Skip to main content
Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Just a thought about winter.

SlackerSlacker Senior MemberHomosassa, JaxPosts: 1,815 Captain
After watching the reports and the water temperatures this weekend I formed a theory. The trout do not like a water temp in mid to low 60's, especially if it is falling. When the low tide is in the morning and the moon is full, that incoming tide comes screaming in with cold water from the deeper gulf. That is probably worst in late winter. The falling temps slow the bite and make fishermen start making up theories. It can't be that we just did a poor job of fishing. Just sayin.

Replies

• Fish HaidFish Haid Senior Member Under The ____________Power Lines!!!!! Forum Rank: A++ (99/100)Posts: 8,417 Admiral
    I think the incoming water is warmer than the river water. Just a guess though.
    23895.gif
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Senior Member Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,784 Captain
    They don't mind the 60's. They shut down when the temp drops below about 60. But they will still eat after a few days of sitting in a hole or over dark mud even if the temperatures stay low. They just won't move too fast to chase anything down until the temps get to 60 or better.

You're certainly right about increasing temperatures turning them on and a flush of cold incoming water turning them off. This time of year it's pretty much an afternoon bite. They'll find a nice warm skinny spot if the sun is out and start to feed as the shallow water warms up later in the afternoon.
  • SlackerSlacker Senior Member Homosassa, JaxPosts: 1,815 Captain
    Fish Haid wrote: »
    I think the incoming water is warmer than the river water. Just a guess though.

I saw it drop a degree in 20 minutes just inside Hell's Gate Monday afternoon(65-64).
  • Jim311Jim311 Senior Member Gainesville, FLPosts: 4,961 Captain
    I pushed deep up into a Waccasassa creek on Sunday looking for pockets of warmer water. I pushed in near the bottom of the low tide, with a weak incoming tide. I found the water was actually warmer when it was coming in from the bay on the incoming tide, closest to the mouths of the creeks. There was literally a 10+ degree temperature swing. It was 54 in some places in the creek, and in the low 60s out near the mouths of those creeks with the tide coming in.

It really depends on the time of year. There are times when the bay brings warmer waters and times when it brings colder, it all depends.
  • FELLOW-SHIPFELLOW-SHIP Senior Member Weeki WacheePosts: 213 Deckhand
    For me, trout are like me figuring out my wife after 43 years I'm still trying, and still screwing up just like yesterday. Hopping to hit a home run and coming home with a question. Now what did I do wrong this time??

FellowShip:banghead