Best Kept Restaurant Secret in PC/PCB Area ???

I've been living in PCB (Bay Co.) for >10yrs & find myself going out less & less & cooking/eating @ home more & more 1* due to all too frequently being disappointed by the local Restaurants...
I decided to start this thread in the hopes that somebody might know some place I haven't tried (or need to try again). Anything goes here from Local Dives (preferred) to $$$ meals...
Post away & I'll check back later... Hopefully we can all discover at least 1 place we haven't tried & will love...
There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!

Replies

• RedhunterRedhunter Posts: 435 Deckhand
    Well, I will start it off.

For Wings, I am going to have to say Wingos in Callaway. It is a hole in the wall but the lady does a good job on the wings.
  • Red FishRed Fish Posts: 1,163 Officer
    In town - Los Antojitos is by far and away the best shrimp tacos and their steak is amazing.
    Beach - hook'd is pretty good considering it is in the tourist hotbed located at the foot of the city pier.
    Thomas drive area - no clue since I only get over that way once a week.
    South Walton - local catch never disappoints.
    Genesis 27:3 - Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
  • mikefmikef Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    My Best Friends Kitchen next to home depot on 23rd dinner served Thurs-Saturday limited hours
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,177 Admiral
    Well so far it's not looking real promising! :grin
  • RedhunterRedhunter Posts: 435 Deckhand
    I know you said PC & PCB but a couple of places in Port St. Joe are:
    BBQ - Paul Gant, I think open Thurs-Sat till they sell out.
    Pizza & Samiches - Joe Mammas with a good craft beer selection.
    Joe Mamma is good!

Napoli in Springfield. Great Italian foods besides just pizza.
    Whoa! Sue's back in business!

Sue's J. Michael's on 390.

http://sueson390.com/?page_id=180
  • stingwraystingwray On the creek Ga, Beach house FL.Posts: 762 Officer
    When in town my wife and i like to eat at Salt Water Grill. We always stop in during early bird special's fair price and more food then we can eat. As for me i like to stop by Hunt's for a dozen raw.
    Genes for oysters.
    Genesis 27:3 - Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    I too would rather eat at the house. There is not a decent steak in town (except on my grill).
    And most seafood resturants you have mortgage your house to eat at them!
    I do like the Hognose Snapper on Thomas drive good prices and a small good menu.
    And as far as St Joe goes, the Sunset is probably the best around.
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
  • tk's joytk's joy Posts: 2,490 Officer
    Killer Seafood in MB. Very good, small place, no credit cards. Don't try to go on a Friday or Saturday night in season. Good place, good people.

tk
    Well then my favorite Thai restaurant in the area is the Royal Orchid in Miramar Beach.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,036 Moderator
    Two words... slim pickens.

We only go out for a few primary reasons: 1. To hang out with friends / drinks. 2. If I don't have fresh fish / feel like making sushi. 3. If we want to take boat to lunch / dinner.

That being said, here are a few things to think about.

1. My Thai on Cherry St in the Cove has some pretty good food. I really like the Pad Woon Sen. Only complaint with them is that you never know how hot it's going to be. I've had McDonalds heat, and I've had flaming **** from there the next time.

2. Shan Kishi out at W end of beach. They have an All You Can Eat Sushi deal from 12:00 to 4:00. It's like $17 and they open up almost all of the menu to you. Shrimp Boat has an AYCE sushi deal for approx same price, or a bit cheaper, but they limit what you can order and it's not that good. Scenery is a bit nicer there, but that only goes so far.

3. We tried to eat at the new place up on 77 that used to be that Indian restaurant. Supposed to be Thai and sushi now. We walked out two weeks ago, though. EEs yelling at each other and a line out the door. Two weeks in and they still has some serious opening-day pains.

4. Dee's Hangout at the beach. I've had a couple lunches there. Okay IMO, but some folks love it. Just a fry it up place, but priced approriately and pretty quick.

5. Saltwater Grill... I like the place. It's over priced, though. Actuall proposed to my wife there (only because we had a gift cert... hahah... I'm cheap. Plus, had I offered to buy a nice dinner she would have known something was up)

6. Genes over in Millville is okay. I can walk there, so we go every now and then. Wish they sold beer. Have bought some less than ideal bags of oysters from there, but that happens. On the beer front... I've neve had a problem brining in a beverage in a cup there. Just sayin'.

7. I think Kobe on 23rd st has really good sushi. Environment is pretty sorry, though.

8. There is no good BBQ in town anymore. Gosh, I sure wish Glenn's was still open. That was good stuff. Short of my BBQ or what used to be Glenn's, I guess the next best option is Outlaws. Although I have not tried any of hte options at the beach.

9. Fins in Hobby Lobby has good sushi and better environment, but is pricey I think.

10. Oh... For lunch. "Somethings Cooking" in town. 1 block E on Harrison and 11th. N side of road.

11. Liza's Kitchen on Thomas Drive another good lunch place. Sandwiches as well.

12. I think Another Broken Egg serves good breakfast / lunch.

13. Andy's Flower Power has a good breakfast. He's also a friend of mine.

14. Firefly... I've only been once but it was good. Probably as good or better than any other formal dinner. Almost my kitchen good. PRICEY, though.

15. Another good breakfast place. Can't remember the name, but it's the eastern most business in the Publix shopping center on back beach. Behind Dunkin Donuts.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • wmflyfisherwmflyfisher Posts: 253 Deckhand
    Fatty's sandwiches on Thomas is pretty good. We have also eaten at Patches pub on east front beach (I think) and was thoroughly impressed. The cheese fries were **** good and I had a burger with pulled pork. Like I said, impressed and it's always packed. Their pizza is supposed to be good but we haven't tried it.

Speaking of restaurants on the water by boat, where do you guys recommend??

Speaking of restaurants on the water by boat, where do you guys recommend??

Joe's and the Shrimp Boat.
    Jr's rib Shack is good for bbq.

I will second shan kishi for sushi. The all you can eat deal is great. We usually do it once a week.

The boat yard was not bad for a by boat eatery.
  • SeafighterSeafighter Posts: 54 Greenhorn

We only go out for a few primary reasons: 1. To hang out with friends / drinks. 2. If I don't have fresh fish / feel like making sushi. 3. If we want to take boat to lunch / dinner.

1. My Thai on Cherry St in the Cove has some pretty good food. I really like the Pad Woon Sen. Only complaint with them is that you never know how hot it's going to be. I've had McDonalds heat, and I've had flaming **** from there the next time.

2. Shan Kishi out at W end of beach. They have an All You Can Eat Sushi deal from 12:00 to 4:00. It's like $17 and they open up almost all of the menu to you. Shrimp Boat has an AYCE sushi deal for approx same price, or a bit cheaper, but they limit what you can order and it's not that good. Scenery is a bit nicer there, but that only goes so far.

3. We tried to eat at the new place up on 77 that used to be that Indian restaurant. Supposed to be Thai and sushi now. We walked out two weeks ago, though. EEs yelling at each other and a line out the door. Two weeks in and they still has some serious opening-day pains.

4. Dee's Hangout at the beach. I've had a couple lunches there. Okay IMO, but some folks love it. Just a fry it up place, but priced approriately and pretty quick.

5. Saltwater Grill... I like the place. It's over priced, though. Actuall proposed to my wife there (only because we had a gift cert... hahah... I'm cheap. Plus, had I offered to buy a nice dinner she would have known something was up)

6. Genes over in Millville is okay. I can walk there, so we go every now and then. Wish they sold beer. Have bought some less than ideal bags of oysters from there, but that happens. On the beer front... I've neve had a problem brining in a beverage in a cup there. Just sayin'.

7. I think Kobe on 23rd st has really good sushi. Environment is pretty sorry, though.

8. There is no good BBQ in town anymore. Gosh, I sure wish Glenn's was still open. That was good stuff. Short of my BBQ or what used to be Glenn's, I guess the next best option is Outlaws. Although I have not tried any of hte options at the beach.

9. Fins in Hobby Lobby has good sushi and better environment, but is pricey I think.

10. Oh... For lunch. "Somethings Cooking" in town. 1 block E on Harrison and 11th. N side of road.

11. Liza's Kitchen on Thomas Drive another good lunch place. Sandwiches as well.

14. Firefly... I've only been once but it was good. Probably as good or better than any other formal dinner. Almost my kitchen good. PRICEY, though.

15. Another good breakfast place. Can't remember the name, but it's the eastern most business in the Publix shopping center on back beach. Behind Dunkin Donuts.

I believe it is First Watch. Outlaws does have great BBQ. Saltwater Grill is consistently good so I don't mind their waterfront prices even though they aren't waterfront.
    I thought the Boat Yard was CLOSED.

Dad's Bday
    I picked up
    Lobster
    Lump crab
    anchovies
    boiled eggs
    olives
    grape tomatoes
    greek peppers
    red bells
    cucumbers
    spanish onions
    Fetta
    romain
    dressing
    Steamed up some shrimp for a Greek salad. Going down shortly!

I think I'm good!

oh and picked up some steel head for good measure. :)
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    I think I've tried ~10/15 of those (mostly the ones on the Beach) & I would (mostly) agree w/that assessment. I've wanted to try My Thai, but we just never get over that way... I would add Fatty Patty's (Thomas Dr. across for Navy Base) has good Breakfast & a Good Cheeseburger... I've only eaten at Patches 1X, but it seems to be getting a good reputation (& that's really the sorts of places I was hoping to discover)
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,036 Moderator
    we actually just picked up my tie for dinner.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • 1811spearo1811spearo Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    Patches Pub off Thomas Drive near the state park has great food.

The Noodle House on 23rd street in the Publix shopping center has great Pho.

Finns on Thomas Drive next to Mr. Surf's has great fish tacos.
  • 85okhai85okhai Posts: 246 Officer

oh how i miss Glenns. Grew up eating BBQ there and boy do i miss it
    8aa18353-93c1-47d9-a69d-05a47ee5322c.jpg
    85okhai wrote: »
    oh how i miss Glenns. Grew up eating BBQ there and boy do i miss it

X2 ^^^^
  • YedneckYedneck Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    I'm a huge food junkie. Love to cook, but appreciate good food.

For sandwiches. Liza's kitchen
    Shrimp/fish tacos: Finns on Thomas drive. (It's a food truck stand next to mr surfs)
    Special occasion/sushi: firefly or shrimp boat. (Especially since there's a whiskey bar over shrimp boat now :) )
    Pizza: Frankie D's
    Wings: Frankie D's or Joes Corner pub
    Breakfast: another broken egg
    I've heard great reviews on My Thai bistro. Going there for the next date night with the wife
    La Michiocana.
    They speak very little english. It's like being back in the third world.
    Very authentic northern Mexico food!!
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    mustang190 wrote: »
    La Michiocana.
    They speak very little english. It's like being back in the third world.
    Very authentic northern Mexico food!!

Where ? I can' find any decent/authentic Mex.food...
    Has anyone tried Marina Cantina LATELY ? I gave up last year after ~1/2 dozen lousy meals (& equally lousy service)
  • 85okhai85okhai Posts: 246 Officer
    don't know if you've had Peppers yet RS but I think there food is good, and the service is good and portions are really big. Theres also Diego's on front beach just east of Gulf World that is really good too
    8aa18353-93c1-47d9-a69d-05a47ee5322c.jpg
    La Michiocana is a scary place to eat

http://www.city-data.com/fl-restaurants/LA-MICHOACANA-LATIN-MARKET.html

Has anyone tried Marina Cantina LATELY ? I gave up last year after ~1/2 dozen lousy meals (& equally lousy service)

NOT lately but their attitude was bad. No salsa, but said the green Tobasco was a big hit, and not even a jalapeno in the house. Then I couldn't get a plain ole rot gut Jose cuervo margarita because they only serve the blue agave. GMAFB!
    Food was nothing to write home about and a waste of a perfectly good view! sorry

Breakfast... The Egg and I is great!
    I eat there all the time. Reminds me of being in Mexico!:wink

It's in the little building just west of the Gold Nugget, next door to the tatto joint.
    Your right, the Marina cantina is a joke!