Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Heading to Pavilion Key this weekend

Greetings from the other side of the state. Going to be in the Pavilion key area this weekend. Looking to wet a line. What target species should we concentrate on? Thinking about working shorelines and creek mouths with top water and soft plastics. Maybe get some live shrimp . Never been to choko before, we just plan on working our way in from the gulf side. I have a 15’ whaler somewhat of a shallow draft but don’t want to run too deep into that area without and knowledge of depth, stumps, ect. Whatever advice I can get would be appreciated.
Thanks

Replies

• dtobiasdtobias Posts: 733 Officer
    I would concentrate on fishing the inside, See if you can find some warmer water in the back bays and up inside the rivers. Since you're unfamiliar with the 10,000 Islands, I would get a chart and study it some to get a feel for the area. This can be overwhelming at first, but time spent planning and studying will pay off big time out there on the water. A GPS is obviously a must have and an electric trolling motor is also invaluable. If you were staying for multiple days, getting a local guide is always a great option. The amount of knowledge you can acquire fishing one day with a guide could easily take you a handful of trips on your own. Shrimp is always a good idea this time of year and your plugs and plastics will work too. Slow down your presentation is my main advice. When you think you've slowed it down enough, dial it back a little more. Most fish are not willing to expend a bunch of energy in these cooler water temps. Good luck out there- the EC/Chokoloskee area is my favorite place to fish in the entire state.
  • NewberryJeffNewberryJeff Posts: 7,447 Admiral
    After spending 3 days camping (New Turkey, Watson's Place) for my first trip to that area, the most valuable tool was the coastal map chart loaded on my GPS. It even has the Wilderness Waterway plotted which is a good reference in the back country. Without it, I would have spent a lot more time chart reading instead of fishing/moving.
    You must diligently study the charts before hand and have them with you, of course.