing 60+ years later he is still kind of reluctant to sit down and tell what the photos are.

A. War is one of the things many vets like to forget. Recalling events often triggers other memories.

B. That issue cameras thing..............sounds just like weddings where they hand out disposible cameras to the guests to use and turn in after the reception. Some ideas just aren't new.
    Bakerman formerly known as Bakerman.
  • BayBobBayBob Posts: 749 Officer
    My father-in-law just started speaking of his service (he's 87), my wife didn't know the box existed until just last year. He has trouble remembering what day it is now but has vivid details of his war years. When my wife brought home the box to go through I was stunned to find SS patches and rank insignia, documents and pictures take from German soldiers. Some were Hitlers housekeeping staff in Berchtesgaden.